10 Year License

Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
beaucoup ammo
Posts in topic: 5

Re: 10 Year License

Post by beaucoup ammo »

I don't like the idea of having to fork over $140 every 5 years for my Texas CHL. Taking the long, protracted class as well adds to my aggravation. I can see a background check after 5 years..that's fine, but I'd prefer laying out a smaller chuck of change. A computerized NICS review shouldn't take any time at all. I object to having the 12 hour class and the $140 out of my wallet every 5 years. As it is I might have to take out a 2nd mortgage to fill up my Jeep with gas!

If Texas were to adopt Indiana's policy I wouldn't mind at all!:O)
You can never have too much ammo or too much garlic!

chewy555
Posts in topic: 1

Post by chewy555 »

beaucoup ammo wrote:I don't like the idea of having to fork over $140 every 5 years for my Texas CHL. Taking the long, protracted class as well adds to my aggravation. I can see a background check after 5 years..that's fine, but I'd prefer laying out a smaller chuck of change. A computerized NICS review shouldn't take any time at all. I object to having the 12 hour class and the $140 out of my wallet every 5 years. As it is I might have to take out a 2nd mortgage to fill up my Jeep with gas!

You dont have to pay $140 every 5 years for your CHL. The $140 is only for the first time. After that it is $70. And the class is shorter after the first time as well.
H&K USP 45
Taurus Tracker .357
Taurus 1911

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

chewy555 wrote:
beaucoup ammo wrote:I don't like the idea of having to fork over $140 every 5 years for my Texas CHL. Taking the long, protracted class as well adds to my aggravation. I can see a background check after 5 years..that's fine, but I'd prefer laying out a smaller chuck of change. A computerized NICS review shouldn't take any time at all. I object to having the 12 hour class and the $140 out of my wallet every 5 years. As it is I might have to take out a 2nd mortgage to fill up my Jeep with gas!

You dont have to pay $140 every 5 years for your CHL. The $140 is only for the first time. After that it is $70. And the class is shorter after the first time as well.
and 0nly $35 if your a veteran or over 60 $17.50 if both.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Topic author
beaucoup ammo

Post by beaucoup ammo »

Thanks for the qik reply, guys! Now it doesn't seem so bad. I'm grateful Texas finally saw the light 10 - 12 years back, however we could and should have a more unrestricted approach to, what I consider anyway, to be a right rather that a privilege.

A lot of 1st time applicants find it difficult to come up with $140 for a CHL. I'm 62, did reasonably well over the years..not missing any meals, but I can remember when $140 for a CHL would be out of the question when you're faced with 3 young kids, feeding them and putting gas in your vehicle.

Guess I got out of bed on the wrong side this morning!

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 2

Post by seamusTX »

There's also a discount for indigence, which is defined as making less than the poverty level, about $17,000 a year for a family of five.

- Jim

ElGato

Post by ElGato »

Liberty wrote:
chewy555 wrote:

and 0nly $35 if your a veteran or over 60 $17.50 if both.
They won't give both.
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

Topic author
beaucoup ammo

Post by beaucoup ammo »

Thanks, ElGato!

Appreciate the time and info...Johnny (beaucoup ammo)

jpierce30

Post by jpierce30 »

I don't mind taking the class every 5 years. I may be a hassle, but the enormous responsibility of carrying a weapon warrants the extra effort. I like to do it if nothing else to be well informed of the laws. In five years the legislature can change a lot.

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

jpierce30 wrote:I don't mind taking the class every 5 years. I may be a hassle, but the enormous responsibility of carrying a weapon warrants the extra effort. I like to do it if nothing else to be well informed of the laws. In five years the legislature can change a lot.
What you say is true, but I've learned a lot more here than I learned in any of my four classes or all four classes combined, for that matter.

So I don't regret one bit that the next class I have to take will be in 2016.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

Mike1951 wrote:What you say is true, but I've learned a lot more here than I learned in any of my four classes or all four classes combined, for that matter.
Anyone whose only knowledge of the law and CHL matters comes from a class every 4 years (or 5, or 10), is woefully undereducated.

I would never say that such people shouldn't carry (I'm a big fan of the Alaska/Vermont system, aka "the Second Amendment"), but everyone who carries owes it to themself to become better educated about the law and ways of avoiding deadly conflict.

Return to “2007 Texas Legislative Session”