When To Apply Before Expiration

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 3

When To Apply Before Expiration

Post by Abraham »

I maaaay have asked this before and so I looked at everything I could find on past posts and searched until crosseyed, but couldn't find out - so here goes: When should one apply for renewal before one's current CHL expires?

Thanks

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Re: When To Apply Before Expiration

Post by C-dub »

I've only renewed once now and that was a couple of years ago. I think I sent in the renewal application about 5-6 months in advance and then took the course with 2-3 months to spare and had the plastic in hand before the first one expired.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Crossfire »

As soon as you get your renewal notice from DPS. Renewals are taking at least 90 days, from what I hear.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Thanks Crossfire!

In the past, I do not remember ever receiving a renewal notice.

I don't know if it's faulty memory or that I didn't get one, ah, two...renewal notices.

infoman

Post by infoman »

6 month prior to your expiration, allow 3 months+ for processing..

tesla

Post by tesla »

Given how long I've been waiting for my initial license, I'm thinking I'd better hurry up apply for my renewal now just to get it in the queue! :biggrinjester:

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

tesla wrote:Given how long I've been waiting for my initial license, I'm thinking I'd better hurry up apply for my renewal now just to get it in the queue! :biggrinjester:
Quoted for truth. "rlol"
TANSTAAFL

MBGuy

Post by MBGuy »

Do it as soon as possible when you enter the 6 month window. It's not a good feeling when you go from carrying just about always, to not able to carry. I procastinated and now I'm paying the price. :grumble Going on 60 days... :grumble
Harry
NRA Endowment Life Member
Sig P239-40
"Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing."

ELB

Post by ELB »

You can apply for renewal 180 days (not six calendar months) prior to the expiration date. You should get a renewal notice in the mail (but of course mail can go astray). It seems that my renewal notice arrived after the 180 day point. If you try to apply online prior to the 180 day point, it will bark at you.

However, to get the fastest jump on it, you can take your renewal class prior to the 180 day point, as the legal requirement for the course is that it be no earlier than 180 days prior to the date of the application -- not the expiration date. This is what I did -- I knew CHLs were taking a long time, so I got everything together, took my renewal course the weekend prior to the 180-day point, got all my paperwork filled out and a copy of my DD214 (for my veteran's discount :patriot: ) and got it all in the mail ASAP. Thirty-five days later I had my renewed license. Unfortunately my wife dallied until right at the expiration point :grumble , took the class...and we are still waiting...
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Great info ELB.

Only now do I find out about producing a DD214 for a discount, arrrggghhhhh!

Hhmmmm, I wonder if one is over sixty and can produce a DD214 is there a possibility of an even greater cost reduction i.e., I'm aware the application cost is $35.00 if over sixty, but I wonder if being a vet can bring that down even more?

Anyone know?

infoman

Post by infoman »

Unfortunatley, no.. the veteran discount is only for people under 60.

LarryH

Post by LarryH »

In other words, you can take the veteran discount OR the over-sixty discount, but not both.

ELB

Post by ELB »

Abraham wrote:Great info ELB.

Only now do I find out about producing a DD214 for a discount, arrrggghhhhh!
I can't believe that DPS still doesn't make this clear in all the paperwork and on the website. Somewhere there's a sentence that says something about supplying proper documentation for reduced fees or something like that, but it's nowhere clear enough. I found out about it myself on this forum.

Good luck.
USAF 1982-2005

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I was unaware of the veteran discount. I thought there was only a discount for active duty. I'll have to dig out my DD214 when it's time for my renewal.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Tim_the_Bald

Post by Tim_the_Bald »

Abraham wrote:I maaaay have asked this before and so I looked at everything I could find on past posts and searched until crosseyed, but couldn't find out - so here goes: When should one apply for renewal before one's current CHL expires?

Thanks
I got my renewal letter in February and could kick myself 100 times 'till Sunday because I waited until June to take the renewal course. Had no idea there was such a backlog. Have applied for a PA CHL in case I don't get renewed before my license expires; see the other thread.

That is the last time I make that mistake.

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”