Signs for the CHLer

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Keith B
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Signs for the CHLer

Post by Keith B »

infidex wrote:So our local Carmike movie theather has put up a sign, getting lots of outrage by the locals on facebook due to the shooting in CO happening at a theater that did not allow concealed carry. Some folks taking business elsewhere to one of the other theaters in town, while others are going to just keep carrying since sign doesn't meet the requirements formally. There is also a sign saying that your subject to being searched as well in the theater, mostly due to recording devices, but that is what makes people a bit nervous about carrying.

[ Image ]
What doesn't meet requirements? Looks valid unless the letters are less than 1"
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

infidex
Posts in topic: 2

Post by infidex »

Keith B wrote:
infidex wrote:So our local Carmike movie theather has put up a sign, getting lots of outrage by the locals on facebook due to the shooting in CO happening at a theater that did not allow concealed carry. Some folks taking business elsewhere to one of the other theaters in town, while others are going to just keep carrying since sign doesn't meet the requirements formally. There is also a sign saying that your subject to being searched as well in the theater, mostly due to recording devices, but that is what makes people a bit nervous about carrying.

[ Image ]
What doesn't meet requirements? Looks valid unless the letters are less than 1"
Letters much smaller than 1 inch, others also stated that it's not by all entrances and it's further than 10 feet from an entrance (I'm no expert, so don't know that there is any validity in that ruling).

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

infidex wrote:
Keith B wrote:What doesn't meet requirements? Looks valid unless the letters are less than 1"
Letters much smaller than 1 inch, others also stated that it's not by all entrances and it's further than 10 feet from an entrance (I'm no expert, so don't know that there is any validity in that ruling).
It only has to be conspicuously displayed, and does not require to be by every entrance. If they have one conspicuously displayed on the property, then it meets that requirement. As for the 1" letters, if they are close you may have a hard time beating that one in court. Even if you do, it looks close enough you may take a ride and will have to spend money to beat it.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

JaxTex
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JaxTex »

From the greenest pea on this forum (just registered today ... my thanks to the OP. My instructor did a great job explaining signs. However, after an 84 day wait for my plastic, it is really nice to have this reference. :tiphat:
JaxTex

RottenApple
Posts in topic: 5

Post by RottenApple »

Keith B wrote:It only has to be conspicuously displayed, and does not require to be by every entrance. If they have one conspicuously displayed on the property, then it meets that requirement. As for the 1" letters, if they are close you may have a hard time beating that one in court. Even if you do, it looks close enough you may take a ride and will have to spend money to beat it.
:iagree: As for the letters, there's nothing in the pic to give scale so its tough to be sure, but those letters look awfully close to 1" to me.

Pecos

Post by Pecos »

Regardless of if a 30;06 or 51% sing is valid or correct size Im going to avoid them to be on the safe side. Not worht it to me to prove it. :tiphat:
Sig AR 516 + Vortex PST Scope

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

So why go to the movies?

I may have taken my kids to see Star Wars ~35 years ago. The time before that was Goldfinger in 1964, in Dallas.

Frankly I haven't heard of a movie worth seeing in decades, especially at the outrageous prices they ask these days. It'll be on TV if it is, and probably even if it isn't.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

phsdoc55

Post by phsdoc55 »

I took my wife to see The Heat today, was my first time carrying in public and the Cinemark in Lubbock had no signs. Carried in, through the movie, to lunch, to Payless, and finally for a trip to Wally World, never had any issue except that I kept thinking that I was going to be seen because I thought I was printing (never was). Any suggestions with this?

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

phsdoc55 wrote:I took my wife to see The Heat today, was my first time carrying in public and the Cinemark in Lubbock had no signs. Carried in, through the movie, to lunch, to Payless, and finally for a trip to Wally World, never had any issue except that I kept thinking that I was going to be seen because I thought I was printing (never was). Any suggestions with this?
Not sure what you are asking for suggestions on? If you are asking about not printing, that is something we can't answer without knowing a lot more info about body size, type, gun model, type of holster, where on body carried, type of clothes, ad infinitum. If you are asking about how to get over the fear of printing when you aren't, a lot of that will come with time the more you carry.
Keith

EdWeird

Post by EdWeird »

phsdoc55 wrote:... I kept thinking that I was going to be seen because I thought I was printing (never was). Any suggestions with this?
It's the first phase of concealed carry that we all have to deal with--the psychological aspect. You think everyone can see you are carrying a gun. You think everyone is watching you. You think you are printing or doing something wrong. Truth is, no one is paying attention to you. They are all caught up in their own little worlds and barely even notice you there. They will only pay attention to you long enough to keep from bumping into you--if they notice you for that long.

It's OK. As long as you keep your wits about you, you will be fine.

BTW.. the second phase is getting ove the fear that every LEO is watching and suspicious of you, too! ;-)

gringo pistolero
Posts in topic: 4

Post by gringo pistolero »

phsdoc55 wrote:I took my wife to see The Heat today, was my first time carrying in public and the Cinemark in Lubbock had no signs. Carried in, through the movie, to lunch, to Payless, and finally for a trip to Wally World, never had any issue except that I kept thinking that I was going to be seen because I thought I was printing (never was). Any suggestions with this?
Start a thread and post pics taken by your wife or someone else with you wearing your normal carry gear and clothing. Pics in your normal standing, sitting, etc. postures will give us something to work with.
I sincerely apologize to anybody I offended by suggesting the Second Amendment also applies to The People who don't work for the government.

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 3

Post by nightmare69 »

pbwalker wrote:
[ Image ]
YES YOU CAN CARRY - Old PC (30.05)
This is the police station in Longview. I had to go there today and pick up a police report for my company. This sign is still there. Now since this station has a courtroom inside can you still carry?
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Gunner4640

Post by Gunner4640 »

This is a great post :hurry: Very well done thank you. :iagree:
Dave & Wife NRA Members
Too many guns to list> :lol::

TrackinPat

Post by TrackinPat »

nightmare69 wrote:
pbwalker wrote:
[ Image ]
YES YOU CAN CARRY - Old PC (30.05)
This is the police station in Longview. I had to go there today and pick up a police report for my company. This sign is still there. Now since this station has a courtroom inside can you still carry?
I'd imagine no since the courtroom is attached. Tricky! :smash:

DJFriar

Post by DJFriar »

nick77 wrote:I took my chl course just last month. The instructor told us that a 'gunbuster' sign serves as effective notice only to the employees of a business that posts such a sign. In other words, If your place of employment posts a gunbuster sign, you can't carry there. (giving notice in the employee manual or during new employee orientation is also sufficient notice regarding prohibition of guns in the workplace). However, any customers who enter your place of employment can legally carry, assuming they don't have a 30.06 sign posted as well.
If the gunbuster sign is on the building that my employer leases, and there are other tenants in the building, then it should be all clear then, right? (Work has nothing in the employee manual and orientation was "here's your desk").
1/19/13 - CHL Class | 1/25/13 - Online App Submitted
8/23/13 - Fingerprint Appt. | 9/7/13 - Packet Mailed
9/11/13 - Delivery Confirmation of Packet | 9/27/13 - Manufacturing Pending

Return to “New to CHL?”