Renewal frustration...

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
RogueUSMC
Posts in topic: 5

Renewal frustration...

Post by RogueUSMC »

At the end of last month, my wife says, "your birthday is in January." I said, "yep, it is!"...then thought, "my LTC expires on that date!"

I said, "I didn't get my renewal notification!" She says, "yeah, you did. It's right here."

I sat down and filled out the application. I got all the way through it, put my card info in and hit submit. I got the little working icon for a few minutes and then an error page that said the page could not be displayed. It was the weekend but I used the contact form on their website to ask if it went through. it was Tuesday before I got a response that said they have no record of it.

So, on the 6th of December, I submitted my renewal againonline. I waited about three days and went to check and it said "please allow for sufficient time." I checked again the next week and it had the option to start a new application. I thought, "doesn't that usually mean the process is complete? Cool! It should be in the mailbox in plenty of time!"

Two weeks go by and I checked the day after Christmas to see and now I see a checklist that says fingerprints and background check in process. So I checked again this morning and it is still the same.

I called the regulatory services number and, during the conversation, it was stated multiple times that they are allowed up to 60 days. No 'we'll try to get it done' or I apologize for the delay'...just a 'we've got 60 days. It's kind of irritating. But get this! The 60 days didn't start until the 16th of December. I guess it takes ten days for DPS to realize you have submitted the electronic application on their website?

Now, when I got my license the first time, it was REALLY frustrating. I submitted the applications for myself and my mother-in-law within an hour of each other. She had to go back and redo fingerprints twice and still got her license in less than a month and a half. 90 days go by and mine was still saying doing background check.

I ended up contacting my representatives and they got a hold of DPS and I have my license in-hand in less than two weeks after that.

Am I just unlucky? I mean, I know I submitted later than I could have but dang! It is a 60 day process but I guess they get to decide when your 60 days starts. It's an electronic application that gave me an email notification almost instantly but it took them a week and a half to realize they had it?

I'm sorry. I am just feeling a little frustrated right now...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

johncanfield
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Renewal frustration...

Post by johncanfield »

Been there. I had some major health issues when my renewal notice came in the mail so that wasn't on my radar. When life got back to mostly normal, it dawned on me my license was going to expire - and soon. So I didn't carry for about six weeks or so. Not a good feeling when the gun has been my hip for five years.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

Nutcracker
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Nutcracker »

I'm sorry to hear about your frustration with Texas DPS. Maybe getting an Arizona license would help.
Ho, Ho! Hey, Hey!
Kavanaugh is here to stay!

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Nutcracker wrote:I'm sorry to hear about your frustration with Texas DPS. Maybe getting an Arizona license would help.
How would that help? He already has his renewed license in hand.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Nutcracker

Post by Nutcracker »

Keith B wrote:
Nutcracker wrote:I'm sorry to hear about your frustration with Texas DPS. Maybe getting an Arizona license would help.
How would that help? He already has his renewed license in hand.
It sounded like he had to contact his representatives to get Texas DPS to issue his original license and now he is still waiting on the renewal and they just say they have 60 days. I'm sorry if I misunderstood, but if not then maybe trying a different state is a quick and easy solution.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Ho, Ho! Hey, Hey!
Kavanaugh is here to stay!

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

You are correct, I misread it. Getting an out of state license is never that quick. Most take at least a month or so. However, having a second license as a backup for one that gets lost or expires by accident to cover you in the interim is not a bad idea.

As for timing, I am sure it will show up soon. The only issue is with the holidays the background checks and processing may take a little longer due to people being off on vacation, etc.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

My status still says background check and fingerprints still under review...SMH

Maybe I am just unlucky.

I am wondering if the guy on the phone also made a note to make mine take maximum time...lol. He certainly wasn't very helpful or encouraging...
- Napoleon Bonaparte

Topic author
RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

What irritates me the most I think is that my wait time didn't start until ten days after I submitted my application electronically. I guess it takes them that long for their website to let them know it was there.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

allisji

Post by allisji »

Why does the renewal process get 60 days?

They shouldn't have to do a full background check, and they already have the fingerprints.

In the year 2018 this process should be easily automated. Electronic application is received. Electronic background check commences (only needs to include the period of time since the previous license was issued), if no disqualifiers were identified then it should automatically go to printing.

It shouldn't even require a DPS agent to look at it unless something iffy shows up on the background.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

allisji wrote:Why does the renewal process get 60 days?

They shouldn't have to do a full background check, and they already have the fingerprints.

In the year 2018 this process should be easily automated. Electronic application is received. Electronic background check commences (only needs to include the period of time since the previous license was issued), if no disqualifiers were identified then it should automatically go to printing.

It shouldn't even require a DPS agent to look at it unless something iffy shows up on the background.
Government Code 411.185 LICENSE RENEWAL PROCEDURE
(e) The department shall renew the license of a license holder who meets all the eligibility requirements to continue to hold a license and submits all the renewal materials described by Subsection (a). Not later than the 45th day after receipt of the renewal materials, the department shall issue the renewed license or notify the license holder in writing that the department denied the license holder’s renewal application.

Page 14 of LTC-16 (revised), January 2018 edition.
http://www.dps.texas.gov/InternetForms/Forms/LTC-16.pdf
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

allisji

Post by allisji »

oljames3 wrote:
allisji wrote:Why does the renewal process get 60 days?

Government Code 411.185 LICENSE RENEWAL PROCEDURE
(e) The department shall renew the license of a license holder who meets all the eligibility requirements to continue to hold a license and submits all the renewal materials described by Subsection (a). Not later than the 45th day after receipt of the renewal materials, the department shall issue the renewed license or notify the license holder in writing that the department denied the license holder’s renewal application.

Page 14 of LTC-16 (revised), January 2018 edition.
http://www.dps.texas.gov/InternetForms/Forms/LTC-16.pdf
hmm, if the law states that they only have 45 days, then the office is wrong in telling the OP that they have 60 days. I would still contend that license renewal should be automated and should take less than 30 days, except for rare special cases.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Topic author
RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

I was frustrated when I called them. He just kept telling me how long they had to get it done. I haven't had so much as a speeding ticket since they did my background check the first time.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

infoman

Post by infoman »

You have no reason to be frustrated until day 46. You mentioned paying online on Dec 6th I believe. Mark your calendar to call in Jan 21st. Until then take a big chill pill. don’t call, email, check status until that date. Just advice.

Topic author
RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

But according to the guy on the phone at regulatory services, the 45 days didn't start until the 16th...
- Napoleon Bonaparte

loktite

Post by loktite »

That's correct. It's the same as if you had snail-mailed it. The timer doesn't start until someone has actually eyes-on verified and entered it into their work queue. AFAIK, the online submission only puts your application into the "inbox," it isn't actually in their queue yet. I'm not saying I agree with the timing, but that's my understanding of how it's working.
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”