And it was over.

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Thane
Posts in topic: 2

And it was over.

Post by Thane »

From March 28, when they received the application, to June 21, when I received the card. 86 days total.

To celebrate, I carried a Taurus 85 all day at work. I'll make the obligatory "Wal-Mart Run" tomorrow after work.

I'm already rethinking my carry strategy. The Safariland shoulder holster I have for the gun is... less than optimal. It is an "inverted" vertical shoulder holster, carrying the revolver with the barrel pointed toward the sky. During the course of the day, the pistol fell out three times; fortunately, as it was under a tucked-in shirt, no gun fell on the ground, and no one noticed.

Tomorrow morning, I'm calling Kangaroo Carry. The little gun -can't- fall out of that as easily. An order to SmartCarry will also be placed, for the Colt .45.

All in all, a good "first day" of carry. Learned a couple things, no one "made" me (or at least no one said anything), and it was just a general "good day."

Thane.

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: And it was over.

Post by flintknapper »

Thane wrote: During the course of the day, the pistol fell out three times; fortunately, as it was under a tucked-in shirt, no gun fell on the ground, and no one noticed.
Thane.

I guess I'm confused. How did the pistol manage to "fall" out three times?

Is the shoulder holster you have.. made for the pistol you carried in it?

I'm not chastising, I'm just really curious how this could happen.

Thanks.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

JLaw

Re: And it was over.

Post by JLaw »

Thane wrote: Tomorrow morning, I'm calling Kangaroo Carry.
Good move, I like the Kangaroo. Only had it a few weeks but have found myself carrying in it much more lately. It may not be as fast to draw from out of a t-shirt, but a button-up or one with snaps is well suited for that holster.

JLaw

GrannyGlock

Post by GrannyGlock »

Congrats, carry safely.

Are you related to quidni?

ElGato

Post by ElGato »

What kind of grips do you have on the 85?

I think your holster is almost the same as my up-side-down Bianchi's for my K & J frame Smiths and the only way you could lose a gun from them is to have grips on it that don't allow the triggerguard to fit properly.
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

Skipper5

Post by Skipper5 »

:lol:

Congrats...and another room opens in the WR!!
Enjoy your Wally Walk! Carry safe!
TX CHL Holder
NRA Life Member
TSRA Member - Yes to Castle Doctrine! Success!!

Topic author
Thane
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Thane »

Flintknapper - The holster was made for a Colt Detective. S&W firearms also fit, but a tad more loosely. Thus, if I lean forward too sharply (or slip on a wet floor and fall on my butt, as happened once), the pistol gets "pulled" out by gravity. Still, as it was a used holster in excellent condition, the thing was a "reasonable gamble," especially for five bucks. It'd still be a great holster for "suit carry," where I'm less likely to be moving around (or falling) quite so energetically.

[Edit] I've decided to hang up the shoulder holster for a while, until I can figure out some better way to work things. I'll make do with other methods of carry. [/Edit]

ElGato - I've got Hogue Monogrips on it. They're small, yet still fit my hand. I think it's trigger guard shape, though, not grip shape, that's causing this. I'll have to look into other holsters (or just look for a Colt Detective).

GrannyGlock - Yes, Quidni and I are related; she's my mother.

JLaw - I'll likely use the Kangaroo with a polo shirt. Draw would be a tad cumbersome, but doable.

Skipper5 - WallyWalk went well; even a Sherrif passed me by without a second glance, and I had a 5" 1911 Rock Island .45 on my belt, along with two extra magazines. The only problem of any sort was the rather -strong- wind that kept trying to flap my cover garment every which way.

All in all, a decent day.
Last edited by Thane on Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Welcome out of the WR. Keep shooting w/ Mom. That is fun from one side of Texas to the other.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”