Anyone do Cowboy Action Shooting ?

IDPA, IPSC, ICORE & More!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Baytown_Cajun
Posts in topic: 3

Anyone do Cowboy Action Shooting ?

Post by Baytown_Cajun »

Anyone do Cowboy Action Shooting ? It sounds like it may be a fun way to plink or become comfortable with recoil, noise and gunpowder smell. I know very little about it; only have seen it in magazines. I am in the Houston area new, are there any good clubs ?

EKO
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Anyone do Cowboy Action Shooting ?

Post by EKO »

I will be doing Cowboy Action Shooting. Went out and visited Texas Renegades a couple of months ago. Very nice people. looked like they had about 50 people shooting. They say to come on out and shoot, someone will let you borrow a gun. i am waiting on My Uberti model 1873 to come in, Then I will feel comfortable.

PBratton
Posts in topic: 2

Post by PBratton »

It is an absolute HOOT!

Go check out the Texas Historical Shooting Society in Columbus, they have a great range and always have a great group of folks to show you around.

http://www.thss.org/
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

Topic author
Baytown_Cajun

Post by Baytown_Cajun »

Do you have to shoot rifles, shotguns, and single action revolvers, just one alone or all combined ? I really like classic style shotguns and lever rifles, but not single action revolvers.

Dadtodabone

Post by Dadtodabone »

Baytown_Cajun wrote:Do you have to shoot rifles, shotguns, and single action revolvers, just one alone or all combined ? I really like classic style shotguns and lever rifles, but not single action revolvers.
You might like the "Wild Bunch" side matches that include 1911s instead of SAAs.
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Baytown_Cajun wrote:Anyone do Cowboy Action Shooting ? It sounds like it may be a fun way to plink or become comfortable with recoil, noise and gunpowder smell. I know very little about it; only have seen it in magazines. I am in the Houston area new, are there any good clubs ?
My chiropractor here in west Houston does it most every weekend. Send me some contact info via PM, and I'll be happy to introduce the two of you.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

elpjt

Post by elpjt »

Baytown_Cajun wrote:Do you have to shoot rifles, shotguns, and single action revolvers, just one alone or all combined ? I really like classic style shotguns and lever rifles, but not single action revolvers.

A cowboy match usually has several stages (scenarios) that involve the use of your weapons. A standard stage might be 5 shots from one of your pistols holstering it and then 5 shots with your other pistol. Then a 10 shot string from a pistol caliber rifle. The shotgun is usually a four shot string. Single action revolvers, a lever action rifle in the same caliber and a 20 or 12 ga. shotgun rounds out the usual gun list. In the wild bunch division a 1911 is substituted for the revolver and a Winchester 1897 pump shotgun is used instead of a side by side. Accuracy is rewarded and time is recorded. Do not be surprised to see a revolver division beat the wild bunch guys. I won my last match wild bunch division but missed match winner by around 20 seconds. Those old guys can really shoot. Its a great time and a challenge to your skills.
Last edited by elpjt on Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Run Fast, Turn Left

Topic author
Baytown_Cajun

Post by Baytown_Cajun »

So you need to have three firearms, 1 single-action Western era revolver, 1 Western era shotgun, 1 Western era rifle, to participate or compete?

Moby

Post by Moby »

Most Cowboy action shoots use all three firearms.
Single action revolvers are kind of the center of the shoot.
It's very expensive to get into because you need four firearms and costumes.
But the one I went to was a blast.
Be without fear in the face of your enemies.
Stand brave and upright that the Lord may love thee.
Speak the truth always even if it means your death.
Protect the helpless and do no wrong!

elpjt

Post by elpjt »

Costumes can set you back a pretty penny but most start with a pair of boots, jeans, a pearl button shirt, and a cowboy hat. What gets expensive is when the wife decides she wants to participate in the fun and needs her own rig. I would start out with the essentials and expand as you like. We are up to four holster rigs around five outfits and accessories. We have a great time and get family bragging rights to who scored higher in their division. And the looks you get when going to lunch after the match are priceless.
Last edited by elpjt on Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Run Fast, Turn Left

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

PBratton wrote:It is an absolute HOOT!

Go check out the Texas Historical Shooting Society in Columbus, they have a great range and always have a great group of folks to show you around.

I didn't know there was a group out in Columbus doing it. I know there is one out at Eagle Lake.
Psalm 91:2

bulinm

Post by bulinm »

Here's a site with good info on getting started.

http://www.curtrich.com/GettingStarted01.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CAS is the best excuse I've ever found for buying new guns. The primary umbrella organizations
are SASS and NCOWS. Check out their websites, also. Be safe and have fun.
Dallas

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doin' in a rustic setting like this ?

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

SQLGeek wrote:
PBratton wrote:It is an absolute HOOT!

I didn't know there was a group out in Columbus doing it. I know there is one out at Eagle Lake.
Yup. Looks like trailhead is going on through the 24th, so this month's shoot is off. They run matches 3rd Sunday of the month. Go watch one, you'll be hooked.
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

I believe you. I used to do historical reenacting so that is right up my alley. As always though, time and money. :)
Psalm 91:2

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

I am in the process of collecting the various firearms needed to begin.

So far I have a Henry .44 and a Winchester 1897 copy made by Cimarron F.A. in Fredericksburg.

Looking for Pistols in .44 Remington Mag.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Return to “Competitive Shooting”