Don't check your status online

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
dudegreg
Posts in topic: 1

Don't check your status online

Post by dudegreg »

Does anybody here think that checking your CHL status online is usefull? I think it's a waste of time.
03/05/08 Took CHL Class
03/10/08 Mailed Packet
06/10/08 Received Pin
07/02/08 Licensed, Cocked, and Locked

Bart

Re: Don't check your status online

Post by Bart »

It doesn't make it come faster and I can see why some people might like doing it but I think it just makes it seem longer. A watched pot never boils.
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

longhorn_92

Post by longhorn_92 »

Bart wrote:It doesn't make it come faster and I can see why some people might like doing it but I think it just makes it seem longer. A watched pot never boils.

I agree.....it just adds to the frustration. A watched pot never boils.....however, your blood does - while you wait and wait and wait..... :waiting:

Believe me....this is from experience.
“If you try to shoot me, I will have to shoot you back, and I promise you I won’t miss!”

NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Member

old farmer

Post by old farmer »

Evening, :tiphat:
It helped to relieve stress of waiting. It was something to do in the morning while having coffee. The wife never checked the online site and the state gods gave her license first. :blowup
:tiphat:
God Bliss America.

RaginKajun

Post by RaginKajun »

i wouldn't know. i'm at right around 90 days since the check was cashed and i haven't received my PIN. to the best of my knowledge i have not committed any crimes that would warrant an increase in background check time.

baseballguy2001

Post by baseballguy2001 »

I haven't checked once. I wanted to check a couple of times, but after reading some posts here I thought the online status wasn't all that accurate anyway.
7.30.08 -- Plastic in hand (99 days)
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

XDpackinBob

Post by XDpackinBob »

The best status markers for me are:

Receipt back from USPS: Means the application is there sitting in their inbox waiting for the check inside to be removed.

The payment cleared (for checks sent): Means they took the application from the inbox, opened it, took the check out, closed it and put the application in the to be processed stack.

PIN letter received USPS: Means the packet was reopened and the application removed and at least the DATA on the first page entered into their system, Application placed in the processing application stack/s, finger prints sent to FBI and filed, application checked for errors, back ground check started, investigator sent to any area to confirm background DATA. Child support records searched, state tax records searched, school loan records searched and so on.

Online status "processing application": means your application is now jumping through the hoops listed above and if no problems are found a CHL will be issued in time. How long is in time? :confused5

No point in checking a lot after you see it online once, the next step is an outright rejection due to a background hit, error in the application DATA, bad finger prints or the plastic being mailed 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 months later. "rlol"

But on the other hand, I think checking once a month would be OK after 2 months have passed after the PIN arrived and the status is checked for the first time. (WOW did I just type that?) :smilelol5: This would be in the gray area of them getting it out in the "required" :rules: time frame. :smilelol5: I know how it is to be snowed under with more being piled in than is going out. And to any of the DPS CHL staff reading these posts: THANKS for your hard work
XD-40 Sub-Compact, Blackhawk! CQC Serpa level 2 and 3, Tuck This.
NRA.
TSRA.

Class. 5-14-08
Mailed. 5-15
Received. 5-19-08
96 days, Completed and active. 8-23-08
Plastic in hand. 8-27-08
First renewal complete
Second renewal pending

Bob

SRizz21

Post by SRizz21 »

I found checking status online to be a waste of time...Every time I logged in all it said was processing application. It never gives you an idea of what stage the application is or anything...I wouldn't bother...

Jesse1911

Post by Jesse1911 »

The main reason I would check is to know when to expect it and make sure mail don't get lost and some one is at home when the mail arrives.
***Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace no safety.***

BigBlueDodge

Post by BigBlueDodge »

There are times where members have checked and saw that their status has changed to the Application Complete/Issued stage. However, I feel they are in the vast minority. Generally it takes about a week or less (based on reports from members here) from the time the status changed to the Application complete stage, to when applicants recieve their license in the mail. That would mean that people would generally have to check at least 1-2 times a week to notice the change. Quite frankly, it's been almost two months since Austin received my application, and I've checked status exactly 2 times, one when I first got my pin, and another at the first of July. I don't check it obsessively like others, because I know that it is not accurate (members have reported getting their license in the mail, and site still says "Processing Application").

I think it is a complete waste of time, and personally, it would not surprise me if DPS eventually shuts down the site. To me the, "out of sight, out of mind" philosophy would work on us. If we can't check status, then we forget about the application and all of the sudden one day we are surprised to get it in the mail. If we can check status, then it seems to slow the process down much more (at least in our minds).

bryang

Post by bryang »

+1 :iagree:
"I am crucified with Christ: Nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me" -Gal 2:20

NRA-TSRA-Life Member
American Legion USN-GM
"Μολών λαβέ!"

Project One Million:Texas - Get Involved - Join The NRA & TSRA -TODAY!

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Jesse1911 wrote:The main reason I would check is to know when to expect it and make sure mail don't get lost and some one is at home when the mail arrives.
:iagree: And it gives you time to prepare your shopping list for your WallyWalkâ„¢.
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”