im semi new to chl and i want a micro 1911

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

rmr1923
Posts in topic: 1

Re: im semi new to chl and i want a micro 1911

Post by rmr1923 »

call around to some local shooting ranges, many of them will let you rent guns for testing purposes for a small fee ($12 at my local range)

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

You might have a better chance of someone helping you out if you let us know where you're located.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

heeler

Post by heeler »

Kahr has a PM45 that is about as micro as a 45acp can be and in the price range you quoted.
It weigh 19 ounces empty.
Not sure how controllable it would be in that caliber but it is what you are asking for.

gigag04
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gigag04 »

I strongly suggest you look at the Kahr over a 3" 1911 if you are inexperienced with shooting. 1911s are less than ideal for people starting out, and the smaller ones require even more finesse, skill, and luck. While the sights may have been off on your xd, it was more likely shooter error. Small 1911s look cool, but I think your G27 is a great gun.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

LarryH

Post by LarryH »

Practically speaking, if you didn't feel like you could hit anything with a full-sized 1911, what makes you think you'll do any better with a micro?

You'd be dealing with a shorter sight radius AND stronger perceived recoil.

b322da

Post by b322da »

LarryH wrote:Practically speaking, if you didn't feel like you could hit anything with a full-sized 1911, what makes you think you'll do any better with a micro?

You'd be dealing with a shorter sight radius AND stronger perceived recoil.
:tiphat: to Larry.

Larry's comments are very, very true, Glock27 -- a simple matter of physics. Neither my XD-40, Springfield microcompact .45 GI, nor my Colt Defender can hold a candle to my old Colt "real" M1911. While I have settled on the Defender as my primary carry weapon, shared perhaps 50/50 with my SP101 revolver, if I want dependable accuracy beyond say 30 feet or so, under stress and hurried conditions, I would opt for the M1911. (I pick this distance for being, in my case, I stress, what I assess as the critical self-defense range.

Elmo

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Don't do it! You'd have to change your name. lol
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Pacifist

Post by Pacifist »

glock27 wrote:after i have shot my glock 27 i am wanting to upgrade...
The more I shoot my G-27 (and I've shot it a lot), the more I'm glad it's my primary carry gun.
glock27 wrote:but i am only 170...
That's pretty advanced age to be carrying at all!

gigag04
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gigag04 »

G36 then. Or G30 for more rounds and more bulk.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

I think 1911s are beautiful, but wanted a 2011/double stack for capacity.

I was about to go Glock 36 for reliability and smaller grip, then the antis want crippled capacity so I thought, better make it a Glock 30 ...

Ended up with a Stainless XD45 with the Thumb safety and grip safety.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

glock27 wrote: Its been awhile since I posted I've also read the "beaver tail" is obnoxious on the micros with recoil?
It's not the beavertail safety you want to avoid, it's the "duckbill" (G.I.) safety that will bite you.

Derf

Post by Derf »

:iagree:

I have a Kimber Ultra CDP II that I plan to use for concealed carry. With +P defensive ammo (Corbon 185 grain +P JHP here) and an aluminum frame, control for follow-up rounds difficult if you are not prepared for it (the felt recoil). Additionally, as was said earlier, the shorter sight radius will make accuracy decrease for most. As far as 'bite' goes, yeah, it will take some time to build up a callous on the web of the hand, but once it has, you don't even notice it anymore....at least I don't.

The G27 is a great weapon. I previously owned one, but sold it to my brother for a concealed carry weapon before I left Oregon. He likes it a lot better than any of my 1911 frame weapons, and is a really big guy (6'5" 255).

So, I guess I'd ask you the following:
- Is there a specific reason, other than caliber, that you want to use something other than the G27? (the .40 S&W is a fine defensive round IMO)
- Are you having difficulty with concealing or accurately hitting the target with your G27?

I personally like the .45 ACP round, and ergonomically, the 1911 frame is very well suited to my hands. However, if there was another weapon, in another caliber that was even better suited to me based on reliability, ergonomics, and ability to conceal, I'd make the change in a heartbeat. BTW, I still own a Glock 23, and it was my primary off-duty carry weapon as a LEO back in the day. I plan to carry it in the winter when heavier clothing is the norm.
"Victory goes to the one who has no thought of himself."- Shinkage School of Swordsmanship

Return to “New to CHL?”