HB 2112

Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
fizteach
Posts in topic: 4

HB 2112

Post by fizteach »

The way I read the latest on this, we can still carry as long as we do nothing illegal if this passes? The TSTA (Texas State Teacher's Association) is claiming a victory on this.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 5

Re: HB 2112

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

fizteach wrote:The way I read the latest on this, we can still carry as long as we do nothing illegal if this passes? The TSTA (Texas State Teacher's Association) is claiming a victory on this.
That's correct. HB2112 addresses only that which was already illegal. The difference is that the offense is always a felony, if it occurs on school property or on a school bus. The committee substitute for HB2112 isn't remotely close to the as-filed version.

What does TSTA seem to think the bill does? If they are reading only the as-filed version, then they are going to be VERY disappointed.

Chas.

Topic author
fizteach

HB 2112

Post by fizteach »

The following was posted in their legislative update, as well as being posted on the web. Needless to say, I was ready to quit teaching when I read it.

I have heard lately that some districts are posting 30.06 signs. I think I read that here somewhere.

"Criminal Justice Committee Passes TSTA Supported Bills
Last night the Senate Committee on Criminal Justice passed HB 2112 by Rep. Patrick which bans handguns and other weapons from school parking lots."

Topic author
fizteach

Post by fizteach »

fizteach wrote:The following was posted in their legislative update, as well as being posted on the web. Needless to say, I was ready to quit teaching when I read it.

I have heard lately that some districts are posting 30.06 signs IN THEIR PARKING LOTS. I think I read that here somewhere.

Last night the Senate Committee on Criminal Justice passed HB 2112 by Rep. Patrick which bans handguns and other weapons from school parking lots."

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

fizteach wrote:The following was posted in their legislative update, as well as being posted on the web. Needless to say, I was ready to quit teaching when I read it.

I have heard lately that some districts are posting 30.06 signs. I think I read that here somewhere.

Boy, are they going to be very disappointed! I guess they didn't read the committee substitute. As for 30.06 signs, they mean nothing, unless the school is a private school.

Where is the website?

Chas.

Topic author
fizteach

HB 2112

Post by fizteach »

http://www.tsta.org/news/current/

under news and information --center column

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

fizteach wrote:http://www.tsta.org/news/current/

Thanks for the link. This was apparently printed after the public hearing in committee, but their information was wrong even at that stage. The committee substitute was adopted at that very hearing, so someone clearly fell asleep at the switch.

I hope they get it straight before they start telling their members that guns are now illegal in parking lots.

Chas.

gmckinl
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gmckinl »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
fizteach wrote:I have heard lately that some districts are posting 30.06 signs. I think I read that here somewhere.
As for 30.06 signs, they mean nothing, unless the school is a private school.
Chas.
I think you heard about the schools from me. Plano is posting them at the entrances to the parking lots. They are 3/4" high letters not that it matters, for multiple reasons - as Charles pointed out.
NRA Life Member

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson

AggieMM

Post by AggieMM »

Ok, I'm confused, what does this bill do?

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/80 ... 02112E.pdf

It just prevents the use/exhibition of firearms on school property? But for CHLer's, we can still carry in the parking lot?????

I also noticed that it is on the "Placed on local & uncontested calendar / 05/23/2007" agenda:

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/billlookup ... ill=HB2112

Ryan

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I hope they get it straight before they start telling their members that guns are now illegal in parking lots.
What??? And miss all the fun??? Party Pooper!!!
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

fizteach wrote:http://www.tsta.org/news/current/

Wow. My union supports the right of our members to carry personal firearms to work and store them in the parking lot, and actively negotiates and lobbies for that right.. Must be rough to be "represented" by a group working against you like that! :???:

Kevin

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

AggieMM wrote:Ok, I'm confused, what does this bill do?

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/80 ... 02112E.pdf

It just prevents the use/exhibition of firearms on school property? But for CHLer's, we can still carry in the parking lot?????

I also noticed that it is on the "Placed on local & uncontested calendar / 05/23/2007" agenda:

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/billlookup ... ill=HB2112

Ryan
Yes, nothing changes for CHLs. What is illegal under HB2112 has always been illegal. The as-filed version of the Bill would have made it illegal to have guns in school parking lots, but Rep. Patrick worked with us to make major, no drastic, changes.

Chas.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

What HB2112 really does

It’s probably not necessary for me to post this for our members, but we may well have some teachers and administrators reading TexasCHLforum who are not as familiar with HB2112 as are our folks. In view of the inaccurate information presented by TSTA, I want to clarify what HB2112 does and more importantly, what it does not do.

HB2112 makes it a felony to exhibit a firearm on school property or on a school bus, in a manner intended to cause alarm or injury to a person or damage to school property. This is all it does and such acts have always been illegal. HB2112 does not impact a CHLs authority to carry on school property. TSTA must not have realized the committee substitute was an entirely new bill.

Chas.

Return to “2007 Texas Legislative Session”