Buffalo Bore .38s meet the chrono:

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Deaf Smith
Posts in topic: 1

Buffalo Bore .38s meet the chrono:

Post by Deaf Smith »

Well the Buffalo Bore .38 Special +p 158gr SWCHPs came in. The HPs are big HPs. Starline brass cases. I'm not sure if there is sealant on the primers or bullets (I couldn't see any, but for CHL carry I sure hope there is.)

I went down to the local indoor gun range (way to cold outside!)

Room tempature was 80 or so.
Gun was Smith M640 (old model) chambered for .38 Spl.
Chrono was 15 feet from muzzle.
I fired 10 rounds over the chrono.

The process:

Fire one then extract all the rest and check for any bullet pull (non pulled) then re-insert and fire another, then repeat the process till all 5 fired. Ran two cylinder loads through the gun.

Chrono results went like this:

Yes it DOES give from a 2 inch snub 1000 FPS, if not more!

Accuracy was fine.

The target was 7 yards off and since my M640 is DA only I got groups around 3 inches or less.

No key holeing or any problem.

No missfires, hangfires, etc.. Just strait bangs for every shot.

Also no leading of the barrel (I'm sure the gas check has allot to do with that!)

Now the ammo is not cheep. It cost $20 bucks for 20 shots, but this is not target ammo. I have 44 rounds left (the range attendent like it so much he bought 6 rounds off me for his Smith 2 inch M10 he carries.)

Now I would not shoot these in a aluminum .38 (even if rated +p.) Why? I worry about bullet pull from the recoil (it DID kick a mite, but I could control it much better than any snub .357 load.)

This load replaces my Cor-Bon 158s. I chronoed them to and I was underwhelmed. Average of 700 fps. I was not happy with that. So the Cor-Bons are my aluminum snubby load now and Buffalo Bores are my M640 load of choice (we are talking 352 ft/lbs from a snub here!)

Add to the 127gr +p+ LEO ammo I have in my Glock 26 (1240 from the chrono!) and I am a happy camper.
Deaf

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

There was a discussion about Buffalo Bore 158 gr +P over at Stoppingpower the other day sounds like an awesome load for a .38 snub!
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

357sig

Post by 357sig »

I can't help but wonder, were the cor-bons also +P? I guess most or all of their loads are. That really surprised me,
"I live in peace, but I carry a piece anyway...."

Return to “New to CHL?”