How long for the PIN?

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
newTexan
Posts in topic: 1

How long for the PIN?

Post by newTexan »

I mailed the packet to DPS on Oct 20, and they cashed the check on Oct 27. However, I've not gotten a PIN or anything from them. Is that normal?

Morgan
Posts in topic: 3

Re: How long for the PIN?

Post by Morgan »

request the pin online. I got mine in less than 2 hours.

Russell Bear

Post by Russell Bear »

Morgan wrote:request the pin online. I got mine in less than 2 hours.
How do you go about this? I mailed mine in early October and haven't seen mine either.
Springfield XD40 Subcompact
10/03/08 CHL class by Karen Rabe
10/07/08 Mailed Certified Application to DPS
10/11/08 Recieved Confirmation in Mail
10/15/08 DPS Posted Personal Check
11/06/08 PIN Recieved by e-mail
***Waiting****
02/14/2009 Application Completed - license issued or certificate active

Morgan

Post by Morgan »

RTFS. :biggrinjester:

HAWG1966

Post by HAWG1966 »

Hate to say it guys but your probably in for a long wait.Mailed app June 6th 08--Received pin July 12 08....Just got license 11/01 :bigmouth :cryin

Morgan

Post by Morgan »

Just saw another guy who got his in 47 days. Not business days, but total days. I think that there are a bunch of factors involved. If your initial background check goes thru fast, you're probably fast. If some jack-wad perp has the same name as you, that might slow it down...worse if he's close to your age. Way worse if you had your identity stolen by someone. I'm new to this board, but it seems to me that the wait times are all over the board, and so there must be some logic behind why some people still sail thru the process. I'd think that a fast green light on the background check not requiring "further investigation" would be a logical explanation... and it's not even about the person who needs further investigation...just sometimes "something" looks odd and that makes them hit the brakes. Just a thought.

sivart-dod

Post by sivart-dod »

I received mine about 6 days after my check cleared. Look at my timeline.

The county background checks are what take so long I think, besides them being slow. Harris county is horrible right now. I think they took a 2 month vacation or something :mrgreen:

jiannichan

Post by jiannichan »

I did my application online. The packet has the CHL # on there along with the information you put in when you filled it out online. Also, on that form, it has a PIN # on there. Is that the same PIN # that people are waiting for or is that a different one? I see some people did theirs online also, but on their sig, it has the status. Some people put on there that they did it online, packet came in, took class, then received PIN#??? Didn't they already receive it when their packet came in?
-jchan

WEC

Post by WEC »

jiannichan wrote:I did my application online. The packet has the CHL # on there along with the information you put in when you filled it out online. Also, on that form, it has a PIN # on there. Is that the same PIN # that people are waiting for or is that a different one? I see some people did theirs online also, but on their sig, it has the status. Some people put on there that they did it online, packet came in, took class, then received PIN#??? Didn't they already receive it when their packet came in?
When you fill out your application online and pay first, you will receive your PIN. Other people here request an application, fill it out by hand, and then send it in with a check. After the DPS cashes your check, that application will be assigned a PIN that will be mailed to the applicant. I would assume that once an applicant's check gets cashed by DPS, then that person could request the PIN on the DPS site. Just speculation, though!
"We are oft to blame in this / 'Tis too much proved -- that with devotion's visage / And pious action we do sugar o'er / The devil himself."
Μολὼν λαβέ | NRA Lifetime Member

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”