Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 14

Re: The Tactical Games coming to Texas

Post by Paladin »

PriestTheRunner wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:33 pm
Thanks, I was trying to research that.

The games apparently only allow 5.56. I emailed to see if 300BLK is acceptable, and they replied no. I'm betting its to easily track that you are using proper ammo (no competitive loads). I'll have to build out a different AR to do this one... oh darn. :)

Looks fun.

edit: The no red dots or RMR on pistols rule may be a deal breaker though. Plenty of people use RMRs on carry guns these days and from what I can tell its pretty much unanimous across the spec ops community. Thats a weird rule. :/
I noticed that too about the pistol red dot/RMR rule. The have a lot of very sensible rules and that one stands out as bit of an odd rule. Shouldn't affect me as I don't have any RMR pistols (yet).
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Elite Division Recommended Standards:
Physical Standards:
Minimum / Recommended / Time
1.5 mile run with Kit 12 min / 10.5 min
Push-ups 50 / 80-100 / 2 min
Grip/Leg Strength* 30 / 50-60 / 2 min
Power/Endurance* 5 min / 3.5 min
Pull-ups 6 / 10-15
Cannot come off the bar. Must be strict. No kipping

*Grip/Leg Strength: Use (2) 45lb dumbbells and do full squats from dumbbell touching the ground to full extension.
*Power/Endurance: Pickup and move a 50lb sandbag 50yards and do 10 burpees, repeat for a total of 4 runs and record total time. Time should fall within the 7-12 minute range.

Shooting Standards:

1. 300 point accuracy standard; to be done at 15 yards, 2 hand, strong hand, and support hand; 10 shots for each method. Shot with an NRA B8P bullseye target and can be done at any indoor range. Minimum passing score is 80% and recommended score is 90-95%
2. Fast Drill @ 7 yards: Minimum time hack is 7s and recommended standard is sub 6s

http://pistol-training.com/drills/the-fast

3. El Presidente Drill @7 yards: Recommended time envelope is between 7 and 9 seconds.

4. Walk Back Drill

Starting at 10 yards, shoot one round on steel.
Walk back 10 yards, and shoot another round on steel.
Repeat this process and walk back as far as you can go before missing repeatedly.
Normally, a shooter gets two shots at each distance. If the shooter misses both shots at a particular distance, the drill is finished and he has reached the limit at which his/her fundamentals break down.
An athlete competing in the Elite Division should be able to shoot fairly easily out to 50 yards and beyond. Great shooters can continue to hit steel out to well over 100 yards.

Elite athletes may encounter:

150# - 200# Sandbag carries and lifts
Multiple Rope Climbs in full kit, back to back
Obstacles such as wall climbs, low crawls, monkey bars, tunnel crawls, balance beams, etc.
Pistol Shots out to 50 yards on a C-Zone Steel Target
Off Axis shots with rifle
--------------------------------------------------------------
I gotta practice!
Last edited by Paladin on Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

SpringerFan
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SpringerFan »

Too broken to compete, but I will go watch, sounds like fun.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
Col. Jeff Cooper

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Since I have NRA targets handy I shot the course-of-fire for Shooting standard #1. Tactical Games didn't provide a time limit and rapid fire time-limit was easy with 2 hands. With right/left only I easily made the NRA timed fire requirements. My support hand only was definitely the weakest, but it didn't bring my score below the recommended zone.

Now those physical standards are gonna take a bit longer... :biggrinjester:

equin
Posts in topic: 6

Post by equin »

Paladin wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:16 pm Elite Division Recommended Standards:
Physical Standards:
Minimum / Recommended / Time
1.5 mile run with Kit 12 min / 10.5 min
Push-ups 50 / 80-100 / 2 min
Grip/Leg Strength* 30 / 50-60 / 2 min
Power/Endurance* 5 min / 3.5 min
Pull-ups 6 / 10-15
Cannot come off the bar. Must be strict. No kipping

*Grip/Leg Strength: Use (2) 45lb dumbbells and do full squats from dumbbell touching the ground to full extension.
*Power/Endurance: Pickup and move a 50lb sandbag 50yards and do 10 burpees, repeat for a total of 4 runs and record total time. Time should fall within the 7-12 minute range.

Shooting Standards:

1. 300 point accuracy standard; to be done at 15 yards, 2 hand, strong hand, and support hand; 10 shots for each method. Shot with an NRA B8P bullseye target and can be done at any indoor range. Minimum passing score is 80% and recommended score is 90-95%
2. Fast Drill @ 7 yards: Minimum time hack is 7s and recommended standard is sub 6s

http://pistol-training.com/drills/the-fast

3. El Presidente Drill @7 yards: Recommended time envelope is between 7 and 9 seconds.

4. Walk Back Drill

Starting at 10 yards, shoot one round on steel.
Walk back 10 yards, and shoot another round on steel.
Repeat this process and walk back as far as you can go before missing repeatedly.
Normally, a shooter gets two shots at each distance. If the shooter misses both shots at a particular distance, the drill is finished and he has reached the limit at which his/her fundamentals break down.
An athlete competing in the Elite Division should be able to shoot fairly easily out to 50 yards and beyond. Great shooters can continue to hit steel out to well over 100 yards.

Elite athletes may encounter:

150# - 200# Sandbag carries and lifts
Multiple Rope Climbs in full kit, back to back
Obstacles such as wall climbs, low crawls, monkey bars, tunnel crawls, balance beams, etc.
Pistol Shots out to 50 yards on a C-Zone Steel Target
Off Axis shots with rifle
--------------------------------------------------------------
I gotta practice!
The physical minimums are tough but doable with training. They’ll just be tougher for a guy like me in his 50’s. You mention those are “Elite Division” minimums, though. I tried looking it up but couldn’t find more info. Are there other divisions? If so, do you have a link to those and their physical minimums?
Ed

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

equin wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:34 am The physical minimums are tough but doable with training. They’ll just be tougher for a guy like me in his 50’s. You mention those are “Elite Division” minimums, though. I tried looking it up but couldn’t find more info. Are there other divisions? If so, do you have a link to those and their physical minimums?
Division Breakdown
Elite Division Standards
In order to help athletes better determine which Division to compete; we are releasing standards to self-test and classify yourself. We are only publishing Elite Division standards, as the other Divisions are clearly defined. If an athlete doesn’t fit into the Elite Standards, they default to the Intermediate Division. If an athlete is 45 years or older, they can (not mandatory) compete in the Master’s Division. Women’s Division is self-explanatory.
While I've got above average fitness, I'm not SPECOPS fit. I'm thinking the Intermediate or Masters is gonna be more my speed.. but the better you do on the physical and shooting standards, the better you're gonna score in your division.

PriestTheRunner
Posts in topic: 15

Post by PriestTheRunner »

Re-igniting this thread as I volunteered last February at the Texas Shooting Academy tactical games (and am going to be competing come June in the DFW area).

Below I'll post I mini-sermon I gave the next weekend at church regarding the games but put into a faith mindset.

If you guys haven't been to one, they are publicly open and its pretty much fine for anyone to come out and watch. Even better, if you have any physical capabilities you can come out and volunteer for either one or two days. It is a TON of fun and you learn plenty from those guys. The culture is pretty awesome and overall I'm happy that I've stepped into it.

It seems a lot of the IDPA / USSPC / Etc is gamey and overly competitive. On thee, that competitiveness really doesn't present itself. Pretty much anyone will discuss skill / strategy / capabilities / etc on any of the "battles" (IE what they call courses of fire that include exercises).

I don't think anyone on this forum would consider it a wasted weekend to come out and volunteer.

I'll copy and past the mini-sermon in the next post.

PriestTheRunner

Lessons learned from the 2021 Texas Shooting Academy Tactical Games:

(Warning, this one gets a bit faith based but hopefully will be a good read!)

We processed 106 shooters on Saturday and 106 again on Sunday. Since me and the other volunteers were on the long range bay (best crew out there, hands down!) we really got to see a good bit of what seperated out those who had a good chance of winning vs those that fell behind in score.
Some of these guys and girls were tier 1 type dudes, some were Rangers and high level military, and some were the professional shooters that go and win USPCA and IDPA and 3 Gun. And then some are just normal dudes like me that like running the platforms and enjoy guns. Overall, the culture and positivity was awesome- pretty much anyone was willing to share what they knew or had been taught in order to make everyone better. This post should be in that same spirit.

There were three main lessons I learned from watching all of these competitors shoot the exact same thing, one at a time, 3 minutes apart from each other.

Out of alignment

1. Their rifles were not zeroed. In other words, their rifle (and therefore their actions) were not aligned with their optic. They though they were aiming at one thing when then were really aiming somewhere different. It seems basic, but knowing a true zero, the distance of that zero, having a consistent zero through the optic (IE consistent cheek weld and head alignment) and knowing you holdoveres/drop was a HUGE deal. Bigger deal than I thought it would be.
Romans 12:2 ESV
Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect
Also
Proverbs 3:5-6 ESV
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.

Lost Focus on the Goal

2. The competitor shot the wrong target or shot the targets in the wrong order. They did not approach their shooting position with their eyes on the goal. In the distraction of getting into position to do the work, they took their eyes off the target and instead looked at the task immediately before them. Then, when they tried to do what needed to be done, they missed seeing which target they were supposed to be aiming for and shot the wrong targets. (Usually shooting the second target first as the first target was obscured behind that dang eyebrow canopy).
Psalm 25: 12-15
12 Who, then, are those who fear the Lord?
He will instruct them in the ways they should choose.
13 They will spend their days in prosperity,
and their descendants will inherit the land.
14 The Lord confides in those who fear him;
he makes his covenant known to them.
15 My eyes are ever on the Lord,
for only he will release my feet from the snare.

Focusing on the Goal of Another

3. On the second day, the main error that we saw were competitors shooting a different competitors target. Because the targets looked the same, and they were tired after the physical activities that were required of them, and because they were required to shoot through a barricaded system, the competitors failed to ensure that they were completing the task that they were supposed to be completing. Instead, they focused on the task of another.
1 Corinthians 12:4-11
Kuddos to the winners. We'll done and I'll see yall in June!

equin
Posts in topic: 6

Post by equin »

Good stuff, PriestTheRunner! Where in DFW will the games be held? Also, would you happen to have or know of a training regimen for the physical obstacles? I’m guessing wind sprints and lots of Farmer Carries as one such drill, but what about the Rope Climbing Stage for those of us with no ropes to practice climbing? Or just tie a rope to a tree and start practicing that way?
Ed

PriestTheRunner

equin wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:21 pm Good stuff, PriestTheRunner! Where in DFW will the games be held? Also, would you happen to have or know of a training regimen for the physical obstacles? I’m guessing wind sprints and lots of Farmer Carries as one such drill, but what about the Rope Climbing Stage for those of us with no ropes to practice climbing? Or just tie a rope to a tree and start practicing that way?
https://thetacticalgames.com/etts-tx/

http://www.ettsgunrange.com/
maps link

They have a program on TrainHeroic that is $10 a month and put out by one of the main competitors that is also a fitness trainer by occupation. I believe he customizes stuff based on ability. Not sure, as I'm training myself and not on the app. They do post quite a bit of example stages (and actual stages) on the Tactical Games Athletes page. You can literally rebuild the stages into workouts using those posts.

Basically, lots of (1) picking up the heavy things and putting them over a certain height, (2) picking up yourself (with gear) with pullups, rope climbs, or pushups, (3) throwing heavy things, or (4) running. Almost everything boils down into one of those so its really "reality" based (as in moving the heavy things is a useful combat skill) compared to crossfit or some other things that get really technical in movement. Personally I like that even if the weights are too heavy for me.

Farmer's carry have shown up in basically match that I've seen the battle sheets for, and almost always with increasing weights per rep.

I'll post the Utah battles below, since that event is now over.

I wouldn't worry about rope climb. Thats a tricep/deltoid/lattimus dorsi excercise anyways. Some time on the rowing machine with some seated tricep press will actually cover that range of movement. Locking in legs and ankles is running / static pressure strength. Basically, even the stuff that seams really hard is overall general fitness (IE DON'T LEAVE OUT MAJOR MUSCLE GROUPS WHEN YOU WORKOUT). Doing it is gear once or twice may be worth it just to see what works or doesn't work. But you don't have to build it into your routine.

If you don't want to hop in just yet, seriously come volunteer if you're free. You get to meet cool people, get a cool shirt, and get to see firsthand what works or doesn't. I also think it takes a lot of nerves out of the event since you aren't coming in blind.

PriestTheRunner

Battle example 1

Canyon Run
Load Out: 1x30rd Rifle, holster an empty pistol, no pistol mags.
Firing Sequence: Engage each target with 2 rounds each, from all 5 positions. 150 sec shooting
par time
Position 1: White Barricade
Position 2: Tree
Position 3: Anywhere on the car
Position 4: Rooftop
Position 5: Prone
Battle Description:
On the call of go, athletes will run up to the white barricade, make your rifle hot, and start the
firing sequence. Engaging each target (3) with 2rd each. After the white barricade athletes will
transition over to the tree and engage each target with 2rd.
After those shots are complete athletes will transition to the car for the next 6 shots, then
athletes will transition over to the rooftop to engage the next 6 shots. After the rooftop athletes
will go prone on the peninsula for the final 6 shots.
After the firing sequence is complete, athletes will sling their rifle and retain your mag and head
out on the run course.
Follow the arrows and marks leading you down into the canyon and into the river bed. Follow
the course until it takes you to the parking lot at Castle Gate. Cross the parking lot and run up
the ridge on the other side of Castle Gate, following the arrows.
As you come down the ridge the arrows will take you back to the road where you will stay on the
road the entire way back to the finish line.
Elite's: you will perform a second running lap. There is a mark as you come up the road to go
back down into the canyon. Tell the volunteer your athlete number as you run by them going into
your second lap.
Note: Every athlete will wear a rucksack for this event.
Penalties:
10 sec per miss
Last edited by PriestTheRunner on Mon May 03, 2021 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PriestTheRunner

Battle Example 2

Shoot and Scoot:
Load Out: 1x27rd Rifle, As much Pistol ammo as you need to complete the course.
Firing Sequence: You will engage each target with 3 rounds from each position with your rifle.
- Position 1: V-Tac Barrier (Port 2)
- Position 2: Middle of the Spindle
- Position 3: Tank Trap

Then you will engage each pistol targets with 2 hits each.

Battle Description:
On the call of go, athletes will run up to the V-Tac Barricade and make their Rifle hot. Complete the
first 9 shots on the three targets from the V-Tac barrier (PORT 2) then transition to the spindle where
you will complete the next 9 shots, after all shots in that sequence are complete, athletes will move
to the tank trap for the final 9 shots of the firing sequence with your rifle. Hand guard must be in
contact with the tank trap.
After your rifle is empty and slung, athletes will sprint into Castle Gate Town following the arrows to
shoot your pistol. Each piece of steel requires 2 hits per target to move on.
Athletes will shoot from the 3 marked X’s on the ground (First 3 bays on the right inside Castle
Gate), those are your designated shooting windows.
After athletes have shot the final bay, athletes will make a COLD pistol before holstering and
sprinting back to the finish line, following the arrows on the way out. Time stops when the athlete
crosses the finish line.
Athletes must retain mags during this event.
Shooting Penalties:
Rifle:
5 sec per miss
20 sec FTE
Pistol:
2.5 sec FTN (only hit once)
5 sec (engage but not hit at all)
10 sec FTE (never engaged, ran by, choose not to shoot)
Distances:
Elite Men/Women: 233yd - 318yd - 399yd
Masters/Intermediate Men/Women: 153yd - 233yd - 318yd
Last edited by PriestTheRunner on Mon May 03, 2021 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PriestTheRunner

Battle Example 3

Sledding Around
Load Out: 3x15rd Rifle, 3x9rd Pistol

Firing Sequence: Engage far paper target with 15rd rifle, 5rds on the right side of the barricade,
5rds from the crossmember of the barricade, 5rds from the left side of the barricade. Your feet
must remain inside the Yoke.
After rifle is complete, then engage the close paper target with 9rd pistol, 3 rounds with the right
hand, 3 rounds freestyle, 3 rounds with the left hand. No bracing when shooting pistol.

Battle Description:
On the call of go, athletes will take their sled on the marked course. You will go all the way to the
flags by the oil derrick staying along the road. After you have crossed the line at the oil derrick,
athletes will make their way back to the start finish box, travelling along the same marked
course.

After the sled is back in the start/finish box, athletes will go to the firing line to complete their first
firing sequence.

After the firing sequence is complete, athletes will go back to their start finish box and pick up
their axel bar and carry it OH to the drop zone. (The athlete cannot move forward unless the bar
is overhead, no resting it on your head)
After the bar is OH carried into the drop zone, athletes will complete the second firing sequence.
After the FS is complete, athletes will OH carry the bar back to the start/finish box.
Athletes will set the bar down in the box, turn around, and pick it back up in a zercher carry.
(Athletes cannot go from OH directly into zercher. Bar must go to ground).
Athletes will zercher carry down to the drop zone to complete the final firing sequence.
After the final firing sequence, athletes will zercher carry back to the start finish box where time
is called.

Shooting Penalties:
10sec per miss
Work Penalties:
10 sec per 1/4 length not completed per implement
Last edited by PriestTheRunner on Mon May 03, 2021 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PriestTheRunner

Battle Example 4

Grab and Go
Load Out: 4x12rds pistol, 4x9rds rifle
Firing Sequence: Engage the close paper target with 12rds pistol, then engage the far paper
target with 9rds rifle.

Battle Description:
Athletes will be standing at their wheelbarrow with the required load out, on the call of go, athletes
will pick up their wheelbarrow and stay on the course. Athletes will go around the pavilion, follow the
road to the oil derrick and go through the line to make their way back on the course to your start box.
Once your wheelbarrow is back in your start/finish box, athletes will run down your lane towards the
firing line to complete the firing sequence.
Once the firing sequence is complete, athletes will run back up their lane and grab the Farmer Carry
Handles and take it down your lane to the drop zone, carrying them together. After the Farmer Carry
Handles are in the drop zone, athletes will complete the second firing sequence.
After the firing sequence is complete, athletes will carry the Farmer Carry Handles back to the
start/finish box.
After the FC is back in its original position, Athletes will pick up the Husafell Stone and carry it to the
drop zone. After the stone is in the drop zone, athletes will complete the third firing sequence.
After the third firing sequence is complete, athletes will pick up the Husafell and carry it back to the
start/finish box, setting it down inside the box.
Athletes will sprint back to the firing line for the final firing sequence.
After the final FS, athletes will sprint back to the start/finish box where time stops as you cross the
line.

Weights:
Elite Men: Husafell (5 gals), Farmer Carry (35+25+25 per collar), Wheelbarrow (2x45)
Elite Women: Husafell (empty), Farmer Carry (1x35 per collar), Wheelbarrow (1x45)
Masters/Inter: Husafell (empty), Farmer Carry (35+25 per collar), Wheelbarrow (1x45+1x25)

Shooting Penalties:
10 Sec per miss
Work Penalties:
10 sec per 'A length not complete per implement
Last edited by PriestTheRunner on Mon May 03, 2021 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PriestTheRunner

Battle Example 5

Ladder of Sand
Load Out: 3x12rd Rifle, 3x9rd Pistol
Firing Sequence: Engage the far target with 12rd rifle, then engage the close target with 9rd
pistol.

Battle Description:
On the call of go, athletes will pick up the sandbag 1 and carry it to the yoke and drop it on the
ground before performing 6 sandbag over yoke before carrying it to the drop zone at the firing line.
Athletes will then complete the firing sequence.
After the FS is complete, athletes will pick up sandbag 1 and carry it back to the yoke, drop it, and
perform 6 more sand bag over yoke, going under the yoke each rep.
Athletes will then carry the sandbag back to the start/finish box, drop it, and pick up sandbag 2.
Carry sandbag 2 to the yoke, and drop it before performing 4 sandbag over yokes.
After all 4 are complete, athletes will carry the sandbag to the drop zone to complete the firing
sequence.

After the FS is complete, athletes will pick up the sandbag, carry it back to the yoke, drop it, and
perform 4 more sandbag over yoke before carrying it back to the S/F box.
After sandbag 2 is back in the start/finish box, athletes will pick up sandbag 3, and carry it to the
yoke, drop it, and perform 2 sandbag over yoke. After both sand bag over yoke, athletes will pick up
the sandbag and carry it to the drop zone to complete the final firing sequence.
After the final firing sequence athletes will take sandbag 3 back to the yoke, drop it, and perform 2
more sandbag over yoke. After both sandbag over yoke athletes will pick up and carry the sandbag
back to the start/finish box.
Time stops when both the athlete and the bag are across the line.
Note: A complete sandbag over yoke is picking it up off the ground, and putting it over the cross
member, and it falling on the other side of the yoke.
Shooting Penalties:
10sec per miss

Weights:
Elite: 100-150-200
Elite Women: 50-75-100
Masters 40+: 75-100-150
Masters 50+/lnter: 50-75-100
Women Inter: 35-50-75
Work Penalties:
10sec per bag not over bar
10 sec per 1/2 length of the field
Last edited by PriestTheRunner on Mon May 03, 2021 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Competitive Shooting”