Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Piney
Posts in topic: 2

Holster Cant

Post by Piney »

Greetings--

My letter to Santa included a new OWB holster for my G34 :grin:

I'm soliciting comments on cant-- forward (FBI) or straight ?

I carry my IWB holster with a forward cant as it seems to hide better. THis holster is for IDPA shoots so hiding it isnt an issue.

Thanks--

longtooth
Posts in topic: 1

Post by longtooth »

Competition, I stick w/ my carry weapon & holster.
For the change you will probably like stright better.
See if you can find a straight one to try.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Texasdoc

Post by Texasdoc »

I shoot IDPA and for what its worth go with a Straight at the belt line type holster. its easier to use and IMHO more comfortable.

300shooter
Shoot more,then Reload and Shoot somemore. Image

http://www.texasguntalk.com

Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

I actually find the FBI cant to be more comfortable and easier to conceal. Can you try both and see which one works best for you?

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Piney:

Try our friend Gregg Garrett at Comp-Tac. You can get the best of both world's with the settable cant holster. Since the cant is adjusted with bolts that you have remove from your belt and adjust, it doesn't violate the IDPA settable cant rule. And if you pay seven bucks more to get the "deluxe" rig, you get an optional paddle with it. You'll probably want the belt-threaded holster for competition (because I don't know if the paddle add-on would extend the gun too far from your body to be legal), but you may want the paddle for concealed OWB carry in cooler weather when you can wear a coat.

Just my .02...
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

nitrogen

Post by nitrogen »

Kalrog wrote:I actually find the FBI cant to be more comfortable and easier to conceal. Can you try both and see which one works best for you?
I find that FBI cant works better especially when I have to sit a lot.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

Whatever stye you use, be sure to check it for your ability to smoothly draw the weapon.

I have seen many people change holsters after attending training and realizing that their "comfortable" carry mode is not worth a flip for getting the weapon into action. ;)
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

SRVA

Post by SRVA »

For competition, get the straight holster.

casselthief
Banned

Post by casselthief »

so, then you can change the title to this topic to Holster Can!!!
"Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun..."

40FIVER

Post by 40FIVER »

SRVA wrote:For competition, get the straight holster.
I'm confused. How would a straight up vertical draw be better than a forward canted draw for any situation?

Topic author
Piney

Post by Piney »

40FIVER wrote:
SRVA wrote:For competition, get the straight holster.
I'm confused. How would a straight up vertical draw be better than a forward canted draw for any situation?
From what I understand, the theory is that a straight up draw is faster because the barrel doesnt have to rotate as far forward to quickly come to a horizontal (ie firing) position.

Im used to drawing from my CTAC, which is set to a fwd cant. The suggestion of getting a settable cant model may be the answer.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

From what I understand, the theory is that a straight up draw is faster because the barrel doesnt have to rotate as far forward to quickly come to a horizontal (ie firing) position.
Yeppers. If you look at some of the Open class "race rigs" in IPSC competition (like the Ghost Holster: http://www.ghostholster.com/), they actually cant them barrel-forward...for that very muzzle-to-target travel distance. 'Course, they also let the holsters ride lower than is IDPA legal.

With a high-riding conceal holster, I actually like a 15-degree FBI cant. It just seems easier for me to accurately get to the gun under clothing that way. And besides, I won't have to worry about an extra three-tenths of a second in delay of presentation time affecting my scores for a long time. ;-) Reloading mistakes mess me up far more than getting the gun out of the holster.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Return to “Competitive Shooting”