Prostate cancer

Whether the need is great or small, there is power in prayer, especially when God's people raise their voices together.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
johncanfield
Posts in topic: 10

Re: Prostate cancer

Post by johncanfield »

Thanks TAM, thanks Mr. M! TAM - you are a young whippersnapper, seems like yesterday I was 62 ;-) .
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

philip964
Posts in topic: 3

Post by philip964 »

johncanfield wrote:Thanks everybody, you all are like an extended family.

Note to all of the guys - I was surprised to discover that the Family Practice association is not recommending a PSA test but Urologists are recommending the test. There are false positives and a rising PSA doesn't necessarily indicate cancer but I strongly recommend guys 50 and older have an annual PSA test and a digital exam. My PSA rose from the high 3s to just over 4 but a digital exam revealed an abnormality. I've been hanging out on a forum with a prostate cancer section and I was amazed at the number of guys in their 50s with worse numbers than me.
My prayers for you and your family.

Don't worry, had it 8 done years ago, I'm doing fine. It was no big deal. My father in law had it done 25 years ago, he is now 85. I don't like to use the word cancer survivor, as this does not compare to what my friends with other kinds of cancer have faced.

Dan Fogelberg, the singer songwriter, Ron Stone, Houston's most favorite newscaster both died of Prostate Cancer. If every man lived long enough, we would all die of Prostate Cancer. My PSA started rising dramatically, 2.5 to 5, I waited for a while, but two biopsies confirmed the presence of cancer. Because of my age surgery was recommended. Older men can be treated with radiation as they will die from something else before the prostate gets them.

My cardiologist did not really recommend surgery as he felt my heart would get me first. My tumor was 3 cm in size, but it had not spread outside the prostate, so I felt very lucky.

It is very sad to read on the Cancer forums of the men who waited too long and it has spread beyond the prostate. Then, it is tragic.

So despite the recommendation to not have a PSA I would get one early (45) and have it done every year after that. Dan Fogelberg was diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer at 53, he died four years later.

BTW the drugs they use are great. The catheter not so much. I urinate like a 9 year old.

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SewTexas »

John,

my husband Robert had that same surgery done there last April, and he's very young for it, he was diagnosed at 54. They are so incredibly efficient, it's amazing! Who is your surgeon?
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Topic author
johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

Phillip - many have gone before me, hopefully the incontinence part won't be a big deal.

Hi Tracy - 54 is young, hope your hubby is doing well. Dr. John W Davis will be at the da Vinci console for the surgery.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

:leaving
johncanfield wrote:Phillip - many have gone before me, hopefully the incontinence part won't be a big deal.

Hi Tracy - 54 is young, hope your hubby is doing well. Dr. John W Davis will be at the da Vinci console for the surgery.
Zero issues with incontinence from the moment the catheter was removed.

It was interesting getting my urination flow graphed. Never had so much attention paid to my urination.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Hi John. You're right, the Forum is like an extended family in many ways. You are on our prayer list.

Chas.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SewTexas »

my husband's was a bit more than basic, there was some cancer on the outside of the prostate, as a result there was obviously nerve damage. He did incredibly well as far as the bladder stuff went, (but I started making him do keagels as soon as they started talking about surgery). Just don't expect miracles. Listen to your doctor and have a good relationship with your doctor's nurse, if you have any questions at all, you call her, that's what she's there for, and that's why she carries a phone in her pocket. Robert's doctor's nurse is amazing!

we will be praying for you, feel free to PM me if you have any questions at all.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

TomsTXCHL

Post by TomsTXCHL »

I've had a couple of biopsies which turned-out (over a period of many months) to be false alarms, so understand a little bit of what you are going through. I'd had a very erratic PSA and now take Avodart which has held my PSA to a steady one-something (3 or 4 years now) so if it goes-up from here it will be a clear indication of a problem. I'm your age, have a friend also our age who had cancer and his prostate removed some years back; he is healthy and happy and very grateful that he was diagnosed and treated.

Cancer is frightening but is no longer the death sentence it seemed to be when we were growing-up. Best wishes for a successful procedure and a speedy recovery!

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

John, I am sorry to learn this. But, I had the same surgery in 2009 and haven't had a single problem since. My PSAs have been undetectable since the first one 6 weeks after the surgery. My cancer was a gift from Agent Orange exposure in Vietnam. My brother, who did not go to Vietnam was exposed to AO on the Korean DMZ in 1968-69 and had Prostate Cancer too. He had the Da Vinci surgery last year. We are both doing very well.

God Bless and make you well. May the surgeon's hands be steady and true and your recovery be short and painless.

Feel free to contadct me if you need some fellow survivor support.

Morris
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Just got on the computer and saw this. I am praying for a speedy recovery. My brother, you have already done the best thing that could be done and that was when you said you were "Leaving it at your Savior's feet". God Bless
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Topic author
johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

Prayers work, thank you all from the bottom of my heart!

A quick update. In surgery for 2.5 hours Monday morning, the Doc said the tumor was larger then he thought. Only had to stay in the hospital for one night and I did manage to get a little sleep off and on. Was discharged Tuesday about 5PM and we're staying in the attached Rotary House until at least my catheter comes out (first experience with one of those :roll: ) My tummy is very sore but I'm able to keep pain under control with non-narcotic drugs. Walking several times a day to limit internal scarring/adhesions and feeling a little better every day.

Mojo, I also was in Vietnam. Apparently the prostate cancer rates for Vietnam vets is twice the average of everybody else. I started a disability application with the VA - prostate cancer and Vietnam service means an automatic disability approval.

BigGuy

Post by BigGuy »

I just now saw this thread. I'm glad things have gone so well for you.

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

johncanfield wrote:Prayers work, thank you all from the bottom of my heart!

A quick update. In surgery for 2.5 hours Monday morning, the Doc said the tumor was larger then he thought. Only had to stay in the hospital for one night and I did manage to get a little sleep off and on. Was discharged Tuesday about 5PM and we're staying in the attached Rotary House until at least my catheter comes out (first experience with one of those :roll: ) My tummy is very sore but I'm able to keep pain under control with non-narcotic drugs. Walking several times a day to limit internal scarring/adhesions and feeling a little better every day.

Mojo, I also was in Vietnam. Apparently the prostate cancer rates for Vietnam vets is twice the average of everybody else. I started a disability application with the VA - prostate cancer and Vietnam service means an automatic disability approval.

Congrats on success John. God will continue to be with you.

I'm home for the second day after bladder removal surgery. Of course they took my very enlarged prostate with it as well as numerous lymph nodes. Got the path report Wed. morning, and I'm all clear everywhere. 9 day hospital stay and expected 6 month to one year full recovery. I fought BPH and chronic prostititis and it was during a prostate reduction surgery the bladder cancer was discovered in 11/13.

In any case, your recovery will be quick and the overall survival rate for prostate cancer is amazing. You've got many years left to go.

Return to “Prayer Requests & Updates”