Prayers for my wife

Whether the need is great or small, there is power in prayer, especially when God's people raise their voices together.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
RPBrown
Posts in topic: 3

Prayers for my wife

Post by RPBrown »

Long story-short version: My wife has struggled with back issues for years. She has had 2 spinal fusions, both of which helped for a while. 2 years ago, she started having issues again. she didn't want to have another major surgery so we spoke to our family doctor (also a friend) and he set an appointment with a pain management doc. The PM doc talked to is about a spinal stimulator. He said she could go through a trial to see if it worked for her. She decided to try it so she was scheduled with a surging to do the procedure. Basically its (2) 26" leads placed in her back attached to a control/battery pack and attached to an IPad. The trial worked great so she decided to go with the fully installed version in which the leads and control/battery pack is surgically installed. Her recovery time is about a week. This version has not worked at all and the manufactures rep that is supposed to be at each of her appointments to assist and adjust as needed has only shown up a couple of times.
2 weeks ago she had another appointment with the surgeon because she was ready to just have it removed. He found that 1 side was not even connecting and the other side would not adjust past a minimum setting. He stated that they have started having issues with this brand as well as their reps. He convinced her to try another brand that he likes a LOT better and has great success with. So, on Nov. 13 she is going in to have the old one removed and a new one installed. Please pray that not only does the surgery go well but also the new device works as its supposed to.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Prayers for my wife

Post by Excaliber »

My wife has similar longstanding major back issues and also had 2 spinal fusion surgeries that were only partially successful.

She tried a stimulator over a decade ago and it failed (don't remember the manufacturer).

Her current pain management doctor suggested she take another look at the technology which had advanced a lot since her first experience. The trial was successful, and she had the permanent implant done over a year ago. It is working very well, and when adjustments are needed the rep is very easy to reach and very responsive. We're very pleased. The manufacturer is Boston Scientific.

I hope this info might help your wife as well.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

TxRVer
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TxRVer »

Praying for your wife to find relief from her pain. Some people have wonderful results from the stimulators.
Charlie

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Praying for you wife in his name. Amen.

God bless you both.

Topic author
RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Excaliber wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:09 am My wife has similar longstanding major back issues and also had 2 spinal fusion surgeries that were only partially successful.

She tried a stimulator over a decade ago and it failed (don't remember the manufacturer).

Her current pain management doctor suggested she take another look at the technology which had advanced a lot since her first experience. The trial was successful, and she had the permanent implant done over a year ago. It is working very well, and when adjustments are needed the rep is very easy to reach and very responsive. We're very pleased. The manufacturer is Boston Scientific.

Thank you. That is the manufacture she will be going with. The previous was Abbott Labs
TSRA-Life member

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Praying for your wife my friend. I never tried the stimulator, but I had five trials with the pain pump. The leads would come unconnected and I would leak spinal fluid. Then I would have the worse headaches known to man. They would take me to the OR and do what they called a “blood patch” after a while I told them no more. The best thing I have done is the ketamine infusions. It was definitely not fun, but has done so much to take me back to where sometimes I get away with a tylenol.

If I can be help just down the street please let me know.

JRG

Post by JRG »

RPBrown wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:24 am Long story-short version: My wife has struggled with back issues for years. She has had 2 spinal fusions, both of which helped for a while. 2 years ago, she started having issues again. she didn't want to have another major surgery so we spoke to our family doctor (also a friend) and he set an appointment with a pain management doc. The PM doc talked to is about a spinal stimulator. He said she could go through a trial to see if it worked for her. She decided to try it so she was scheduled with a surging to do the procedure. Basically its (2) 26" leads placed in her back attached to a control/battery pack and attached to an IPad. The trial worked great so she decided to go with the fully installed version in which the leads and control/battery pack is surgically installed. Her recovery time is about a week. This version has not worked at all and the manufactures rep that is supposed to be at each of her appointments to assist and adjust as needed has only shown up a couple of times.
2 weeks ago she had another appointment with the surgeon because she was ready to just have it removed. He found that 1 side was not even connecting and the other side would not adjust past a minimum setting. He stated that they have started having issues with this brand as well as their reps. He convinced her to try another brand that he likes a LOT better and has great success with. So, on Nov. 13 she is going in to have the old one removed and a new one installed. Please pray that not only does the surgery go well but also the new device works as its supposed to.
I am following this with interest. My wife has not had any fusions, but is having back pains on a frequent basis. Advil is her best friend. I am praying for your wife RPBrown and hope this latest implant is the one that helps her the most. Please keep us informed.

Joe

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

Prayers sent, and will be sustained.
I'm also afraid my wife is on this path, although not far down it.

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

carlson1 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:28 am Praying for your wife my friend. I never tried the stimulator, but I had five trials with the pain pump. The leads would come unconnected and I would leak spinal fluid. Then I would have the worse headaches known to man. They would take me to the OR and do what they called a “blood patch” after a while I told them no more. The best thing I have done is the ketamine infusions. It was definitely not fun, but has done so much to take me back to where sometimes I get away with a tylenol.

If I can be help just down the street please let me know.
Very glad to hear the ketamine treatments are working for you! Prayers will continue.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

RPBrown wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:04 am
Excaliber wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:09 am My wife has similar longstanding major back issues and also had 2 spinal fusion surgeries that were only partially successful.

Thank you. That is the manufacture she will be going with. The previous was Abbott Labs
We heard no good things about the Abbott product, and lots of good stuff about the Boston Scientific version.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

rtschl

Post by rtschl »

Praing...
Ron
NRA Member

RKirkwood

Post by RKirkwood »

Praying for her to be pain free!

Topic author
RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

UPDATE:
First, thank you all for the prayers.
She had her surgery yesterday and went home last night. The surgery lasted about an hour longer than expected due to the scar tissue around the old leads. She is pretty sore and has a sore throat but thats to be expected. Due to her COPD, she had a difficult time coming out of the anesthetic but it all worked out.
I was mistaken on the brand of the device. The one they installed is a NEVRO. From the research we have done, it is supposed to be one of the tops in the country. I will let everyone know how it works after a few weeks.
Last edited by RPBrown on Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TSRA-Life member

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I am sorry my friend. Praying fervently for you and the family. We lift your wife up several times in prayers. If I can be a help please let me know.

Carl

philip964

Post by philip964 »

So glad to her surgery is finished and she is home.

Saying a prayer for her continued improvement.

Return to “Prayer Requests & Updates”