Didn't Know I Had a Stroke

Whether the need is great or small, there is power in prayer, especially when God's people raise their voices together.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
kayt00
Posts in topic: 7

Didn't Know I Had a Stroke

Post by kayt00 »

A couple of weeks ago I had an incident where I needed to go to the ER because I had a sudden onset of double vision.  The ER performed some tests and they came back clear and I was discharged.  Since then I had appointments with an ophthalmologist, and neurologist both of who were unable to locate any issues however my neurologist did schedule another MRI to be performed this past Monday.  Yesterday evening around 7pm I got a call from none other than my neurologist stating that the new MRI showed indications of me having a stroke at some point between last September and this past Monday.  He stated that it did not look to be recent but that the evidence was there. 

Last week I got a call from one of my brothers to explain that he had seen a cardiologist for symptoms that he experienced while he was scuba diving in Mexico.  His diagnosis was that he has what is known as a PFO, which in layman’s terms is essentially a condition during development in the womb resulting in a hole between the upper chambers of the heart.  This is fairly common and most of the time people live full lives without ever knowing that they have it but in some cases people with a PFO experience migraine (aura headaches) and PFO’s can cause strokes in “younger” individuals. 

I have follow-ups on Monday with both Cardio and Neuro to see if we can get to a root cause and figure out what the preventative plan will be. Right now it's a baby aspirin every night and I've been increasing my water intake.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
All lost in a tragic kayaking incident.
Bring back BitterClinger

AndyC1911
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Didn't Know I Had a Stroke

Post by AndyC1911 »

Wow! Keep us updated on this, that's a shock! :shock:

madwildcat

Post by madwildcat »

Praying for you man. PFO is one of those silent killer things that I keep hoping will eventually fall under some of our standard testing once technology gets good enough to make it cheap for everyone to be tested. That tiny hole makes it to where small clots that would have been caught in your lungs can make it to your brain and cause the strokes in younger people.

Topic author
kayt00

Post by kayt00 »

madwildcat wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:44 pm Praying for you man. PFO is one of those silent killer things that I keep hoping will eventually fall under some of our standard testing once technology gets good enough to make it cheap for everyone to be tested. That tiny hole makes it to where small clots that would have been caught in your lungs can make it to your brain and cause the strokes in younger people.
Indeed, the only reason it was caught in my younger brother is because he broke out in a rash after a shallow dive in Mexico which had never happened to him before and he's dived multiple times. Evidently the rash was due to nitrogen in his blood breaking smaller capillaries in his skin as it was never expelled through his lungs.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
Bring back BitterClinger

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

kayt00 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:54 pm
madwildcat wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:44 pm Praying for you man. PFO is one of those silent killer things that I keep hoping will eventually fall under some of our standard testing once technology gets good enough to make it cheap for everyone to be tested. That tiny hole makes it to where small clots that would have been caught in your lungs can make it to your brain and cause the strokes in younger people.
Indeed, the only reason it was caught in my younger brother is because he broke out in a rash after a shallow dive in Mexico which had never happened to him before and he's dived multiple times. Evidently the rash was due to nitrogen in his blood breaking smaller capillaries in his skin as it was never expelled through his lungs.
"Lucky illness".

We have a family friend that recently benefited from a "Lucky Illness". Having an MRI from the earlier episode allowed the Doc to see the rate of growth of a benign brain tumor, leading to the decision to remove it "right now", rather than wait and see. Mysterious ways, indeed.

Prayers for your full recovery, kayt00.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
kayt00

Post by kayt00 »

Thanks for the prayers ya'll.

Have an update. Saw the cardiologist and neurologist on Monday. I'm now currently wearing a heart monitor for a month to check and watch for AFib I guess. Next Tuesday I have an appointment for an Echocardiogram w/ bubbles to check for the PFO and I'm also now on cholesterol meds, LDL was sitting at 167. Evidently it's a genetic thing, my dad has cholesterol issues as well was prescribed meds, and he tried going off the meds and tried to just eat right and exercise...he lost 30lbs and his levels actually went up so that's a thing evidently. Bright side it was caught early I guess so corrective actions can be taken.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
Bring back BitterClinger

Topic author
kayt00

Post by kayt00 »

Just more updates: TEE was positive for PFO and repairable, ultrasound of legs was clear, heart monitor reported back no evidence of having Atrial Fibrillation.

Scheduled to have the PFO repaired on Friday via the cath lab.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
Bring back BitterClinger

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Prayers sent
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

If you or your family need anything, let me know.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Take care. We're sending prayers your way. That's how we do here...at least speaking for myself a 17 yr member of the Forum.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Prayers sent!

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Prayers sent from here too.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Prayers from here also
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

powerboatr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by powerboatr »

BIG time prayers to be 100% and resume normal life.

this very similar event also happened to my dad. twice, he went to ER with chest pain and weird arm stuff
ER kept blaming it on his diabetes, ran all sorts of tests, nothing stood out. Said he had thick blood and to donate blood regularly

he had an eye doctor appointment a few weeks later and BAM the eye doc asked him when he had the stroke.

one would think an ER would have an eye guy around to maybe look and see how your eyeballs are doing.
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Topic author
kayt00

Post by kayt00 »

My life's been pretty normal since I found out aside from having had more Dr's appointments in a very short amount of time as compared to any other time since birth. Still hunt, shoot, exercise, and annoy my S.O. Others have stated that strokes are far more common than people think, I'm just hoping to be able to stack the odds more in my favor by having the leak patched.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
Bring back BitterClinger

Return to “Prayer Requests & Updates”