Pistol Class from Gordon Carrol

IDPA, IPSC, ICORE & More!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
TEX
Posts in topic: 2

Pistol Class from Gordon Carrol

Post by TEX »

Has anyone here taken a competitive pistol class from this gentleman. I am thinking about it and was wondering what to expect. I would be taking Pistol II. I have shot competivly for some time now, but seem to have hit a glass ceiling in my abilities, and think outside instruction might be just the thing to help me break through. I dry fire fairly often, but I have heard he isn't much on dry firing, preferring actual range time instead - which is great, but it cost a lot more - money and time wise. Any observations or experiences with this instructor would be appreciated.

TEX
There will be no peace until they love their children more than they hate us - Golda Meir

txflyer

Re: Pistol Class from Gordon Carrol

Post by txflyer »

I have taken his Pistol II class. I highly recommend it. After taking his class and some practice using his techniques, I shaved a good 45 seconds off of my classification time and made it to the next level (IDPA).

He teaches folks how to evaluate their own shooting as well as each other using various drills. This was one of the biggest take aways I've gotten from his class.

I've known a number of people who have taken his class and all have had high praise including myself.

As to the comment on dry-firing, I didn't get the idea that he is not big on it. He talks about doing it along with other "dry" techniques to practice, such as turning, reloading, drawing, extension to fire, etc. and shares with the class his own "dry-fire" practice techniques to help build muscle memory. But I do agree with the idea that range time can be more valuable than dry fire time.

Definitely worth the money, time and ammo to take his class. I plan to move on to his Pistol III in the next year.

KaiserB
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by KaiserB »

TEX wrote:Has anyone here taken a competitive pistol class from this gentleman. I am thinking about it and was wondering what to expect. I would be taking Pistol II. I have shot competivly for some time now, but seem to have hit a glass ceiling in my abilities, and think outside instruction might be just the thing to help me break through. I dry fire fairly often, but I have heard he isn't much on dry firing, preferring actual range time instead - which is great, but it cost a lot more - money and time wise. Any observations or experiences with this instructor would be appreciated.

TEX
I have taken both Pistol II and Pistol III from Gordon, they are both well worth the money. The Pistol II class accelerated me from SSP SS to SSP MA within 9 months of taking the course.

Gordon has a down to earth teaching style that shows you exactly what to do and how to do it. The classes are information based rather than "shoot a drill" based. You will learn a new drill to practice a particular skill, practice it a few times to get it in your head then move on to the next drill. You don't spend hours shooting hundreds of rounds on one or two drills.

There will be a lot of work to do after the class but you will have a rock solid method to form a written plan for success. You will also learn how to chart your progress with a log book and learn "what your times are" for each shooting skill.

RPB
Banned

I need more coffee

Post by RPB »

I need more coffee

My dad took Defensive Driving Class at Mr. Ghatti's Pizza
I thought this said Pistol Class at Golden Corral. I was all like ... where do I sign up, I like the food. :oops:
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Cdhutson

Post by Cdhutson »

Sounds like a good instructor. How do I get in contact with him?
"The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win and cheat if necessary."
CHL Instructor
NRA Member
NRA Instructor
TSRA Member
Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II .45 ACP
Glock 22 .40
Bersa .380

txflyer

Post by txflyer »

Topic author
TEX

Post by TEX »

Thanks [abbreviated profanity deleted] rthe info guys. BTW if they do hold a pistol class at Golden Corral, please email me - sounds like fun!
There will be no peace until they love their children more than they hate us - Golda Meir

Return to “Competitive Shooting”