Signs for the CHLer

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

C-dub
Posts in topic: 13

Re: Signs for the CHLer

Post by C-dub »

I have followed this since I've been on the forum and read much of the three or so threads on this and still don't know how they knew about her gun in the first place. Does anyone remember?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

speedsix
Posts in topic: 10

Post by speedsix »

...I don't find it in any of the threads...likely someone saw her put it in her purse, or she blabbed about it...had it been concealed and private info, this likely wouldn't have ever happened...it may have been mentioned in the video that the OP quoted from...but I can't pull that up...Startlegram and Dallas Morning News searches turned up nothing...even the police report may not have it spelled out...

snatchel
Posts in topic: 1

Post by snatchel »

Saw this beauty when I went into Immaculate Heart Parish here in Big Spring to see when their mass is on Sat/Sun while the wife and here are visiting gramps..... Suffice to say I will be walking right by it. This is Big Spring, i carry EVERYWHERE in this run down town.
No More Signature

Lubttu

Post by Lubttu »

I have been to 2 sporting events lately. One pro and one college. Both had posted the blue TABC sign. It is interesting because we are not allowed to carry at either place because of the sporting event and the college game is in a college building. Of course walking to myntruckmafter the games is when I feel I need it more.
Taurus PT911 Homemade OWB Holster ( want to add clips to use IWB)
Ruger LCP 380 Remora (Main EDC)
Hipoint 9 Truck gun!

apostate
Posts in topic: 4

Post by apostate »

Lubttu wrote:I have been to 2 sporting events lately. One pro and one college. Both had posted the blue TABC sign. It is interesting because we are not allowed to carry at either place because of the sporting event and the college game is in a college building. Of course walking to myntruckmafter the games is when I feel I need it more.
The blue sign is irrelevant to CHL. Therefore, whether or not CHL can carry in a location (school, etc.) is irrelevant to the requirement to post the blue sign at a TABC licensed business at that location.

JKTex
Posts in topic: 21

Post by JKTex »

apostate wrote:
Lubttu wrote:I have been to 2 sporting events lately. One pro and one college. Both had posted the blue TABC sign. It is interesting because we are not allowed to carry at either place because of the sporting event and the college game is in a college building. Of course walking to myntruckmafter the games is when I feel I need it more.
The blue sign is irrelevant to CHL. Therefore, whether or not CHL can carry in a location (school, etc.) is irrelevant to the requirement to post the blue sign at a TABC licensed business at that location.
True that. It's one of those silly things that I believe tells someone who's carrying illegally that the crime that is a misdemeanor, becomes a felony once they step inside.

Stephenrossr6

Post by Stephenrossr6 »

This is great! Iv gone back to my veh on some of these signs because I just wasn't sure but now I know! :clapping: Thanks!

XnTx

Post by XnTx »

46.03 sign posted at Carrollton Municipal Courthouse front door that I noticed when I paid the wife's ticket. The courtroom and ticket collections windows are on the same floor and only about 50 feet apart. There was a scanner for the courtroom side, but not the collections side. There may be some hairsplitting about applicable or not, but I'm ok with the intent. I locked mine in the car before seeing the sign anyway. This was my first CHL sign I ran across that I believed should be obeyed. I'm still looking for my first 30.06.
Attachments
46.03 sign.JPG
CHL - 9/22/11
NRA Life Member - 12/12/15
XDS .45 or P380

JKTex

Post by JKTex »

XnTx wrote:46.03 sign posted at Carrollton Municipal Courthouse front door that I noticed when I paid the wife's ticket. The courtroom and ticket collections windows are on the same floor and only about 50 feet apart. There was a scanner for the courtroom side, but not the collections side. There may be some hairsplitting about applicable or not, but I'm ok with the intent. I locked mine in the car before seeing the sign anyway. This was my first CHL sign I ran across that I believed should be obeyed. I'm still looking for my first 30.06.
No sign is not needed other than being a friendly reminder (poorly worded), and there's no hair splitting. The court being in the same building keeps CHL holders out, period, as the sign finally says. They can not restrict you from a Carrollton City building, unless as in this case, there is a court in the same building. I think it's rare to see anything like that posted too.

katmandu
Posts in topic: 5

Post by katmandu »

Here's a photo I took Dec. 12, 2011 of the front of a convenience store near where I live. (Texoma area)

They sell beer & wine there. They've since removed this sign, and now have no sign at all, but they do continue to sell beer & wine :smilelol5:

Not sure how old that sign was, but it doesn't seem to be compliant with anything now!

JKTex

Post by JKTex »

katmandu wrote:Here's a photo I took Dec. 12, 2011 of the front of a convenience store near where I live. (Texoma area)

They sell beer & wine there. They've since removed this sign, and now have no sign at all, but they do continue to sell beer & wine :smilelol5:

Not sure how old that sign was, but it doesn't seem to be compliant with anything now!
There's nothing odd about that, it's the normal sign they're required by TABC to post if they sell booze not for on premise consumption. It's just telling folks that are carrying illegally, that they go from misdemeanor to felony when they step in the door.

Whether they still have it posted doesn't mean much, it's still a felony for those illegally carrying.

apostate
Posts in topic: 4

Post by apostate »

I believe that hasn't been the normal weapons warning sign since some time in the previous century. I'm fairly certain the current sign mentions "unlicensed possession" specifically.

katmandu
Posts in topic: 5

Post by katmandu »

I was going by question 10 on this page at TABC:

http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/faq/general.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
10. I have seen two types of signs posted in retail establishments regarding concealed weapons. What is the difference between the two?

All alcoholic beverage retailers must post one of two firearms signs.

The 51% sign is required to be posted on the premises of establishments where the possession of any concealed weapon is illegal. These are establishments that are licensed to sell alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption whose alcohol sales constitutes more than half of their gross receipts. These signs have 51% in large red letters superimposed over the warning which notes that possession of a concealed weapon on the premises is a felony.

Establishments licensed to sell alcoholic beverages for off-premise consumption or establishments licensed to sell for on-premises consumption whose alcohol sales are 50% or less of total gross receipts are required to post a sign that warns that the unlicensed possession of a concealed weapon is a felony. The holder of a concealed handgun license may lawfully possess a concealed handgun on these premises.
That sign doesn't state anything about "unlicensed possession" or "concealed weapon", so didn't seem compliant to me.

Also seems they are in violation for not having anything posted at all as required by TABC. (though a different issue of course)

JKTex

Post by JKTex »

katmandu wrote:I was going by question 10 on this page at TABC:

http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/faq/general.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
10. I have seen two types of signs posted in retail establishments regarding concealed weapons. What is the difference between the two?

All alcoholic beverage retailers must post one of two firearms signs.

The 51% sign is required to be posted on the premises of establishments where the possession of any concealed weapon is illegal. These are establishments that are licensed to sell alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption whose alcohol sales constitutes more than half of their gross receipts. These signs have 51% in large red letters superimposed over the warning which notes that possession of a concealed weapon on the premises is a felony.

Establishments licensed to sell alcoholic beverages for off-premise consumption or establishments licensed to sell for on-premises consumption whose alcohol sales are 50% or less of total gross receipts are required to post a sign that warns that the unlicensed possession of a concealed weapon is a felony. The holder of a concealed handgun license may lawfully possess a concealed handgun on these premises.
That sign doesn't state anything about "unlicensed possession" or "concealed weapon", so didn't seem compliant to me.

Also seems they are in violation for not having anything posted at all as required by TABC. (though a different issue of course)
I didn't look close at the sign to see that it was the old one, but I didn't because it doesn't matter as it has nothing to do with Texas CHL holders. It's just TABC sign regulations that pertain to illegal carry of weapons.

S&Wgrl

Post by S&Wgrl »

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I've been lurking for a few weeks though. Kudos for an awesome site.
I haven't gotten my CHL yet. I'm taking the class this weekend. Anyway this sign is posted where I work. It has the gun buster sign and says: Firearms are prohibited in this building. LAW (V.C.S ART 4413 29ee) I'm assuming that it's not considered legal notice. My company has a no firearms policy unless you have proper consent. I plan to ask for that as soon as I get my license. So what say ye? Legal notice or not? Thanks!
2/17/12 Online CHL application
5/21/12 Plastic!

Return to “New to CHL?”