Renew online after license expires?

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Tephlon
Posts in topic: 3

Renew online after license expires?

Post by Tephlon »

Hey Gents--
I look around but didn't find anyone discussing my particular situation. I'm sorry if this has been covered a million times.

So my CHL expired in March of this year-- I just plain forgot it was expiring. I hear you normally get a reminder in the mail but I never saw one.
Anyways, so I followed the link to the renewal site (https://txapps.texas.gov/txapp/txdps/chl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), put in my DL number and DOB but the next screen doesn't offer me anything about renewal (only change of address, etc).

My understanding is that there is a 1 year grace period after expiration to renew your license-- is that not true for online renewals?

Does anyone know what the process is now to renew an expired license still inside the 1 yr grace period?
"Knowledge is knowing that tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is understanding that it doesn't belong in a fruit salad."

jmra

Re: Renew online after license expires?

Post by jmra »

IIRC the 1 year grace period was removed from the code with the changes that went into effect in Sep. I know that people were successful after Sep in renewing expired CHLs without going through the initial process again. I assume they were able to do that online. However, the website has gone through some recent updates. You might have just found one of them.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

jmra

Post by jmra »

sbrawley wrote:This was taken from the DPS website:
House Bill 48
Effective: Sept. 1, 2013
Relating to the procedure where a person may renew a CHL.
##Eliminates the requirements for CHL holders to complete a renewal course, or demonstrate proficiency, to renew the license.
##CHL holders will continue to have an option to submit the renewal application online.
##CHL may be renewed for up to one year after expiration. There is no grace period for continuing to carry, once the CHL has expired.
That is probably correct, but the DPS website also says you can't carry in churches or hospitals. I hope you don't believe that.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

jbarn
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jbarn »

I am an instructor. This wwas covered in instructor renewal class. One can renew, online, up to a year after expiration.

OP, be sure you are clicking the link for returning users. https://txapps.texas.gov/txapp/txdps/chl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

stavos

Post by stavos »

sbrawley wrote:According to the bill, we have to renew before expiration
That's true but DPS doesn't always follow the law.

infoman

Post by infoman »

It's 100% true- you can renew up to one year after it expires. I know for fact.

Topic author
Tephlon

Post by Tephlon »

Thanks for the replies everyone.
I've double checked and I'm logging in correctly on the site and the option for me to renew doesn't show up.

I've emailed the customer service center and hopefully will hear from them tomorrow.
I'll let you all know what I find out in case it can help someone else.
"Knowledge is knowing that tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is understanding that it doesn't belong in a fruit salad."

jmra

Post by jmra »

Tephlon wrote:Thanks for the replies everyone.
I've double checked and I'm logging in correctly on the site and the option for me to renew doesn't show up.

I've emailed the customer service center and hopefully will hear from them tomorrow.
Please do. I'm always fascinated by the inner workings of DPS.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Tephlon wrote:Thanks for the replies everyone.

Good luck on hearing from them within a week. Their response time to emails is very slow probably due to the large volume of emails they receive.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
Tephlon

Post by Tephlon »

So strange twist of fate--

I started cleaning my office today and I found a stack of mail my wife must have set in my office for some reason. We have a system of checking mail and I'm not sure how or why this stack was misplaced.

One of the envelopes contained my new CHL!
I have no record or memory of renewing my license, and I'm normally pretty diligent about printing such things to pdf and storing them in an organized folder in dropbox. My DL renewal and all vehicle and boat renewals are in this folder as I would expect-- but no record of a CHL renewal.

The envelope was post marked 2/18/14 and there was absolutely nothing else in the envelope. No letter or text of any kind. Just the card.
I checked my bank account from the new year to Feb 18 and can find no transaction from the DPS.

I also never heard any response from my email to the state-- but maybe they just looked in the system and determined I was nuts. Who knows.

CoolBreeze

Post by CoolBreeze »

Tephlon wrote:So strange twist of fate--

I started cleaning my office today and I found a stack of mail my wife must have set in my office for some reason. We have a system of checking mail and I'm not sure how or why this stack was misplaced.

One of the envelopes contained my new CHL!
I have no record or memory of renewing my license, and I'm normally pretty diligent about printing such things to pdf and storing them in an organized folder in dropbox. My DL renewal and all vehicle and boat renewals are in this folder as I would expect-- but no record of a CHL renewal.

The envelope was post marked 2/18/14 and there was absolutely nothing else in the envelope. No letter or text of any kind. Just the card.
I checked my bank account from the new year to Feb 18 and can find no transaction from the DPS.

I also never heard any response from my email to the state-- but maybe they just looked in the system and determined I was nuts. Who knows.

Congrats! :cheers2:
The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed. -Thomas Jefferson
Never Shoot a Large Caliber Man with a Small Caliber Bullet
IANAL - Please do not assume anything in my posts is legal advice

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”