Anyone familiar with being a new resident?

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
sfemti33
Posts in topic: 2

Anyone familiar with being a new resident?

Post by sfemti33 »

I am just curious if my situation is on par with others in my same boat. I am a new resident to the state and have only been here about 4 months. Took my class at the beginning of October and sent my documents in around October 10th. They finally acknowledged it at the end of October. I called last week and after being on hold I was told something to the affect of "It's just waiting to be cleared" and he had no other information. I keep seeing individuals in this forum with 40 day waits from mailbox to mailbox and I'm getting a bit concerned. My status has been in background for about 6 weeks. Like I said, I am new to the state and all of my work history/background would not be here. Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Anyone familiar with being a new resident?

Post by Jumping Frog »

Patience.

Just curious, did you have a Texas DL when you applied?

When I moved to Texas, mine took a little longer than the average. I wasn't too concerned because I was already carrying here on a different state's reciprocal license.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Topic author
sfemti33
Posts in topic: 2

Post by sfemti33 »

Jumping Frog wrote:Patience.

Just curious, did you have a Texas DL when you applied?

When I moved to Texas, mine took a little longer than the average. I wasn't too concerned because I was already carrying here on a different state's reciprocal license.
Yes, I got the Texas DL a few weeks prior to the course. I am also carrying on a reciprocal, but I would prefer to have the TXCHL.

smoothoperator
Posts in topic: 1

Post by smoothoperator »

If a new applicant has worked and lived in Texas for the past five years, DPS only has to check Texas paper records, in addition to the computer check. If a new applicant lived outside Texas in the 5 year misdemeanor window, DPS checks the records in those places too. At least they used to, but I don't know after budget cuts with no fees cut but that's another story. Long story short, maybe they're waiting to hear back from your previous county of residence.

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”