Thunder Match

IDPA, IPSC, ICORE & More!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
SRVA

Thunder Match

Post by SRVA »

What a great day to shoot. A little foggy at the start but things cleared up quickly. We shot 8 great scenarios and had 19 shooters. With 12 of our regular shooters at the Louisiana State Championships, that was a great turn out. We also had three new shooters. Sorry you missed it.

Steve

jbirds1210
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jbirds1210 »

As always........the match was great! Impossible to lose at the Thunder match.....I laughed until my face hurts and learned a great deal.
Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

KinnyLee
Posts in topic: 1

Post by KinnyLee »

Hehe, I am still embarassed about shooter/trigger malfunction. :oops:
It was fun though. :lol:

JLaw
Posts in topic: 4

Post by JLaw »

Hmmm, I really need to get involved in this. Lots to learn there and sounds like a lot of fun.

JLaw

jbirds1210
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jbirds1210 »

JLaw wrote:Hmmm, I really need to get involved in this. Lots to learn there and sounds like a lot of fun.

JLaw
Feel free to ask any questions......you will regret sitting on the fence....I know I did!

PSC match in Friendswood is two weekends from now.....meet me in Texas City and I will drive :grin:
Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

JLaw

Post by JLaw »

Thank you for the offer, Jason, I'll keep that in mind and check my schedule when I get back in town later this week (heading out to El Paso in 1 hour).

This match at PSC, is it just a regular IDPA event? And how many funny looks will I get for bringing my carry revolver?? :lol:

JLaw

Edit: I'm getting interested now, I'll probably check with the better half and make sure there's no plans for that weekend, then I'll PM you when I'm back in town and let you know if I can make it.

Topic author
SRVA

Post by SRVA »

Got word back late last evening from the crew that went to Louisiana. of the 13 shooters that went, 9 got trophies. I believe it was 4 firsts, 4 seconds and one 4th place. I'll post details when they become availble.

Jeremae

Post by Jeremae »

JLaw wrote:Thank you for the offer, Jason, I'll keep that in mind and check my schedule when I get back in town later this week (heading out to El Paso in 1 hour).

This match at PSC, is it just a regular IDPA event? And how many funny looks will I get for bringing my carry revolver?? :lol:

JLaw

Edit: I'm getting interested now, I'll probably check with the better half and make sure there's no plans for that weekend, then I'll PM you when I'm back in town and let you know if I can make it.
Unfortunately I have to miss this months PSC match as it is Opening weekend for Highlands Little League. PSC puts on a great match.

Thunder has a weekly wensday night match with signups at 6. In addition, there will be a match March 31st with classifier. We have several wheelgun guys. When you started getting jokes aimed at you, you know you're IN.

My advice on IDPA is : If you own an appropriate gun (ask here about specfic gun if you don't know) a belt holster and at least 3 magazines or 4 speedloaders, can safely draw from your holster and pay attention to safety rules, come out and join in. Don't wait until you can practice shooting or get a better gun or any other excuse you can think up. NO ONE will ridicule you for lack of experience or ability. You will get help from everyone there. and you WILL HAVE FUN... We're kinda like the Borg that way....
Reasonable gun control is hitting your target with the first shot.

JLaw

Post by JLaw »

As far as speedloaders goes, I've got more than 4 sitting around, although it's a mix of Safariland and HKS...no matter. Now as far as the appropriate gun thing, can you give more information about that?

My daily carry gun is a S&W 19-5 with a 2 1/2" barrell. I also have a 4" barrell Taurus in .357 Mag. I figure the lil' S&W 642 probably doesn't qualify for shooting IDPA. ;-)

I have several semi-auto's, just don't shoot them much and rarely carry them. With the right rig I'd like to carry my S&W 4006, but thinking of carrying that all day makes my back ache!

Oh, any problems shooting lead reloads at outdoor IDPA matches?

JLaw

DMG

Post by DMG »

JLaw: Actually, there is no problem with using any of the three revolvers you listed, although you might be more competitive with the 4" Taurus and less so with the 642. If the 19-5 is your usual carry gun, use that. Additionally, no problem with using lead loads. David G.

JLaw

Post by JLaw »

:thumbsup:

Thank you.

JLaw

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

A FWIW, clubs sometimes hold non-sanctioned BUG matches, and your 19-5 would be right at home there. The rules require revolvers have a barrel less than three inches long, and all BUG courses of fire are designed for a maximum of five rounds per string, with no reloads on the clock.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

I hated that I had to miss the match. I should be able to attend the next one.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

Return to “Competitive Shooting”