Things to do while waiting

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Kevo
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Things to do while waiting

Post by Kevo »

Not everyone is a fan, but I am so far... Alien Gear cloak tuck 3.0 came today... wearing it around the house to get used to it until my plastic comes
Attachments
IMG_20160708_9117.jpg

LTCTLB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by LTCTLB »

Kevo wrote:Not everyone is a fan, but I am so far... Alien Gear cloak tuck 3.0 came today... wearing it around the house to get used to it until my plastic comes
I love mine...I wear it everyday.
LTC training: 1/30/16; Application (online): 5/10; Fingerprints: 5/11; CHL100 submitted (online): 5/11; All docs received email from RSD: 5/12; Status change: 6/11; Plastic in hand: 6/13/16

MrMcCullster

Post by MrMcCullster »

Something else I just remembered........

start updating your wardrobe.

I wear a 38 waist in all of my pants and shorts (with room to tuck in my collared work shirts). I've worn an IWB holster and feel it's too tight, so I'll need to get a few pairs (probably not completely replace, although I see that eventually happening as I carry more and more when I get my plastic) of size 40 (or whatever the next size up is) to accommodate the gun and holster.

Not a big deal and probably lower than all of the other things mentioned, but definitely something on the list.

mupepe

Post by mupepe »

This bought a holster today. And also evaluated my wardrobe.
IMG_20160716_191209_01.jpg
I'm also now carrying in my house getting used to it and trying to find the perfect placement

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

First, let me say that the humongous surge in LTC applicants the past number of months very much warms my heart. I hope we have a large percentage of female applicants in that mix; we'll see in the DPS stats next year.

Guys, do everything you can to talk to your friend, sister, co-worker, significant other, or wife about the logic and practicality of legally carrying a firearm. Women are still the most underserved LTC demographic, yet the most likely to be the target of a Violent Criminal Actor.

Second, as others have said, don't just practice carrying at home...practice!

Over the years, I've spoken with CHL/LTC holders who go to the range a few times a year, stand at a bench at a prescribed distance, slow-fire a single aimed round no less than every four seconds at a paper target, and call that practice. Sight-picture and trigger practice (though the latter may address trigger follow-through but ignores trigger reset and follow-up shots on target) are about all they can get out of it. I would not trust them on my six.

Deciding to carry a gun is 80% of the battle. But understanding how to properly use it, and ingrain that use through practice is, Pareto's Law, the critical 20%.

Yes, professional instruction is the best way to do this. Well over a decade ago, I set out on a quest to take training classes from the most notable facilities/instructors in the country. Made it to 2011 before I decided funds and any possible new information didn't justify continuing.

That's a valuable journey, but one that isn't absolutely necessary.

Long before YouTube, there was dry-fire. Buy some SnapCaps. Have zero live rounds in the room in which you choose to practice. Zero, nada, nunca, none.

Pick a target, like a vase over the fireplace. Move off the X. Give a verbal warning to keep back (you should ingrain a verbal warning on a loop). Engage. Vary it by using concealment like your couch. Engage multiple targets. Practice clearing your home, including that death-trap stairwell.

If you have a liked-minded friend, get an Airsoft gun (that fits in your EDC holster and has the same basic manual-at-arms) and a paintball mask. Conduct surprise force-on-force scenarios. They will enlighten you, I guarantee.

IMHO, at least 80% of your practice should be without live ammo. Now and always.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Extremely important words of wisdom Skiprr! :thumbs2:

The words hold true to someone new to CHL/LTC but also for those who've had the license for a number of years. They NEVER become obsolete.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
kevin1
Posts in topic: 3

Post by kevin1 »

I’m debating if I need a prepaid legal service or not; and if I do which companies are GTG. I named one of them and it was changed to “Pre-paid legal service”. We’re not allowed to discuss/compare actual names?

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

kevin1 wrote:I’m debating if I need a prepaid legal service or not; and if I do which companies are GTG. I named one of them and it was changed to “Pre-paid legal service”. We’re not allowed to discuss/compare actual names?
I don't think we're allowed to mention, well, you know. It's one of the rules, 22 IIRC.

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

Does anyone here have a Tagua holster? I use their Quick Draw minimal leather holster. Only thing i dont like about it...it doesnt have the extra leather on top to keep the holster open for reholstering.

TXPeaceOfficerDave
Banned

Post by TXPeaceOfficerDave »

Here is an idea that you might like to try while you're waiting. Go read a book called "Verbal Judo". Very well written book and it is used by a variety of law enforcement agencies as a verbal tool to calm down tensious situations that can directly lead up to a shooting. You'll likely find it a good read.

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”