Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 9

Thinking about giving IDPA a look - beginner questions

Post by Taypo »

Hey folks,

Im giving serious thought to a trip out to Greenville for a CCIDPA match, probably just to hang out for a match to see how it goes. For those of you who know, is it worth the time and effort? I'm getting the urge to shoot a little more than paper.

From what I understand, its relatively easy to get into gear-wise and won't break the bank. I have no illusions about competing at a high level, but I'm hoping it's as fun as it appears. Is it a decent group of folks? No real desire to hang out with a bunch of elitist gun snobs.

Anything else I should be looking out for?

Thanks!

Reds45ACP
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Thinking about giving IDPA a look - beginner questions

Post by Reds45ACP »

IDPA is a good entry level practical pistol shooting sport. It can be a lot of fun at a local level. Getting a safe & rules legal holster and mag pouches is relatively cheap. If you have your CHL and carry regularly you can use your IWB or OWB concealment holster (if it is on the waistband and sits 3-4 o'clock) and that saves you on holster cost. It will build your confidence in drawing and shooting.

I can highly recommend you try it out. It may lead to other shooting sports addictions. :fire

Here area few "getting started" pages:

General Guide: http://www.doubletapdsc.com/newidpa.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IDPA Rule Book: http://members.idpa.com/Content/Rules/x2gukat1.wyt.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Don't worry about the stage design or the details of the calls. Have a look at the equipment rules to figure out where your pistol will place you and get familiar with the range commands.
Hello. My name is Red and I used to carry a .45. Now I carry a 9mm and it's getting easier to admit every day.

Topic author
Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

Reds45ACP wrote:IDPA is a good entry level practical pistol shooting sport. It can be a lot of fun at a local level. Getting a safe & rules legal holster and mag pouches is relatively cheap. If you have your CHL and carry regularly you can use your IWB or OWB concealment holster (if it is on the waistband and sits 3-4 o'clock) and that saves you on holster cost. It will build your confidence in drawing and shooting.

I can highly recommend you try it out. It may lead to other shooting sports addictions. :fire

Here area few "getting started" pages:

General Guide: http://www.doubletapdsc.com/newidpa.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IDPA Rule Book: http://members.idpa.com/Content/Rules/x2gukat1.wyt.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Don't worry about the stage design or the details of the calls. Have a look at the equipment rules to figure out where your pistol will place you and get familiar with the range commands.
Thanks Red.

I do have my CHL and I'd definitely prefer to run with my carry gear, but I'm not sure how well I'd do with a 3" 1911. I'd probably run with the 5", same basic mechanics. My carry holster is IWB but I actually wear it around 2:30-2:45 which, from what I understand, is a no-go?

I did a pretty good bit of research last night. I think my major hang up is the crowd at this point, which isnt gonna get solved until I check the place out

Reds45ACP

Post by Reds45ACP »

Taypo wrote:
Thanks Red.

I do have my CHL and I'd definitely prefer to run with my carry gear, but I'm not sure how well I'd do with a 3" 1911. I'd probably run with the 5", same basic mechanics. My carry holster is IWB but I actually wear it around 2:30-2:45 which, from what I understand, is a no-go?

I did a pretty good bit of research last night. I think my major hang up is the crowd at this point, which isnt gonna get solved until I check the place out
What I have found is that, for the most part, any practical pistol shooting group is friendly and helpful.

Yeah, the IDPA rule book in regards to holster position states: 8.5.1.11 Must be positioned on the belt so that the center of the trigger pad is behind the centerline of the body.

Are your 1911s .45 or 9mm?
Hello. My name is Red and I used to carry a .45. Now I carry a 9mm and it's getting easier to admit every day.

Topic author
Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

They make 1911's in 9mm? ;-)

They're .45.

Reds45ACP

Post by Reds45ACP »

Taypo wrote:They make 1911's in 9mm? ;-)

They're .45.
Hey, I feel the same way. None-the-less they do exist. LOL :smilelol5:

You can shoot the 5" in CDP and the 3" in the new CCP class (geared more towards actual carry guns). Either one will be fun to shoot. :thumbs2:

Topic author
Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

I was reading a little bit about the new class last night, it seems like a good idea but it also seems like the same gun can be used in multiple classes (some of the Glocks, etc)

Question for you, since we're on the topic - is there a grip mod restriction? I run Hogues, can they stay on?

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

Taypo wrote:I was reading a little bit about the new class last night, it seems like a good idea but it also seems like the same gun can be used in multiple classes (some of the Glocks, etc)

Question for you, since we're on the topic - is there a grip mod restriction? I run Hogues, can they stay on?
Yes, you can keep your Hogue or any other grip sleeve on your gun.

I've shot the monthly matches at PSC for about a year now. My advice is to just get out there and do it. Most clubs have a new member orientation of some sort, so take advantage of that. Also, just take it slow. Concentrate on putting quality shots on target and keeping safe. If you let yourself, you'll have a great time and meet some really good folks who will give you as much or as little advice as you want.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

Topic author
Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

Thanks guys. I'm over thinking it, I'm sure :)

PaJ
Posts in topic: 1

Post by PaJ »

ModernSelfProtection.com just came out with a podcast on this subject. The notes from the podcast are published as well.

http://modernselfprotection.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

C-dub
Posts in topic: 5

Post by C-dub »

I watched a match before entering one and afterwards wondered why. While I could have just jumped right in I still think I did the right thing for me. It gave me a chance to see how things worked without having that little bit of stress during the first shooting match.

Anyway, my advice is to be safe, don't rush to be fast, and ask questions. In my short, 2 years, experience in IDPA, most of the folks are real nice people. Due to the nature of the sport and risks involved, they are also more than happy to answer questions to make sure you understand the rules and what is supposed to happen so that everyone goes home with the same number of holes they arrived with.

Focus more on not missing shots than going fast. Speed can come later.

I don't see any problem with competing with your EDC. Many folks do because it is what they will use when the stuff hits the fan and it doesn't really matter how you do against other people as long as you get more proficient and confident in your ability.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

Thanks for all the advice, guys.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 1

Post by carlson1 »

Question: Those who carry a Glock 23, but have the LW 9mm conversion barrel (9mm much cheaper) for practice can they use it in IDPA?

Reading those rules is like reading the Penal Code. :biggrinjester:

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Actually, I've been thinking of joining another shooting club's matches that are run by/for friends of mine. I don't know if they are using the IDPA or IPSC rules/format, but I've been thinking acquiring a higher capacity 9mm for that purpose. One of the two I'm looking at is the Springfield XD(M) 5.25" Competition model, and the other is a Gen4 Glock 34. I'm partial to Springfield's pistols, particularly for ergonomic reasons, but if there were significant reasons, including a significant price difference, I could be persuaded to buy the Glock. If money were no object, I'd seriously consider a hammer-fired Sig, if I could find one with some degree of ambidexterity.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

carlson1 wrote:Question: Those who carry a Glock 23, but have the LW 9mm conversion barrel (9mm much cheaper) for practice can they use it in IDPA?

Reading those rules is like reading the Penal Code. :biggrinjester:
The simple answer would be no, you cannot use a conversion kit in IDPA.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

Return to “Competitive Shooting”