Noob needs more info

IDPA, IPSC, ICORE & More!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Superman
Posts in topic: 1

Noob needs more info

Post by Superman »

I'd like to get into IDPA and 3-gun, but don't know where to start. Anyone have any info for me on how to get started? I'm in DFW area... If there are any other kinds of competitions (for fun to start with) that are around DFW, I'd appreciate info on those too. Thanks in advance!

:txflag:

knotquiteawake

Re: Noob needs more info

Post by knotquiteawake »

Subscribed! I am in the same boat!

williamkevin

Post by williamkevin »

It might be worth it to check out Collin County IDPA. http://www.ccidpa.org/newcomer.html

I haven't shot a local match, but these folks hosted the 2012 Texas State IDPA Championship and their membership are a great bunch of folks. They shoot a different facilities. The link above should give you some good information.

Have fun!!

Gnarl E. Hound

Post by Gnarl E. Hound »

Make that three in the boat. Great info, thanks. :patriot:
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace."
-Thomas Paine

carrydave

Post by carrydave »

find your local USPSA club.

This was just my own experience but i checked out IDPA first, and it was indoors, in a poor ventilated run down shooting range.

My USPSA club has a full private range with 12 bays and a rifle range, and everyone was very friendly.

My advice to you as a fellow new guy (was just classified) is to go out and shoot a match, and especially DO NOT buy a bunch of gear before you have shot a few matches.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I think Elm Fork has IDPA matches every second and fourth or first and third Wednesday each month. I'm thinking about trying these guys out. They are much closer to home, but my weekday schedule is pretty full.

Terrell Rifle and Pistol Club holds IDPA matches on the third Saturday of the month and the matches are open to the public. I compete here.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

YouTube is a great resource - I learned a ton on kitting for 3 g.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

jmactenn

Post by jmactenn »

Add me to the list

ALCSTUDIOS

Post by ALCSTUDIOS »

I did my first match tonight at Elm fork with Texas combat shooters, learned a lot from some very nice people.
NRA,GOA,TFC TSRA & SAF member

gtryan52

Post by gtryan52 »

Here is some good video from Trigger Time on 3 Gun beginning. Club 3 gun matches are great places to start. They have one on the 2nd Sundays in Waxahachie.

A lot of good advice from a top ranked 3 gun competitor

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jmain
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jmain »

Best advise is to just show up. Most USPSA matches I have gone to, there are always new guys and I have seen guys hand over high dollar guns, ammo, holsters, gear etc just to get them shooting.

Don't try and go fast your first few matches, more than likely you will move like a snail, or forget to move at all. Just stay safe and learn.
Competition really lets you know what you are good at and what you need practice with - for most it is a humbling experience that only being there and hearing the buzzer go off and then having your mind go into melt down over what seems easy.

Don't worry about gear at first, or trying to figure out the perfect pistol - you wont get it right. I went from shooting a stock g35, to converting it to full open. Then I shot a buddies custom 2011 and it was over for me. Had to buy a custom 2011 and the speed belts/pouches etc.

The only real determining factor that may help simplify what type of gun or what division to shoot in is if you are reloading or just going to shoot factory ammo.

USPSA is more gaming and IDPA is more defensive situational.

My experience has been only with USPSA and Steel Challenge. I would like to go to an IDPA event just to see what the differences really are from the shooting perspective.
Texas CHL Instructor
www.austinarmory.com
IWB Custom Holsters - CHL Classes - CHL/Holster Packages.

joseywales

Post by joseywales »

Go here for 3-gun in DFW area. http://www.northtexasmultigun.com/, or https://www.facebook.com/NorthTexasMultigun
Jeremy M (NTMG) & Mo G (3MR) are great folks putting on great matches.
Range is probably 50-60 miles south of the DFW airport - between Waxahachie & Maypearl.

Go here for IDPA & USPSA - http://www.ctidpa.com

CDGMAC

Post by CDGMAC »

IDPA website usually has some good info. Good luck!
Mac Mackinzie

anomie

Post by anomie »

jmain wrote:Don't try and go fast your first few matches, more than likely you will move like a snail, or forget to move at all. Just stay safe and learn.
I've been thinking about going to a match and hearing that makes me a lot more likely to actually go do it. I'd want to go snail slow to start. (I'd also want to do something that allowed drawing/shooting from concealment - are there different rules for that in IDPA vs. IPSC vs. USPSA? )
You can have an attitude
or you can carry a gun
but you can't do both
-- unknown (If you have any information on the origination of this quote, please let me know)

Return to “Competitive Shooting”