Joining the "Pink Ribbon" Coalition...

Whether the need is great or small, there is power in prayer, especially when God's people raise their voices together.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Pug
Posts in topic: 9

Joining the "Pink Ribbon" Coalition...

Post by Pug »

Thursday 5/12/2011

Last week Elaine developed some discomfort and went to see her doctor at Baylor. That exam resulted in a sonogram on Monday (5/9), followed by a mammogram and several biopsies on Tuesday (5/10). We received the results of those exams today (5/12), and Elaine has been diagnosed with breast cancer. It was only when the oncologist's nurse ushered us out of the exam room, handing me the over-sized, ribbon-covered bag that this new reality began to sink in for us.

The cancer has already invaded Elaine's lymphatic system, so a radical treatment program has already begun. Over the course of the next 8-12 months she will undergo numerous exams, the installation of a "port" to be used in 8-12 weeks of intensive chemotherapy, surgery (a double mastectomy) and radiation therapy. The doctors believe that we have caught the cancer early enough that the prognosis is good. Just the same, all prayers are coveted and will be greatly appreciated.

This new path is not one we have chosen, yet we recognize that God is already walking it ahead of us.

http://www.caringbridge.com/visit/elaineray/

TLynnHughes
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Joining the "Pink Ribbon" Coalition...

Post by TLynnHughes »

Prayers and positive thoughts for you and your wife, Elaine! Please keep us posted on her progress.

T.
Women's Program Match Director
PSC Shooting Club, Inc.

"I would like to see every woman know how to handle firearms as naturally as they know how to handle babies." -- Annie Oakley

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

TLynnHughes wrote:Prayers and positive thoughts for you and your wife, Elaine! Please keep us posted on her progress. T.
:iagree: Also in mine.
NRA Endowment Member

stealthfightrf17

Post by stealthfightrf17 »

I will be praying for you and Elaine. Please keep us posted

Hoi Polloi
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Hoi Polloi »

Praying with you!
Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you. -St. Augustine
We are reformers in Spring and Summer; in Autumn and Winter we stand by the old;
reformers in the morning, conservers at night. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

varko
Posts in topic: 2

Post by varko »

Prayers sent.
And if I were called upon to identify briefly the principal trait of the entire twentieth century, here too, I would be unable to find anything more precise and pithy than to repeat once again: Men have forgotten God. - Alexander Solzhenitsyn

texanron

Post by texanron »

May God guide Elaine and you through the difficult days ahead. Trust in Him with every ounce of strength you have becasue He never puts anything in front of us that we can handle.

Philippians 4:13 "I can do everything through him who gives me strength"
12/17/2010 CHL
5/21/2012 non-resident CHL

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

I am so sorry to learn this. Cheryl, my wife, is 6 years clear after a lumpectomy and radiation. We will pray for a good outcome.

God bless.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Lumberjack98

Post by Lumberjack98 »

Thanks for asking!!

Prayers for Elaine, you and everyone involved!
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

Fire1141

Post by Fire1141 »

Know that God is with you and His plan will be carried out. He will never give you more than you can handle.

cowboymd

Post by cowboymd »

Prayers said for your wife Elaine, for you and for the hands that are tending to her.
TSRA Member
NRA Life Member

SlickTX

Post by SlickTX »

This monster can be beaten. I know this because my wife is a 6 year survivor. The path is not easy, but it can be done.
[Insert pithy witicism here]

Proudly carrying since 09/10.

Topic author
Pug
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Pug »

This afternoon we returned to the oncologist for an update. The report was not quite what we had hoped for. Based upon the current pathology, mammograms, biopsies and MRI, she has what is called a stage 3 (aggressive) invasive ductal & lobular carcinoma. Those are a lot of big words to say that she has an inflammatory type of breast cancer that is spreading rapidly. The MRI revealed that both sides have been affected, which confirms the surgeon’s initial bent toward a bilateral mastectomy. Given these details, an all-the-more aggressive treatment is about to begin.

Tomorrow (Friday) morning she will have a PET scan in an attempt to discover how far the cancer has progressed (particularly in her lymphatic system). She will also have an EKG and a few additional lab tests done tomorrow as one of the meds being prescribed poses some risk of coronary damage. Then Monday morning we go in for her first round of chemo. Dr. Gupta did not want to wait for the installation of the chemo-port, so Monday’s treatment will be done intravenously. Later in the week we will schedule the day surgery for the installation of the port for future chemo treatments.

Given the biopsies that have already been performed, we know that the cancer has already entered the lymph nodes – we don’t yet know how far along it is. In addition, the PET scan taken together with the MRI will be used to judge the effectiveness of the chemotherapy that has been prescribed (what is called the TAC chemo protocol, comprised of Aredia, Cytoxan, and Taxotere taken all together). After the first two rounds (six weeks) of chemo she will have another MRI (and possible another PET scan) to determine how the cancer is responding to the chemo. The desired result would be that the chemo stops the progress and reduces the size of the mass(es) such that the expectation of a complete removal of the affected tissue increases.

Once again, everything that the doctors have told us thus far leads us to believe that Elaine’s condition is treatable and we will get her through this, but the road just got a little longer. Chemo will now be an 18 week regimen, as opposed to the 8-12 weeks we were previously told. After the surgery (which now looks like will take place sometime in August—but that, too, could change) she will go through radiation, and possibly additional chemo (yet to be determined). There is still a lot that we do not know, but we will share it with you as it is presented to us.

Again, your prayers and encouragement are both greatly appreciated and earnestly coveted.

Hoi Polloi

Post by Hoi Polloi »

I have a close relative who beat Stage 4 Inflammatory Breast Cancer with a less aggressive regimen. It sounds like your wife is in good hands!

Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you. -St. Augustine
We are reformers in Spring and Summer; in Autumn and Winter we stand by the old;
reformers in the morning, conservers at night. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

My wife and I will pray fervently for you and your dear wife.

Return to “Prayer Requests & Updates”