Self-defense help?

IDPA, IPSC, ICORE & More!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
TexanVeteran
Posts in topic: 2

Self-defense help?

Post by TexanVeteran »

I am still waiting to get my LTC in the mail, but I have a question or two. The LTC class only taught laws and use of force type stuff.

So, does competitive shooting (if I can find any) help with any situation I may find myself in?

I know the chances are slim to be in a situation, but I want to be ready just in case.

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Self-defense help?

Post by Flightmare »

There are competitions that may help you practice shooting on the move. Several of our members do formal training with instructors that would be more real world applicable. They may be able to speak more to what is involved in those training sessions.

If you're looking for something relatively inexpensive that can help, you might try some of the laser trainers made by different manufacturers. These trainers are basically a laser built into a dummy round that is triggered when the "primer" is hit by the firing pin. The targets react to the laser light, letting you know you have hit it. You can then practice draw and fire, as well as firing while on the move, and shooting from behind concealment/cover all from the comfort of your home.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

txpilot

Post by txpilot »

I believe you said you're in Houston. If so, you might want to check out Shiloh Shooting Range on Shiloh Church Road (FM 1960 & SH 249 area). They have competition shooting on Thursday evenings (USPSA on the first and last Thursday, and IDPA on the other Thursdays).

They also have classes on Sunday nights (normally the 2nd and 3rd Sunday) which can be very helpful - draw from holster, low light, strong/weak hand, etc.

As it happens, there is a class tonight (11/25) at Shiloh - starts at 6:15pm and costs $35. You'll need about 100 rounds for the class if you decide to come. It's a good class and typically about 8-10 people show up for it.

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

Competitive shooting provides practice in manipulating the gun, engaging multiple targets, moving and shooting, sometimes shooting while moving and sometimes shooting moving targets. To boot, these opportunities can provide some stress to the situation (but nothing like a full-on adrenaline dump).

Depending on the specific league rules, you may or may not be able to use your carry gun, carry holster and clothing. For self-defense, you'll also want to train in presentation of the gun from how you carry it. You can practice this using an unloaded firearm at home to a good degree.

Other things you may or may not get exposed to in competition are low light shooting, use of cover and concealment, one-hand and/or off-hand shooting. You can sometimes find training opportunities that focus on these skills.

Another thing to consider is how to get to your gun if an attacker is already engaging you. To me this part of self-defense is every bit as important as any of the other aspects already mentioned, so I train in empty-hand skills as well.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

TexanVeteran wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:51 pm So, does competitive shooting (if I can find any) help with any situation I may find myself in?
Yes! Someone is going to correctly point out that competition is not training, but it is practice. I much prefer IDPA over any other type of competition because the rules are closer to what you should practice for self-defense shooting. How much it helps will depend largely on how well the scenarios are designed. Our monthly match at PSC are held on the 4th Saturday. Mark Stavrakis is the IDPA Match Director and he designs the best scenarios you will see anywhere. That isn't just my opinion, it's what we hear regularly from shooters who compete in regional matches and state championships. Our monthly matches have been praised as being better than regionals and championships.

Competition is even more important for people who shoot at ranges that won't let them practice critical self-defense skills such as drawing from a holster and engaging, shooting on the move, shooting moving targets, etc.

Here's a link to an article written by a SWAT guy who is also a firearms trainer.

Chas.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

My advice is to just do it.

Competition is an affordable way to challenge yourself, experience new things, meet like minded people, and get practice that you can't get on a typical range. Like the article says, it won't make you a master gunfighter but there are a lot of benefits.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

ELB

Post by ELB »

I recommend you contact the Central Texas Combatives Training Group through their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/CTCTG

They are a club that self-organizes training sessions that are generally free, or with a nominal cost to cover minor expenses, combined with bringing in professional instructions. At least when I was active the self-organized training sessions were the majority of activity and the most important part -- you get to practice what you learn against other people. They cover a range of SD activities, from dealing with street encounters that may or may not be preludes to a mugging, open hand combatives, dealing with knives, handgun self-defense (including air soft force-on-force, rifles/shotguns, and lots of scenario training.

I don't know where you are, the CTCTG is headquartered in the Waco/Salado area, but they often have little branches in various other towns, even other states. If you can get another guy, or two or three, who are interested in improving your SD skills, the leader of the CTCTG, Steve, will help ou get organized.

Best wishes and check it out.
USAF 1982-2005

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

ELB wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:51 am I recommend you contact the Central Texas Combatives Training Group through their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/CTCTG

They are a club that self-organizes training sessions that are generally free, or with a nominal cost to cover minor expenses, combined with bringing in professional instructions. At least when I was active the self-organized training sessions were the majority of activity and the most important part -- you get to practice what you learn against other people. They cover a range of SD activities, from dealing with street encounters that may or may not be preludes to a mugging, open hand combatives, dealing with knives, handgun self-defense (including air soft force-on-force, rifles/shotguns, and lots of scenario training.

I don't know where you are, the CTCTG is headquartered in the Waco/Salado area, but they often have little branches in various other towns, even other states. If you can get another guy, or two or three, who are interested in improving your SD skills, the leader of the CTCTG, Steve, will help ou get organized.

Best wishes and check it out.
Looks like a great group. We need a branch in DFW
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

ELB

Post by ELB »

Paladin wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:05 pm ...

Looks like a great group. We need a branch in DFW
They've had branches there in the past, contact them and they should be able to put you in touch. If the others are dormant, then start one, they will help.
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
TexanVeteran

Post by TexanVeteran »

AndyC wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:56 am It'll help you learn to manipulate your weapon more fluently while testing you and your gear, ultimately leaving your brain free to handle the tactical problem at hand.

Besides that, it's just plain fun and the IDPA folks are very understanding of and welcoming to new folks.
The last part of this actually makes me feel a while lot better. I'm waiting to get the holster I'm going to be using for my carry gun every day, and then I will definitely be looking for some fun competitions.

Who knows, might even see some of you at some of them.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

IDPA matches are fun. They do offer good practice and a variety of scenarios to get you thinking tactics.

However, my club dropped IDPA a couple years ago because they started changing some of the rules that pulled away from real life practices and more like a game to be able to deduct points and make it easier to separate competitors scores. It kinda ruins the sport for new shooters that don't see the point of some of the rules. My club went to a personal defense type match that has its basis in IDPA, but allows more freedom for some things that would/could happen in the real world.

How ever its done it is good as long as it's done safely.

My first match, I went with a friend just to watch and halfway through wish I had entered. After several more matches I bought my own timer. I'm glad I did. I changed employers shortly after that and haven't been able to do, but one or two matches a year at the most due to my schedule. However, I can still set up single or multiple targets and practice on my own. Another advantage of being a member of a private outdoor club and having a couple weekdays off each week.

When you do your first match don't be too intimidated by the others. You are there for yourself. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Actual speed will come in time. You don't want to rush things when it comes to a sport like this if you're not proficient enough and ready for it.

Happy shooting and I hope your bank account can handle it. It's addicting!
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “Competitive Shooting”