WACO TACTICAL FITNESS BIATHLON OCT 12

IDPA, IPSC, ICORE & More!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 9

WACO TACTICAL FITNESS BIATHLON OCT 12

Post by Paladin »

I'm thinking about signing up for WACO TACTICAL FITNESS BIATHLON in October. From what I understand the people that started this are Appleseed instructors, so the shooting won't be easy.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

uthornsfan
Posts in topic: 1

Re: WACO TACTICAL FITNESS BIATHLON OCT 12

Post by uthornsfan »

My wife would be into this if it weren't quite so serious.

Does anyone know of something similar but more low key?

ShepherdTX
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ShepherdTX »

I did it for the first time in Feb this year. It is very challenging. I DNF'd every single stage, but had a good time and learned a lot. Over the course, I did manage to get father in to each stage before I ran out of time so there was some improvement along the way even during the race.

Part of the learning experience was equipment selection. Only had a red dot with no magnification on my rifle, and every rifle stage was 100 yards or further, up to 500ish. It was like playing a video game in hard mode and then watching everyone else use an aimbot. Next time I'll have a scope.

Also much like in other sports, where the motto is "nothing new on race day" that should apply here.
I totally ignored that and ran 300blk instead of my normal 223/556 that I had been training on.

The terrain is also a challenge. parts of it were very slippery and unstable so I had to balance speed with caution in some places.

I haven't yet signed up for Oct, but probably should before all the spots get taken. :)

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

uthornsfan wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:17 pm My wife would be into this if it weren't quite so serious.

Does anyone know of something similar but more low key?
If ya'll just want to do riflery Project Appleseed has a ton of events. I'm doing the Long Distance event again in October. We did KD shooting out to 500 yards last year.

There are tons of non-shooting Obstacle course races in Texas. I've done Spartan and Tough Mudder. Good stuff.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

ShepherdTX wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:35 pm Part of the learning experience was equipment selection. Only had a red dot with no magnification on my rifle, and every rifle stage was 100 yards or further, up to 500ish. It was like playing a video game in hard mode and then watching everyone else use an aimbot. Next time I'll have a scope.
The pros use ACOG's for that kind of shooting. I got a recommendation for the ACSS ACOG, and it is awesome!

ammoboy2
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ammoboy2 »

There were only 13 slots left in the Heat #4 as of early this morning.

The Waco TF does have the Sprint on Sunday which is a reduced distance and lower round count. The sprint is a good way be introduced to the Biathlon and give you a real good measure of what equipment you would like to use or need for the longer event.

A scope is not required, I know of competitors who have used Red dots effectively and open sights as well. You need exposure to long ranges because I have seen 20 mph cross winds during the event and the longer range targets get tricky then. You need to know hold overs and range estimation.

ShepherdTX
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ShepherdTX »

ammoboy2 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:19 pm A scope is not required, I know of competitors who have used Red dots effectively and open sights as well. You need exposure to long ranges because I have seen 20 mph cross winds during the event and the longer range targets get tricky then. You need to know hold overs and range estimation.
maybe you younger types can get by with red dots. My old eyes couldn't even see the longer targets :lol:

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

I got a ticket for Heat 4. Looks like I'm jogging in the afternoon! Hope it's not hot. I guess I'll get plenty of practice with the heat over the summer. I'm doing a 3 mile run tomorrow. :cool:

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

You kids! :lol:

I had to do a "cleanse" for a colonoscopy last week, and I can’t even run to the bathroom. :mrgreen:

A friend of mine has been trying for three years now to talk me into going to the Pawnee Run and Gun in Oklahoma. It looks like a lot of fun, but ever since I blew up my ankle two years ago (this month), I find it difficult to walk long distances, let alone run, and that’s NOT carrying a rifle, a pistol, a camelback, and sufficient magazine reloads for both weapons to complete all 6 (5K) or 8 (10K) stages of that particular event.

Oh to be young again.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

ammoboy2

Post by ammoboy2 »

I am over 60

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

ammoboy2 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:06 pm I am over 60
And undoubtedly in better shape and thinner than I am. But do enjoy the experience. Maybe I’ll be able to do it some day, but that day isn’t today.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

equin
Posts in topic: 5

Post by equin »

I did it last October. Much harder than I thought it would be. It was very wet, soggy and muddy, which added to the difficulty. My AR got scratched up and still has mud imbedded in the buttstock. Although I trained by routinely jogging 7 miles with a 20 lb backpack, I was exhausted by mile 3. My shooting sucked, and the whole experience humbled me greatly as other competitors zipped past me with ease and shot their stages well within the allotted time. I DNFed almost all of them.

Despite the humiliating, muddy misery it brought me, I’d love to do it all over again! So yeah, I’m thinking of signing up for this Fall’s event.
Ed

PriestTheRunner
Posts in topic: 1

Post by PriestTheRunner »

Thanks for the heads up on this... Unfortunately I'm headed out of town that Saturday. :/

Anybody know of similar events coming up? This does look like a blast.

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

PriestTheRunner wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:58 pm Thanks for the heads up on this... Unfortunately I'm headed out of town that Saturday. :/

Anybody know of similar events coming up? This does look like a blast.
Texas Run and Gun events

ammoboy2

Post by ammoboy2 »

The Waco Event is sold out it just the wait list now. This event sells out very fast, like within 2 to 4 days after it is open. Just a heads up if you are interested for the spring 2020 event.

Return to “Competitive Shooting”