DPS is a joke ...

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
kappatiff
Posts in topic: 2

DPS is a joke ...

Post by kappatiff »

Ok, so on the whole fingerprint thing. I DID MINE ELECTRONICALLY - and they still got returned. I haven't been on here in a while, so I haven't been keeping up with the posts, but has this happened to anyone else?

I was so ticked off that I called and committed the cardinal sin of being a HUGE smartalek to "Simone" the lady that answered the phone. I'm fairly certain, that given the way that particular interaction went, I'll still be waiting for my plastic at this time next year, but I sure did feel better afterward. :rolll

So here's how the conversation went - see if you notice the part at while I started getting my undies in a wad ...

Me: I just received a notice that my fingerprints were rejected ... I did them electronically, so I don't understand the problem
Simone: Well, they can reject fingerprints up to 5 times
Me: So you're basically telling me that if the fingerprints aren't "right" on the 5th time, they'll just get tired and push my application through?
Simone: No that's not what I'm telling you
Me: Ok, then why don't you tell me EXACTLY what it is I need to do, or who I need to talk to, in order to make sure this doesn't happen again.
Simone: All I can tell you is to get your fingerprints done electronically.
Me: But clearly that's not going to cut the mustard, is it.
Simone: We have the right to reject applications for any reason.
Me: Well, that sounds about right ... but you sure were quick to cash my check and enjoy my money. If I did my job this way, I'd be fired ... what's your excuse.

And so it went ... I know, I know, my redheadedness got the better of me. Anyway, I may be here for another 3 years. *sigh* :banghead:

BUT, has anyone else had this issue? I really am angry b/c now I have to go pay for fingerprints again. This is so sketchy ... I swear.
{The best defense against a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun}

MrsFosforos
Posts in topic: 1

Re: DPS is a joke ...

Post by MrsFosforos »

If you were my son or husband or father, this is the response I'd give you:
It wasn't the lady on the phone's fault.

If you called and talked to me like that, I would have the inclination to accidentally lose your application; but I'm guessing she deals with impatient, irate and irrational people more than I do - so she might handle it a bit more professionally than I would!

If I were you, I'd make an attempt to contact Simone and apologize, if for no other reason than, YOU were wrong to attack her like that.
OOPS --> Edited to add, I see you're a female (so scratch the son/father/husband reference, but my response would be the same if you were a girlfriend or daughter!).
Last edited by MrsFosforos on Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
kappatiff

Post by kappatiff »

Good thing I'm not your son, father, husband, etc. :hurry:
{The best defense against a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun}

XDpackinBob

Post by XDpackinBob »

I think the place that did your prints should do them again until they get it right?

You shelled out hard earned cash for a set of prints that should have worked and you did not get that. They should make it right with a new set that is clear or refund your money (I assume they got rejected due to not being clear) but it could be the forms/cards are not filled out right.

I would try this first if you think they are at falt: Take the rejection letter to the place that you used and show them that their scanned prints did not work and were rejected as per DPS and ask for a new set at no charge. If they don’t want to do that, then go elsewhere and spend the money to re-print and deal with them later.

Just an idea.
XD-40 Sub-Compact, Blackhawk! CQC Serpa level 2 and 3, Tuck This.
NRA.
TSRA.

Class. 5-14-08
Mailed. 5-15
Received. 5-19-08
96 days, Completed and active. 8-23-08
Plastic in hand. 8-27-08
First renewal complete
Second renewal pending

Bob

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Excaliber »

MrsFosforos wrote: If I were you, I'd make an attempt to contact Simone and apologize, if for no other reason than, YOU were wrong to attack her like that.
I can understand the frustration from having the already delayed process delayed further, but let's keep things in perspective. Simone didn't mess up your prints or make the determination for rejection. She simply answered your questions on what was holding up your application and the best way to proceed from here. Taking out frustration on folks who aren't responsible for it is a proven unsuccessful tactic for getting where you want to be.

We all occasionally say things we're not proud of. That's what apologies are for. Basic decency says you owe one to Simone.
Calling her and delivering one promptly and graciously will help heal a sore spot for both of you. I'm sure doing so wouldn't hurt your processing time either.
XDpackinbob wrote:I think the place where you had your prints done should do them again until they get it right?

You shelled out hard earned cash for a set of prints that should have worked and you did not get that. They should make it right with a new set that is clear or refund your money.

I would try this first: Take the rejection letter to the place that you used and show them their scanned prints did not work and were rejected as per DPS and ask for a new set at no charge. If they don’t want to do that, then go elsewhere and spend the money to re-print and deal with them later.
:iagree:
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

RugerP345

Post by RugerP345 »

Kappatiff, I've had my prints rejected two times and I’m expecting
this third set to be rejected as well. I'm going to keep my expectations
real low since I have been waiting an agonizing 160 days! :cryin

Ultimately it’s the FBI's decision whether or not to reject or accept your prints,
not DPS's. The way I understand it they (FBI) can look at your prints and
basically say "Nah these prints look OK but I think a better set can be obtained.",
rinse and repeat.

You’re not alone, it’s happened to several people on this board.
The first one that comes to mind is Mrs. OldGringo. She had 4 sets rejected
before she got her plastic.

My prints were first rolled.
Second set were FAST prints.
Third set they were rolled.

When I went online to schedule an appointment to get the third set of
prints done,the place I got them done at didn’t exist anymore. Weird
and you can’t call the place since they have no number listed. Just
the 1800 number that’s on the website.

The PD I got my prints done this last time said that if they were rejected,
they would write a letter to the DPS saying something to the affect of
"best possible prints obtainable". Good luck and I agree with the rest of
the members who have posted on this thread. You should call Simone
up and apologize. She's really nice and has helped me out several times.
She has made sure that each time I've sent my prints to them that they
get to the FBI ASAP!
Good Luck!
Ignorance and obscurantism have never produced anything other than flocks of slaves for tyranny. ~ Emiliano Zapata in a Letter to Pancho Villa

tarkus

Post by tarkus »

XDpackinBob wrote:I think the place that did your prints should do them again until they get it right?
Especially if they were FAST prints. It sounds more like they were half FAST prints.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it's on the internet, thank a geek.

bryang

Post by bryang »

kappatiff, I can understand your frustration, however, all of the post above have given you some very good advice. I do not understand why they continually reject some prints and not others. I think if they would send and explanation with the rejection as to why they were not acceptable it would indeed help considerably.

By the way, I think that an apology to Simone would probably help you more than anything, at this point.

We are all on your side and pulling for you. Keep us posted on how things turn out, okay? :thumbs2:

-geo
"I am crucified with Christ: Nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me" -Gal 2:20

NRA-TSRA-Life Member
American Legion USN-GM
"Μολών λαβέ!"

Project One Million:Texas - Get Involved - Join The NRA & TSRA -TODAY!

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Have you considered a handwritten letter to Ms.Jan Coffey, Manager of DPS' CHL department expressessing your frustration with the procedure/s while containing an apology to "Simone"...who may, or may not, be real person?

As far as "Simone's" hurt feelings go, I think it was Harry S. Truman who coined the phrase, "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen". :leaving

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

You were way out of line. That's all I've got to say.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Oldgringo wrote:As far as "Simone's" hurt feelings go, I think it was Harry S. Truman who coined the phrase, "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen".
I doubt that Harry Truman would have endorsed bad manners to a woman over the phone.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

kappatiff wrote: And so it went ... I know, I know, my redheadedness got the better of me. Anyway, I may be here for another 3 years. *sigh* :banghead:

This may end up being more prophetic than you think (perhaps deservedly). ;-)
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Excaliber »

Oldgringo wrote:As far as "Simone's" hurt feelings go, I think it was Harry S. Truman who coined the phrase, "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen". :leaving
According to kappatiff's account, Simone handled the heat admirably. She maintained a calm and professional demeanor with an abusive caller who berated her for things she had no control over, and continued to answer questions and provide help without protest. Myself and other members here called the foul on her behalf in recognition of the fact that maintaining professional demeanor under the circumstances described is stressful and unpleasant. Her conduct, while expected in her position, is a credit to DPS. IMHO, she is still owed an apology.

kappatiff wrote:I'll still be waiting for my plastic at this time next year, but I sure did feel better afterward.
kappatiff wrote:I know, I know, my redheadedness got the better of me.
I'd like to gently but firmly point out an important issue that has not yet been addressed here. The type of thinking and behavior described in this post created enough trouble using only a phone with a well intentioned person who was sincerely trying to help kappatiff. Her best interests would be served by considering the conduct a continuation of this attitude might lead to when dealing with very badly intentioned people while she's carrying a gun, and the consequences of actions can't be fixed by an apology. CHL holders need to be prepared to absorb abuse and act coolly under the most trying circumstances. Before the plastic arrives, it will be very important to get that "redheadedness" under control.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

I have learned many valuable lessons in my life. Saying this, I will be the first to admit that I was not ready for a CHL when I was 21, or thirty for that matter. I’m not a “red head” but it took me a long time to control my temper. If every one were like me, I would say a CHL shouldn’t be issued to anyone not old enough to run for the presidency. Probably the most important lesson was to “Let it go”. Some situations were not meant to be under your control. Recognize them and step back.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson USMC 1967-1970 101st. Underwater Mess Kit Repair Battalion - Spoon Platoon.

bigdadykain

Post by bigdadykain »

You do not owe an apology to anyone. Simone is a spokesperson for DPS and if she cannot accept responsiblity on behalf of DPS then she should not answer the phone or give it to someone who can be held accountable. They lost the benefit of the doubt several months ago and diserve any discontent directed at them. I think it is interesting how it is never anyone's fault and they never never never can patch you through to anyone high enough to accept responibility. It is our job to make it clear that they need tp get their crap together and if they have already stated to do so then we will let up on them when it has been completely resolved. I got my license in 69 days because I never accepted their excuses and I put a lot of pressure on them. THEY HAVE TO UNDERSTAND WHO THE BOSS IS!

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”