CHL and TABC

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
dds115
Posts in topic: 1

CHL and TABC

Post by dds115 »

I went to the Texas Ranger's baseball game (obviously unarmed) on Wednesday and since I had just gotten my plastic that day, I wanted to try to buy beer with my CHL instead of DL. (I'm 24, so I still get carded regularly) The vender accepted my CHL, but said he wasn't supposed to as it isn't accepted by the TABC. How can that be? It is a state issued identification card with my name, picture, and DOB. Anyone else had the same experience?

carlson1

Re: CHL and TABC

Post by carlson1 »

I never use my CHL as an ID. I personally do not want anyone to know I have one.

My son went to that game and carried. He is a LEO. They never even checked him at the gate. Doesn't sound to me as if the Ballpark has very good security.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

A CHL is a valid form of ID per the TABC.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

Keith B wrote:A CHL is a valid form of ID per the TABC.

Here is the length if you would like to read for yourself (for the OP):

http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/enforcement ... cation.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Keep in mind though that the TABC cannot dictate what a private business accept as ID.
What's acceptable in any establishment is a matter of that establishment's private business policies.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

KRM45

Post by KRM45 »

carlson1 wrote:I never use my CHL as an ID. I personally do not want anyone to know I have one.

My son went to that game and carried. He is a LEO. They never even checked him at the gate. Doesn't sound to me as if the Ballpark has very good security.
I went to a Rangers game last year with my 1911 and badge on my belt at 2-3:00 and an extra mag at 10:00. The guy wanded me and never even noticed anything... I agree with your security assessment.

barstoolguru

Post by barstoolguru »

Shouldn’t matter, it is a state issued ID document just like a green card or state ID (the kind you get at the DPS office). When my DL was out of date and no one wanted to take it as ID I used my CHL lic and it was expectable. What was good about it is was every time I used it people wanted to know all about how to get one and it opened up a lot of dialog and might have done some good.
Some parents say it is toy guns that make boys warlike. But give a boy a rubber duck and he will seize its neck like the butt of a pistol and shout "Bang!"......George Will

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

barstoolguru wrote:Shouldn’t matter, it is a state issued ID document just like a green card or state ID (the kind you get at the DPS office). When my DL was out of date and no one wanted to take it as ID I used my CHL lic and it was expectable. What was good about it is was every time I used it people wanted to know all about how to get one and it opened up a lot of dialog and might have done some good.
And there is the other side of the coin. I was dragged to Grapevine Mills Mall (posted 30.06) and to get a wheel chair for my wife, I had to leave my DL with Guest Services. When we went to buy something at the little girl's store (the reason for the trip), they wanted a photo ID with my credit card. I showed the my CHL. There was a lot of discussion among the employees and finally they agreed to accept it. I half expected mall security or the Grapevine police or both to meet me before we got back to the car. Fortunately, it didn't happen.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

fickman

Post by fickman »

chasfm11 wrote:
barstoolguru wrote:Shouldn’t matter, it is a state issued ID document just like a green card or state ID (the kind you get at the DPS office). When my DL was out of date and no one wanted to take it as ID I used my CHL lic and it was expectable. What was good about it is was every time I used it people wanted to know all about how to get one and it opened up a lot of dialog and might have done some good.
And there is the other side of the coin. I was dragged to Grapevine Mills Mall (posted 30.06) and to get a wheel chair for my wife, I had to leave my DL with Guest Services. When we went to buy something at the little girl's store (the reason for the trip), they wanted a photo ID with my credit card. I showed the my CHL. There was a lot of discussion among the employees and finally they agreed to accept it. I half expected mall security or the Grapevine police or both to meet me before we got back to the car. Fortunately, it didn't happen.
I only enter that mall through the anchor stores and have never been legally notified that they don't allow concealed carry. :coolgleamA:

YMMV.
Native Texian

nguyen925

Post by nguyen925 »

Yep, like everyone else said. It's a Texas issued license so it should be valid with TABC.

TXLrrp

Post by TXLrrp »

I work at a stadium in Houston and the company that provides food and beverage service is really the gatekeeper here on what they will accept as ID. They are the ones liable if the sale is made to a minor and thus carry the responsibility of safeguarding against that. Having worked for a dozen or so companies that sell liquor I can tell you that the standards vary greatly and then there is the aspect of is the worker following the policy correctly or not. In most stadiums there are hundreds of locations to purchase beer and monitoring all of them all the time is basically impossible. Add to that that the workforce is usually temporary or partime and it becomes a daily battle to enforce whatever the policy is at that specific location.

Return to “New to CHL?”