Gunmaker Remington can be sued over marketing of rifle used in Sandy Hook shooting, court rules

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Gunmaker Remington can be sued over marketing of rifle used in Sandy Hook shooting, court rules

Post by The Annoyed Man »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 162168002/
HARTFORD, Conn. – Gunmaker Remington can be sued over how it marketed the Bushmaster rifle used to kill 20 children and six educators at Sandy Hook Elementary School in 2012, a divided Connecticut Supreme Court ruled Thursday.

Justices issued a 4-3 decision that reinstated a wrongful death lawsuit and overturned a lower court ruling that the lawsuit was prohibited by a 2005 federal law that shields gun manufacturers from liability in most cases when their products are used in crimes.
So starts the full-court press. SCOTUS is more important than ever.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

proudpirate
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Gunmaker Remington can be sued over marketing of rifle used in Sandy Hook shooting, court rules

Post by proudpirate »

This is like a carpenter suing a hammer manufacturer because he smashed his thumb. Absolutely ridiculous. :smash:

OneGun

Re: Gunmaker Remington can be sued over marketing of rifle used in Sandy Hook shooting, court rules

Post by OneGun »

Why don't the victims and their families hold the actual shooter responsible for the murders??? This is so wrong. Liberals in Action!

I am so sick and tired of reading about liberals, progressives, etc. passing the buck on who is responsible and accountable for evil. Look at Jussie Smollett, the gay black man that cried wolf and is now facing 16 felonies. He gave the brothers a check to beat him up and he got caught. All, I read now is how Jussie is really the victim of society. No, he's an adult that knows right from wrong that tried to exploit racial tension in the country for his personal gain. He is no different than any other con-artist.

[End Rant]
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Good luck with that. Again, the only ones getting rich off this is going to be the lawyers.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

PBR

Post by PBR »

So when can I sue Budweiser for getting the driver drunk that hit me?
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:24 pm https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 162168002/
HARTFORD, Conn. – Gunmaker Remington can be sued over how it marketed the Bushmaster rifle used to kill 20 children and six educators at Sandy Hook Elementary School in 2012, a divided Connecticut Supreme Court ruled Thursday.

Justices issued a 4-3 decision that reinstated a wrongful death lawsuit and overturned a lower court ruling that the lawsuit was prohibited by a 2005 federal law that shields gun manufacturers from liability in most cases when their products are used in crimes.
So was the GOP House, Senate, and POTUS that passed that federal law in 2005 and installed the last two SCOTUS justices. Votes matter.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

The end is nigh. I'm glad Mrs. Oldgringo and I were able to observe our 77th birthday's last month, together on the road, in our legally armed but modest RV.

Good luck, y'all.
Last edited by Oldgringo on Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DevilDawg

Post by DevilDawg »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:24 pm https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 162168002/

Good luck to the plaintiff, and they better start a go fund me to pay Remingtons legal fees. Thanks to the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act this is going nowhere. It was written to prevent frivolous lawsuits just like this one. The Sandy Hook murderer stole the guns relieveing Remington from any culpability. Zero standing for a lawsuit.

KLB

Post by KLB »

Here's another article on the same topic:
The statutory issue is whether violation of a state consumer protection statute by a gun manufacturer satisfies the exception for protection as a predicate act. The CT Supreme Court ruling that such a consumer protection violation was a predicate act would eviscerate the effectiveness of the PLCAA. As the NY Times describes, the consumer protection theory was that the AR-15 was marketed in a way that made it likely troubled people like Lanza would use the gun to commit a crime
https://legalinsurrection.com/2019/03/c ... remington/

striker55

Post by striker55 »

Such bull, ridiculous the crap that goes on.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

The attack on the rule of law, U.S. Constitution, natural rights, and democracy is proceeding according to plan I guess...
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

dlh
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dlh »

The marketing rationale used by the Connecticut Supreme Court is laughably absurd.
Can I sue the spinning reel company when I do not catch a fish?
Can I sue the barbell company when I do not get the six-pack abs?
Can I sue the car company when I do not get the beautiful blonde?
And so on.
Hopefully the Supreme Court of the United States will hear the case and toss this frivolous litigation.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

kayt00

Post by kayt00 »

dlh wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:51 pm The marketing rationale used by the Connecticut Supreme Court is laughably absurd.
Can I sue the spinning reel company when I do not catch a fish?
Can I sue the barbell company when I do not get the six-pack abs?
Can I sue the car company when I do not get the beautiful blonde?
And so on.
Hopefully the Supreme Court of the United States will hear the case and toss this frivolous litigation.
I think the more accurate relation would be, could a family sue Annheiser Busch, Jim Beam, or Jose Quervo because a family member was killed in a drunk driving crash. How about Ford, GM or BMW because they all create cars that travel fast enough to kill a person (speed is at least advertised).
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
All lost in a tragic kayaking incident.
Bring back BitterClinger

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 2

Post by crazy2medic »

Adam Lanza did not purchase the gun himself! He murdered his own mother and stole her guns
So how exactly does the marketing of the rifle play into that scenario???
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

The court said the could sue...but the court has not said that they would win...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

Return to “Federal”