App. process time if I recently held LTC in Washington st?

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
CHEFINSHORTS
Posts in topic: 2

App. process time if I recently held LTC in Washington st?

Post by CHEFINSHORTS »

1st time poster here. Would love some help. Thx everyone!

I have read the recent topic about the 2019 processing times, And it is pretty apparent that your past police record plays a large part in the wait time.

My question is related to the fingerprint process.

In the past, before gaining Texas residency, I had held a Washington St. CPL (the equivalent to TX LTC) that just recently expired in 2017. Will this allow me to use those prints already on file with the feds without needing to submit new ones? Or will I still need to provide a new set, special just for Texas?

Also, would this possibly speed up background check process time?

I have no criminal record or DUI. The only time I've ever been to jail was for 'failure to appear' bench warrants for minor traffic violations. For which have all since been paid off.

Also, any other notes form those that have moved from another state with an equivalent license and recently applied for your Tx LTC.

Thank you all in the Texas LTC community for your help. Cheers!

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Re: App. process time if I recently held LTC in Washington st?

Post by Jusme »

Welcome to the forum! :tiphat:

I'm pretty sure you will have submit new prints, but it is not that inconvenient. You will be given a list of outlets in your area, to have them done. I don't know if previously holding a permit from another State will speed up the process, since they will start a new background check anyway.

What usually slows things down is if you have moved from another State, since they have to obtain any background info from that State, and some are slower to respond than others. Traffic tickets, should not slow down the process, but if you were arrested, be sure to submit, final disposition documentation.
Good luck, and keep us updated.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

skeathley

Post by skeathley »

The FBI requires a new set every time. A license from another state is irrelevant to the Texas process.

:smash:
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

txpilot

Post by txpilot »

skeathley wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:47 am The FBI requires a new set every time. A license from another state is irrelevant to the Texas process.

Not always. I think it depends on the quality of the prints on file, and since Texas (mostly) uses digital prints, once they have a good set, you should be OK. I just renewed recently and did not have to get new prints.

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

txpilot wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:37 am
skeathley wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:47 am The FBI requires a new set every time. A license from another state is irrelevant to the Texas process.

Not always. I think it depends on the quality of the prints on file, and since Texas (mostly) uses digital prints, once they have a good set, you should be OK. I just renewed recently and did not have to get new prints.
For a new (Texas LTC) applicant a new set of prints will be required. Even if the prints had been done in Texas for another requirement (ie, RN, EMT, real estate agent, adoption, etc), a new set of prints would be required (they're only used for the sole purpose of that specific background check).

Once the DPS has a good set of prints for the LTC, they will continue to use those for all future renewals (unless you let your LTC expire for more than 1 year, & the DPS purges your data from their system. In that case, you'd need to re-apply as if you never had a TX LTC).

But, as Jusme said, it's a relatively easy process.

infoman

Post by infoman »

I’ll also add in that it makes zero difference in background check times if you had an out of state gun license or not.

Topic author
CHEFINSHORTS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by CHEFINSHORTS »

Okok. Thank you all for the information.

Washington had us fingerprint at the police station for which I turned in my license application. No extra fee charged.

What about if I have previously used identgo for fingerprinting for TSA pre-check. Would those prints be accessible for use?

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

CHEFINSHORTS wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:20 am Okok. Thank you all for the information.

Washington had us fingerprint at the police station for which I turned in my license application. No extra fee charged.

What about if I have previously used identgo for fingerprinting for TSA pre-check. Would those prints be accessible for use?
Nope. As was said earlier. Previous, prints may be used from the same agency. It doesn't matter they don't care.
I've done prints. for CASA Security clearance. LTC, TSA and TWIC. Identigo gets richer and their lobbyists and bought politicians have been a worthy investment.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”