Going to the desert

Whether the need is great or small, there is power in prayer, especially when God's people raise their voices together.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Papabear37
Posts in topic: 7

Going to the desert

Post by Papabear37 »

I'm about to go to Saudi Arabia for a three month consulting assignment. From what I see on the State Department's site, I might need a few prayers. It never hurts, that's for sure.
Thanks

longtooth
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Going to the desert

Post by longtooth »

Will pray for you when I do the troops.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

I pray for you and every honest person that travels and works in dangerous and inhospitable places.

- Jim

Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

You are on my list as well.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson USMC 1967-1970 101st. Underwater Mess Kit Repair Battalion - Spoon Platoon.

Topic author
Papabear37

Post by Papabear37 »

Thanks folks. I really appreciate your kindness.
Vern

bryang

Post by bryang »

Will pray for a safe trip and a safe return.

-george
"I am crucified with Christ: Nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me" -Gal 2:20

NRA-TSRA-Life Member
American Legion USN-GM
"Μολών λαβέ!"

Project One Million:Texas - Get Involved - Join The NRA & TSRA -TODAY!

Topic author
Papabear37

Post by Papabear37 »

Thanks George.

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

Got you covered
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

I suspect that there are more than a few unemployed Americans who would leap at the opportunity to be gainfully employed in Saudi Arabia...or anywhere else.

Good luck and God Bless.

ELB
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ELB »

Good luck and keep a sharp eye out, but don't look just for evil while in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA). I was stationed in Saudi a few years ago prior to 9/11, post Khobar Towers, and altho I was told I had al Qaeda among my neighbors, I had a lot of fun there, and my favorite part of the assignment was the desert. I had my own personal-use 4WD, and I explored as much of the area as my off time would allow - I was not with the combatant forces, and could pretty much roam at will. There is some fascinating scenery and ruins to see, at least in the areas around Ar Riyadh and Prince Sultan Air Base.

Somehow I found a little non-commercially produced pamphlet -- basically type written and hand drawn maps -- written by a couple Brits, that showed 4WD treks around Riyadh, within 50 miles or so I think. There is also the escarpment, a tall sheer ridge or discontinuity several hundred feet tall, running from Riyadh to well to the south for a couple hundred miles at least. If you get on the upper side of it, where you can look out, the views are amazing. Just don't get too close to the edge. While I was there a nurse died when she go close to the edge and it literally sheered off and fell several hundred feet under her. When we were there the American ex-Pats called it the Magic Kingdom (and Goofy is in charge), but there are no handrails or safety signs and such -- you are on your own, especially in the desert. Altho KSA is very restrictive religiously and politically, it is remarkably "libertarian" in other respects -- you can do what you want, but if you get hurt...inshallah. If you go tooling around in the countryside, go with two vehicles and lots of water, your map/compass and GPS, and make sure someone not going with you knows where you are going and when you are supposed to be back. Some sand ladders can be helpful. There is no AAA to come tow you out.

BTW, south of Riyadh along the escarpment there was a tribe/troop/herd? of monkeys right long a road that went to the base of the ridge. Watch out for those boogers if you see them -- they tended to attack vehicles and rip off the mirrors and hood ornaments and such. I suspect they had been spoiled by people feeding them, and got irate if you didn't pay tribute.

I suspect you will quickly come to find the biggest threat to your safety there is the driving. Unless something has dramatically changed, it is restrained by neither Allah's nor man's law, nor traffic sign or signal, and everyone (that is, every MAN) engages it in it at full throttle and full horn. Like I said above, inshallah. Nothing I've seen in major American or European cities comes close to it in adrenaline and danger -- be careful while you are there, but the good news is you will find Houston and Dallas and where ever quite "sedate" when you get back. :mrgreen:

Be careful, pray for safety, but pray for good experiences as well!
USAF 1982-2005

mikeintexas

Post by mikeintexas »

You have been added to our list as well.

Topic author
Papabear37

Post by Papabear37 »

That is a great narrative about KSA. I will be in the Eastern Province and it is familiar to me because I worked for Aramco in Dahran for eight years. But it was a long time ago and I expect to see many changes, for the better I hope!
One thing I'm sure has not changed is the driving. Without a doubt, the biggest hazard in Saudi Arabia. Fortunately, I won't be driving myself. Rather I will be in a compound in Jubail and transportation will be provided.
I'm retired so I'm hoping this consulting job will be both interesting and safe. As you say, Inshallah!
Vern

Topic author
Papabear37

Post by Papabear37 »

Thanks much.

ELB
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ELB »

Papabear37 wrote: ... because I worked for Aramco in Dahran for eight years. ...
Vern
Ha! So I was preaching to the choir, so to speak. Heh. Well work hard, play hard, return safe!

elb
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
Papabear37

Post by Papabear37 »

Maybe preaching to this choir, but I thought your note wes very well done and I'm sure it was interesting to other readers as it was to me. I'll do my best to be safe and careful.

Return to “Prayer Requests & Updates”