Thunder Tactical Shooters - anyone?

IDPA, IPSC, ICORE & More!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Posts in topic: 8

Thunder Tactical Shooters - anyone?

Post by 77346 »

I've been thinking about IDPA for a while now... decided to sign up for a couple of matches with Thunder Tactical Shooters up in Conroe (at Thunder Gun Range).

So, I'll be there next Wednesday evening...

Anyone here shoots with TTS? or has been to Thunder Gun Range?
Alex
NRA Benefactor Life & TSRA Life Member
Bay Area Shooting Club Member
CHL since 7/12 | 28 days mailbox-to-mailbox

Middle Age Russ
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Thunder Tactical Shooters - anyone?

Post by Middle Age Russ »

Been to Thunder many times. We are members of Thunder Shooters Club, but have not shot with Thunder Tactical Shooters. We did go to an dIDPA evening at Gun Emporium, a bit west of Conroe.

Go have fun!!
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Topic author

Post by 77346 »

So what is Thunder Shooter's Club all about?
Alex

Middle Age Russ
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Middle Age Russ »

Here is a link to their web page.
http://www.thundergunrange.com/shootersclub.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They offer lots of different opportunities to engage in shooting exercises beyond simply firing froma stationary position. I responded to your PM with some other details.

Russ
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Topic author

Post by 77346 »

Thanks for the link and info, Ross... I'll look into that as well.
Alex

canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

I shoot with TTS on a pretty regular basis. They run a good match. The Wednesday/Thursday night matches vary quite a bit depending on who designs the stages that night. Their monthly Saturday match is always well run, challenging, and fun. The monthly match is definantly tough for a first timer.

Best advice I can give you is don't try to shoot with the top shooters. You'll be tempted to watch them and then try to run the same speed that they are running. Take your time, be safe, and make your shots. If you get squaded with an old guy named Al, don't be embarassed about losing to some guy in his 70's.

If you get squaded with a fat guy in a pink vest, shake his hand, be nice to him and buy him a beer after the match. :biggrinjester:
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Post by C-dub »

canvasbck wrote:Best advice I can give you is don't try to shoot with the top shooters. You'll be tempted to watch them and then try to run the same speed that they are running. Take your time, be safe, and make your shots. If you get squaded with an old guy named Al, don't be embarassed about losing to some guy in his 70's.
That is some good advice for IDPA newbies. I'm still pretty new to IDPA. Only done about a half dozen matches and finally got classified. There are several older gentlemen that school me and a couple of them even do it with a revolver. I'm not bad, but there's plenty of room for improvement. I look forward to being one of those old guys.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author

Post by 77346 »

Thanks for the advice... at this point my interest is just practicing, not really competing. I've never participated in anything like this, so I have no expectation on finishing ahead of anybody!

Glad to hear they run good matches... would be nice to make it to one of the Saturday matches, but for now I'll stick with the Wed or Thr night practice matches.

@canvasbck, pick vest? really? :lol:
Alex

canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

77346 wrote:Thanks for the advice... at this point my interest is just practicing, not really competing. I've never participated in anything like this, so I have no expectation on finishing ahead of anybody!

Glad to hear they run good matches... would be nice to make it to one of the Saturday matches, but for now I'll stick with the Wed or Thr night practice matches.

@canvasbck, pick vest? really? :lol:
I came up with the idea when I was ordering this vest after I had inadvertantly left 2 cheaper brown vests at the range and never saw them again. Now, if I accidently leave my vest at the range, the 3x pink vest is waiting there for me if I leave it. :coolgleamA:

I have to admit, you do have to be secure in your manhood to wear a pink shooting vest. I have been asked at several matches "Did you lose a bet or somthing?"

Here's the pink vest in all it's glory...........although it wasn't my best match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g1LxOd3 ... r_embedded

Topic author

Post by 77346 »

Nice shooting, canvasback... that's quite impressive! :tiphat:
Alex

canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

Thanks, I have come a long way in the last two years, but I have a long way to go.

There are many shooters much better than I am...........for now.

gwashorn

Post by gwashorn »

Now Now Canvasback, you know you are PROUD of that PINK vest... It shows off your best side..... The rest of you can figure out which side that is. However, Canvasback gives great advice on how to approach a match as a new shooter. Take it to heart as it will help keep you safe and have a lot of fun. We both have come a long way since two years ago and working hard to go a lot farther. This is a good sport, with good people. Hoping rain holds off for this Sat myself to go up with canvasback and shoot this weekend.
Gary
AGGIE '74
NRA, TSRA, TFC
Team Trainwreck

Topic author

Post by 77346 »

match cancelled due to rain :roll: I'll be there next week
Alex

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I was recently told that Thunder Range no longer has IDPA matches. When did this happen?

Chas.

Birdie

Post by Birdie »

Weird. They are still on the calendar on the web site.
By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.
Benjamin Franklin

Return to “Competitive Shooting”