IDPA Holster Question

IDPA, IPSC, ICORE & More!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
hi-power
Posts in topic: 2

IDPA Holster Question

Post by hi-power »

I'm new to IDPA and shooting for the first time this Saturday.

I've got an Uncle Mike's nylon OWB (clip on the belt) holster that probably won't pass the test of staying covered if I raise my arms straight out to my sides.

Can anyone recommend a fairly cheap OWB holster that rides higher on the belt that will pass the raised arm test that I can find locally?

longtooth
Posts in topic: 1

Post by longtooth »

Since you are just starting, ask before spending. See if the one in charge will accomodate you w/ what you have until you can get a good holster. Ours would I know.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

DMG

Post by DMG »

Whether or not the holster can be seen with your arms out to the sides is more of a function of your covering garment (vest, shirt, etc.) than of your holster. There are other rules regarding your holster (rear cant, space between holster and belt, etc.) That having been said, I have yet to see a match director who would not let someone shoot IDPA for the first time, even if the holster was in flagrant disregard of the rules, unless it was a safety issue. Go shoot the match with what you have, ask questions (legality of holster, holster recommendations, etc.), and have fun. My suggestion for any first time shooter, slow down; you are not as fast as you think you are and if you try to be you will have an awful lot of points down. DMG.

rgoldy

Post by rgoldy »

Most local clubs that I know of will let you shoot the informal club match with whatever you have. The only time they probably will get picky is if you are competing for a real match (state or whatever) or might do so if you are classified and working on upgrading your classification. Usually, (usually) no one will take issue with your equipment for technical reasons.
Lead, follow, or get out of the way.
JOIN NRA[/i] JOIN TSRA

Topic author
hi-power
Posts in topic: 2

Post by hi-power »

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll not worry about it so much and just go shoot.

I've already spoken to John Ralston over at 5 Shot Leather and he's going to start on a new belt, IWB holster and double mag pouch soon but it'll take about 12 weeks at least.

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

hi-power wrote:Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll not worry about it so much and just go shoot.

I think that is your best option! You will see a few toys that you want and a couple you will need. Great sport...above all, have fun!
Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

Return to “Competitive Shooting”