HB233 and What It Means to Veterans

Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
westernamerican

HB233 and What It Means to Veterans

Post by westernamerican »

What does HB233 really do for veterans like myself who were discharged honorably in the 1950s? :grin:

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Mike1951 »

Reduce your CHL fee by 50%.

(c) Notwithstanding any other provision of this subchapter, the department shall reduce by 50 percent any fee required for the issuance of an original, duplicate, modified, or renewed license under this subchapter if the applicant for the license is a veteran who, more than 365 days preceding the date of the application, was honorably discharged from the branch of the service in which the person served.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 6

Re: HB233 and What It Means to Veterans

Post by stevie_d_64 »

westernamerican wrote:What does HB233 really do for veterans like myself who were discharged honorably in the 1950s? :grin:
I heard it means you'll pay 50% of the initial license cost and 50% of the renewal 4-5 years down the road...

I do not know if the cost of replacement of a lost or stolen CHL, or change of address gets the 50% or not...

How they confirm that information on you, if you have to submit a certified copy of your DD-214, or some other form of military proof of discharge, I do not know either...

All I do know is the bills intent was to cut the veterans some slack on the fees to the state for the license...

After September 1st, we'll start getting some folks definitive first-hand experience in regards to this one...
Last edited by stevie_d_64 on Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Ahhh, what Mike said... ;-)

But I'm still wondering how we present the evidence to them in Austin...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

ELB

Post by ELB »

Way cool! I had not noticed that this was even in the legislative mill. I remember it was looked at a couple sessions ago, but didn't make it basically because of its financial impact.

Now, since I am retired military and am in the retired reserve, subject to call up, I wonder if I can argue for complete fee waiver versus 50%. Heh. I won't kick too hard if I still have to pay the 50% tho. :grin:

elb

TX Rancher

Post by TX Rancher »

Mike1951 wrote:...was honorably discharged from the branch of the service in which the person served.[/i]
I wonder how many folks were honorable discharged from a branch they didn't serve in :grin:

Roy D. Mercer

Post by Roy D. Mercer »

I think they should pay you guys to get the license!
How big a boy are you!

.45 is the only way to fly!

Topic author
pbandjelly

Re: HB233 and What It Means to Veterans

Post by pbandjelly »

westernamerican wrote:What does HB233 really do for veterans like myself who were discharged honorably in the 1950s? :grin:
It makes yer text ALL BLUE!!!
:razz:

I'm glad this bill passed.

shootthesheet
Posts in topic: 2

GOOD

Post by shootthesheet »

When will we find out what to do to take advantage of this? I missed this one too. :oops:

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

I emailed DPS to find that out. Here is the pertinent part of their response:

"For active military we will need a copy of their military ID and a copy of a current LES. For Retired/Honorable discharge a copy of their DD214"
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

bauerdj

Post by bauerdj »

At my renewal time I will qualify under the age criteria for 1/2 price as well; does this cut my fee to 1/4 of normal :lol: ? I notice the new law states "notwithstanding any other provision....."

Dave B.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

bauerdj wrote:At my renewal time I will qualify under the age criteria for 1/2 price as well; does this cut my fee to 1/4 of normal :lol: ? I notice the new law states "notwithstanding any other provision....."

Dave B.
Gunning for that $17.50 renewal huh???

You got my vote! ;-)
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

barres

Post by barres »

I am not nor have I ever been in the military, but doesn't your discharge status come up as part of your background check? Or am I completely mistaken?
Remember, in a life-or-death situation, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Barre

AEA
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AEA »

barres wrote:I am not nor have I ever been in the military, but doesn't your discharge status come up as part of your background check? Or am I completely mistaken?
VERY GOOD question!

When I joined the Navy in 1965, I was issued a Service Number.
When I rejoined in 1974 I was again issued a Service Number, but at that time it was your SSN!

So, I suspect that when your SSN is run by any qualifying Agency, your discharge status should be available to them.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

AEA wrote:
barres wrote:I am not nor have I ever been in the military, but doesn't your discharge status come up as part of your background check? Or am I completely mistaken?
VERY GOOD question!

When I joined the Navy in 1965, I was issued a Service Number.
When I rejoined in 1974 I was again issued a Service Number, but at that time it was your SSN!

So, I suspect that when your SSN is run by any qualifying Agency, your discharge status should be available to them.
You are exacty right!

But the discharge status/verification on the DD-214 is a nice bookend for them to have in your file I suppose...

I'm getting ready to see if I should just go ahead and send them a copy of mine, and get it out of the way, before I forget... :lol:
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

Return to “2007 Texas Legislative Session”