Ammo Question for IPDA

IDPA, IPSC, ICORE & More!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
AG-EE
Posts in topic: 2

Ammo Question for IPDA

Post by AG-EE »

Do any of you use Blaser or Wolf for IDPA, or do most of you reload?

Would I be severely castigated for using some of the economy stuff? I reload all of my rifle ammo (except 5.56), but I only have a single stage press so loading enough ammo for IPDA would take a while.

What is the consensus? Does Blaser even meet the power factor?

I have not shot an IPDA event yet, but I am planning to do so.

HighVelocity
Posts in topic: 1

Post by HighVelocity »

First, what caliber are you shooting?

I use Blazer aluminum 9mm ammo because it's the cheapest thing I can get. I've put a big pile of it downrange with several Glocks and a 1911. Not a single ammo related failure.
Same with Blazer aluminum 45acp. Both are plenty hot enough to make the required power factor in IDPA (depending on your guns barrel length and condition).
However, in the case of the 45 blazer, it's a lot hotter than you need so if you want to game it up, load your own. If you want to shoot ammo that feels like full power carry type ammo (which is the whole idea of IDPA) then the Blazer is a cheap solution.
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

Topic author
AG-EE
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AG-EE »

Thanks HV

I'll be shooting 45 or 40. I know some ranges frown on non-brass cased stuff, but I assume with IDPA everyone picks up their own brass/Al/steel anyway, so it might not matter.

SRVA

Post by SRVA »

AG-EE, A lot of IDPA shooters use both Wolf and Blazer for practice and matches with no problem. The most important thing is that you are out getting good, safe practice, not the ammunition you use. Go for it.

Steve

Piney
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Piney »

AG-EE wrote:Thanks HV

I'll be shooting 45 or 40. I know some ranges frown on non-brass cased stuff, but I assume with IDPA everyone picks up their own brass/Al/steel anyway, so it might not matter.

Greetings--
A number of indoor ranges prohibit non-brass casings. At these ranges, I've seen a few pick up their brass, but not usually. I keep a few boxes of Winchester white box around for when I travel. Otherwise, I shoot Blazer Al case-- no problems.

Return to “Competitive Shooting”