G26 for Carry and IDPA

IDPA, IPSC, ICORE & More!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
texanron
Posts in topic: 2

G26 for Carry and IDPA

Post by texanron »

I didn't want to hijack the other thread like this so I started this one.
I've been trying to get out to my first IDPA match now for about four months but family matters have to come first. New twin girls will really throw off weekend shooting plans! I recently picked up a G26 that will be my new EDC once the CrossBreed Holster comes in and I'm interested in using it for IDPA. I've been hearing that it'll handicap an individual that is trying to compete at IDPA. What about somone who is just trying to put their EDC through scenario based exercises? CanI look forward to finishing close to the bottom no matter how well I shoot? Not that I'm in it for the competition aspect but as a man I'm naturally competitive.
12/17/2010 CHL
5/21/2012 non-resident CHL

A-R
Posts in topic: 4

Re: G26 for Carry and IDPA

Post by A-R »

If you want to really compete in IDPA as a GAME, then yeah you'll need a gun with better grip, longer sight radius, and longer barrel. But if you plan to carry a G26 (good choice, btw) and want to utilize IDPA as a training tool with your actual carry gun/holster etc. then a G26 will work very well. Division capacity for SSP division (stock service pistol) is 10 rounds so your gun will meet that (some smaller guns are further handicapped by maximum mag capacities of 6-9 rounds). Just remember to have a minimum of 3 mags (4 preferable so you can use one mag to top off the gun so you start with 10+1 - not as necessary if you have a Pearce extension on your G26 mags that make them 11-rounders).

I've shot with guys who regularly use Glock 19s, M&P compacts, Ruger SR9c etc and do very well. Smallest I've shot with is a Glock 23, but I'm hoping to shoot a match with either my Walther PPS or Kahr K9 some time soon (and really handicap myself - 7-round mags).

Besides, the best part about "handicapping yourself" is you get some serious bragging rights when you beat some guy with a bigger gun while shooting your little gun :thumbs2:

Topic author
texanron
Posts in topic: 2

Post by texanron »

Thanks for the information ausintrealtor. If I ever get out there and enjoy it I'll pick up a M&P45 so I can compete in CDP. It was good to read you thoughts on that in the other tthread as well. Kind of reinforced what I was thinking. Adding a Grip Reduction and Palm Swell will move a pistol from SSP to ESP, correct?
12/17/2010 CHL
5/21/2012 non-resident CHL

carlson1
Posts in topic: 1

Post by carlson1 »

This video has been posted several times, but I don't think it would bother this fellow if he had a baby Glock or not.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

CWOOD
Posts in topic: 3

Post by CWOOD »

Hi, texanron

Seven years ago I bought a Glock 30, which is the 45ACP subcompact to use as my primary, and almost exclusive, carry weapon.

When I first heard about IDAP I thought it would be useful to home skills that might be useful in concealed carry. I was not a new shooter, but I had never participated in organized shooting activities like IDPA. Just improving my skills was my initial focus.

Soon, I discovered that IDPA is just plain FUN, and there are a lot of really nice, good folks that participate in it. I started taking my youngest daughter, then 17, and soon she was shooting (with a .22 semiauto Ruger) too. She really liked the activity and the people...and did well.

The point is, that what ever you take to shoot, it will be fine. Most local clubs let you shoot a variety of things in local matches.

The G26 will do just fine. It is not much smaller than my G30. I also use my IWB holster in competition just as I do on the street.

What you can expect to get out of IDPA in the technical aspects of shooting are invaluable. I will differ slightly with austinrealtor in that IDPA is NOT training, it is practice in the form of a game. Some of the shooting scenerios in IDPA are not tactically correct, but they are useful and, did I mention, FUN.

If you go to a match a month for a year you will be amazed at your improvement in the following:

Target selection and acquisition
Reloading quickly and efficiently while wearing a concealment garment
Drawing quickly and efficiently while wearing a concealment garment
Quickly clearing malfunctions while under pressure
Shooting at moving targets
Shooting while moving
Shooting at moving targets while moving
Use of cover while shooting
Shooting from odd positions
Shot placement and combat accuracy
Keeping track of rounds fired
Operating effectively in stress situations (time clock + audience = adrenaline)
Thinking while shooting
SAFETY

Got to your first match with the gear to shoot. It doesn't take much.
Handgun
3 magazines
strong side belt holster (crossbreed is fine)
eye protection
ear protection
150 rounds (you won't use it all)
match fee
good attitude

Go early enough to attend the new shooters meeting
Ask questions to the friendly folks on you squad
BE SAFE
HAVE FUN

A side note on the magazines, two 10-rounders plus a glock 19 mag will make it much easier than carrying a fourth " Barney" mag. The reason austinrealtor suggested a 4th mag is that to begin each stage you must be loaded to 'division capacity' For your G27 that will be 10+1 to start. That is full mag and one in the chamber, plus two additional full 10-rounders. If you get a G19 mag which holds 15, you can just load 11 and start with it. Chamber the 11th round and and you are good to start. I do that with my G30 while using a G21 mag which can hold 13. Start with 11 and I am good to go without having to handle an extra mag to get to 10+1 to start.

The additional benefit of the larger capacity mag is that it works great as a backup mag with more capacity for use in every day life.

Let us know how you like it.

By the way, you will find it is habit forming.

Regards. Home this helps.

TraCoun

Post by TraCoun »

When I started shooting IDPA (about 13 years ago) I was using my Glock 27, which is the .40 S&W version of the 26.
The reason I got something bigger is that the 26/27 family have short slides, meaning short sight radius, and it is hard to be consistently accurate at the typical IDPA distances. It is absolutely true IDPA uses shorter distances, but they use longer more often.
If your decision is that you simply WANT the G26 because of size, concealability, or whatever, by all means use it and gain whatever proficiency you can. Just accept that in many scenarios you will be up against the above thought.
If your focus is to build your skills and become more proficient with your gun, you can accomplish your purpose.
If your focus is to be competitive, it may take more practice at longer distances.
For me, anything beyond about 7 yards was a real challenge with the 27. Hopefully I've gotten better, hopefully you are better.
Thanx,
TraCoun

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

I have shot a Glock 26 in multiple matches...it is a blast! Just do it.

Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

jason237m

Post by jason237m »

Is the holster you are planning on using inside the waistband? If so I would strongly advise against using that type of holster for regular IDPA use. The inside band holsters lead to shooters pointing loaded guns at themselves several times through the course of a match and it makes SOs (including me) a little warey.

A-R

Post by A-R »

jason237m wrote:Is the holster you are planning on using inside the waistband? If so I would strongly advise against using that type of holster for regular IDPA use. The inside band holsters lead to shooters pointing loaded guns at themselves several times through the course of a match and it makes SOs (including me) a little warey.
I'll have to disagree with this. I use an IWB holster (Crossbreed or Comp Tac) almost 100% of the time for concealed carry and IDPA. This issue was mentioned to me at one of my first matches by a SO who simply said "you're not muzzling yourself, but most people do with those (IWB holsters), and you're close " ... I thanked him for the info and have since made a concerted effort not to muzzle myself while reholstering in matches or anywhere else. It can be done.

I have a kydex OWB holster for my normal IDPA gun (M&P9), but prefer to use my M-TAC because that's what I use when CCing my M&P and my other handguns. Has not been a problem for me since that first match.

CWOOD

Post by CWOOD »

jason237m wrote:Is the holster you are planning on using inside the waistband? If so I would strongly advise against using that type of holster for regular IDPA use. The inside band holsters lead to shooters pointing loaded guns at themselves several times through the course of a match and it makes SOs (including me) a little warey.
I have also been an SO for several years. jason237m certainly has a right to his opinion, however in my experience, his opinion has not been the norm in matches in which I have shot and/or SO'ed, including officially sanctioned matches. IWB holsters are specifically authorized in the rule book. I have only used IWB for my carry and competition use in 8 years of IDPA shooting.

With that said, the concern that jason237m expresses is certainly valid, no matter what type of holster you may use. It is a vital safety practice to NOT sweep any portion of your body, or anyone else's, in the course of a match. That offense can get you disqualified and you will be finished shooting for the day.

A-R

Post by A-R »

Just competed with a Glock 26 for first time in an IDPA match this past weekend. Was fun and challenging. Definitely noticed a difference in my accuracy - more points down than normal. Missed a target entirely on one stage, yet put 2-inch spread double taps in the 0 on two other targets at same distance in same stage. So consistency was bigger problem than pure accuracy. Learned a lot about my limitations with the particular gun and on what areas I need to concentrate even more (grip and sight picture) with shorter grip and shorter barrel and sight radius.

OP definitely should give it a try.

And hey, with G26 I still beat CWOOD by 1.5 seconds overall :evil2: *rib*

:biggrinjester: cwood I saw your name on the results but didn't see you out there. Big crowd on Sunday. We had a fun squad - couple of LEOs with duty belts and a 7-foot tall kid who used to play D1 college basketball. Everyone thought he was shooting an M&P compact, but turns out it was a full size ... his hands were just that much bigger than us "normal" folks :eek6 I tried to encourage him to shoot OVER the 6 foot barricades, but he wouldn't do it :cool:

CWOOD

Post by CWOOD »

austinrealtor, glad you had a good day. It was a fun shoot. I was on Herb's (the guy who makes a lot of the props) squad.

Not my finest day, but shootin' stuff is fun and it was a wonderful day to be out.

Texas Tactical is a great bunch.

A-R

Post by A-R »

CWOOD wrote:Texas Tactical is a great bunch.
\

I agree

... I tried to get on Herb's squad, but he had 10 on his sign up sheet by time I got up there. Herb is a lot of fun to shoot with - I enjoy how he keeps it light-hearted and lets the newbies slide a bit on the non-safety-related stuff (procedural penalties, cover, etc).

Return to “Competitive Shooting”