LAST WEEKEND FOR IDPA SO RENEWAL

IDPA, IPSC, ICORE & More!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
CWOOD
Posts in topic: 2

LAST WEEKEND FOR IDPA SO RENEWAL

Post by CWOOD »

Just a reminder to any IDPA Safety Officers who have not renewed their certification online following the establishment of the new rule book.

This is the last weekend to do it all online for free. After the end of the month, anyone who has not renewed their SO certification will have to go through the full in-person training again.

I let it slip up on me and just got it finished this morning.

Here is the link to a PDF of the new 2013 rulebook:

http://www.idpa.com/compete/rules" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can download and print it for your reference.

Here is the link to take the test:

http://www.classmarker.com/online-test/ ... e1355d5b84" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The test is OPEN BOOK so you can use the new rule book. You are allowed 2 hours to take the test and you can make 2 attempts online to pass it with a score of 85%.

You will need you IDPA membership number.

The neat thing is that your can start the test, skip any answers that you are not sure of, log off and study some more and then log back on to take more of the test. You are only timed for the amount of time you are actually logged on and there is a small countdown clock to let you know how much time remains.

There are 100 questions and there are really no trick questions.

What I did was to down load and print the new rules and read them over a couple of times, or a little more and then I logged on and went through the test and answered all that I was sure of and made notes on questions (with question #'s) I was not confident of. I re-read appropriate portions of the rules and noted answers.

I then logged back on and went through each question answering all that I had not previously answered and reviewed others that I had answered. I then repeated as required to complete the test and feel confident of my work.

After I submitted my test I was told that I had passed and could print a basic Certificate to that effect and the questions I did not answer correctly were displayed, with the correct answers AND the quoted portion of the rulebook giving the information I needed to learn the correct answer.

The Tiger Teams doing the revisions did a LOT of quality work in their very successful effort. They clarified a lot of ambiguous areas of the old rules and wrote a whole new section on rules for permanently disabled shooters in order to give all a reasonable opportunity to participate.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: LAST WEEKEND FOR IDPA SO RENEWAL

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I was really hoping to see IDPA dump the absurd limit/ratio of non-threat to threat targets. It isn't merely unnecessary, it's counterproductive for many real world scenarios. Based upon my conversations with IDPA shooters, it seems as though this was the most requested change, but it didn't happen.

Chas.

Topic author
CWOOD
Posts in topic: 2

Re: LAST WEEKEND FOR IDPA SO RENEWAL

Post by CWOOD »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I was really hoping to see IDPA dump the absurd limit/ratio of non-threat to threat targets. It isn't merely unnecessary, it's counterproductive for many real world scenarios. Based upon my conversations with IDPA shooters, it seems as though this was the most requested change, but it didn't happen.

Chas.
Charles, there are a couple of things I am not fond of too, but I guess with 20,000 members, everyone has something that they would prefer to have been done otherwise.

I spoke with Terry (Bubba) Burba, who led one of the teams, and I think even he would have preferred a few things different.

I do think that, overall, it is a much cleaner and better document.

I can see your point about the opinion that allowing more non-threats might be appropriate given the fact of so many widely reported mass shootings and their very high non-threat head count ratio to threat targets. In my conversation with Bubba we didn't discuss that topic. He shoots with Texas Tactical frequently and the next time I get a chance I'll ask him about that topic and what factors were considered during the discussion of that matter. I would be happy to let you know what he says.

Return to “Competitive Shooting”