77 days and DPS says AT LEAST 45 more

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
pbwalker
Posts in topic: 1

77 days and DPS says AT LEAST 45 more

Post by pbwalker »

I got a call from 'Judy' at DPS in response to my request for help from my rep, Joaquin Castro. She hit me up with a bunch of DPS related info and terms, and I had to try to get her explain them several times. Apparently the background checks are back but they have to go to some other place...again, I had no idea what she was talking about. Basically she said that the people who know how to do the job are training the new hires and temps. So it is all slowing down the process. But she said that my application, where it is now, is at least 45 days away from completion. That would put me at 122 days! Over twice the LEGAL limit. This makes me MAD! That puts me close to the middle of September! This is completely unacceptable in my book and I will bring this up with my Rep again as well as Gov. Perry.

Does anyone else know what I can do?

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

jaf

Re: 77 days and DPS says AT LEAST 45 more

Post by jaf »

At this rate, I am hoping to have mine under the Christmas tree! I just submitted mine in July so I am in it for the long haul. I hope you get it soon. At least we have this forum to educate and inform us. Good Luck.
07/10/2008 - Class taken
07/16/2008 - DPS received packet
08/08/2008 - Pin mailed
08/26/2008 - Application Completed - license issued or certificate active.
08/28/2008 - License received.

mr.72

Re: 77 days and DPS says AT LEAST 45 more

Post by mr.72 »

1. If temps can do it, then it is an unskilled type of job anyway
2. It always takes time to train temps but the idea of temporary workers is that they can basically sit right down and do their job with minimal training. Spending more than one day's worth of time direct training temporary workers is a sign of a failure of management IMHO
3. I think this story, if it is not just a fluke or loaded with misinformation (as far as the DPS people telling wrong information on the phone), could be an indicator that eventually they are going to hire more employees AND increase the time allowed for the application. I would not be surprised to see the dept. staff double and the legal time limit either removed or changed to 180 days.

Welcome to bureaucracy.

This whole 2008 CHL debacle argues strongly for removal of the license requirement altogether.
non-conformist CHL holder

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”