Reason you decided to get CHL ?

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

ATX-Carry
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Reason you decided to get CHL ?

Post by ATX-Carry »

Thanks for the repost- I couldn't get the video to embed dispute checking several web sites and FAQs.

Yeah he was quite determined to get in. He wasn't able to get anything, but he did sufficiently damage my tv - so we got a bigger, nicer one.

The chill I got was when he got in. My son could have been there, if he was, he would have had hs head phones on and been completely vulnerable.

Since then we've bolstered the doors with metal strikers that run the full length of the door.

If you check the youtube channel for my posts, you'll see other cameras and a TV interview.
64 days from class to license
Sig SP2022 9mm / Ruger LC9 / MAK-90 (monster-trucked) / Tristar Raptor 12ga
Wife's: / Bersa Thunder CC -- Son's: Ruger 10/22 / Sig Mosquito .22

Lucky
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Lucky »

That was your house? I can see why that would encourage you to get a CHL. :shock:

ATX-Carry

Post by ATX-Carry »

Yep - also encouraged me to buy more cameras!

Today, there was a large brush fire 30 yards from my home due to idiots with firecrackers. I guess I'm gonna need fire suppression now, too! :mad5
64 days from class to license
Sig SP2022 9mm / Ruger LC9 / MAK-90 (monster-trucked) / Tristar Raptor 12ga
Wife's: / Bersa Thunder CC -- Son's: Ruger 10/22 / Sig Mosquito .22

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

Wow.. Amateur!
Clearly you've got cameras and a security system.
Time for a bigger dog... One with less tail wag!

Medic624

Post by Medic624 »

I got mine cause all the cool kids were doing it ... :coolgleamA:

Nah, after years of repeatedly responding to the worst neighborhoods for the gun and knife show... Then, seeing the results of those fine upstanding young men and women (who were on the cusp of turning their lives around) spilling over into the neighborhoods of those that were gainfully employed I decided that, although I would prefer to never be in the position to have to draw my weapon I also knew I didn't have to needlessly be a victim.

What happened was, while still living in WA State we lived on a nice quiet street and the house across the street came up for sale. The owner soon realized the market had dropped considerably and the value wasnt enough to make a profit so he opted to rent it instead of selling. Not too long after the for rent sign went up what appeared to be a nice young man (who was active duty Navy) moved in to my quiet neighborhood and rented the house and quickly moved in his whole family... his mom, wife, kids etc... Shortly after moving in my wife (who I affectionately call "Mrs. Kravits") informed me she had to repeatedly call the police because one of his "family" members would routinely lean out the window and as cars pulled up and, while he was waiting there minding his own business the passenger of these random vehicles would get out with head on a swivel and saunter up to the window to exchange some $$$ for what I told the wife I could only have imagined was cupcakes for the school bake sale. With my shift I was away a lot but they never seemed to sell anything while I was home :headscratch Trust me I watched... Intently :coolgleamA: Much to my amazement, a few weeks later while I was mowing the lawn and playing with the kids the local SWAT team pulled up and stacked 4 on the door and shut down the bake sale.

So, the wife and I went down and got our CHL a few more guns and a range membership. :woohoo
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam (AMDG)
It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible.
George Washington

phototex
Posts in topic: 2

Post by phototex »

I'm 70, and with arthritis in my hip, I definitely look like a viable target to some of those people out there who seem to need a full-time proctologist. I've been comfortable and well-qualified with handguns for several decades, so why not? I can, so I did and do....and shall.

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

Personally I consider the "more senior" in loose fitting shirts the most dangerous people out there. They're typically well armed and well insured...

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

cb1000rider wrote:Personally I consider the "more senior" in loose fitting shirts the most dangerous people out there. They're typically well armed and well insured...
Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Roy Odhner

Post by Roy Odhner »

Because I've been stalked three times by parolee or probationers that I've supervised. Nothing bad happened, but I decided that I wasn't gonna take any chances.

unsainted

Post by unsainted »

What finally convinced me was when a friend from out of town was visiting me, and we were downtown Fort Worth at the Water Gardens. As we were leaving and walking back to my car, a man approached us on a bicycle. He made a comment something like "I wish i had your camera" as I was carrying my Sony DSLR with me. He then proceeded into this diatribe about seeing demons underneath the overpass and asked me if i had seen them etc.. He said he never used to believe in them until he started smoking crack and meth.. At this point I was really wishing I had some kind of protection as I didn't know what this guy would do. Fortunately I simply said "I have to go now, good luck to you etc" and he took off in the other direction.

You just never know what you will come up against on a day to day basis.

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

unsainted wrote:He then proceeded into this diatribe about seeing demons underneath the overpass and asked me if i had seen them etc.. He said he never used to believe in them until he started smoking crack and meth..
Wow, you found a smart one there.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

unsainted

Post by unsainted »

Dave2 wrote:
unsainted wrote:He then proceeded into this diatribe about seeing demons underneath the overpass and asked me if i had seen them etc.. He said he never used to believe in them until he started smoking crack and meth..
Wow, you found a smart one there.

Indeed.Crazy world we live in. :eek6

Bang4Buck

Post by Bang4Buck »

For me, it is a simple matter of staying on top of the food chain. I don't want to be put in a bad situation and not have the means to protect myself.

LAYGO

Post by LAYGO »

I've written up some stories, but felt they were Never Again because I never wanted to be put in that position again:
http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=38798" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
S&W M&P 40 Mid (EDC) - S&W Shields (his/hers) - S&W M&P .45C - S&W 4513TSW .45 (1st Gen, retired to nightstand)
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG
Anderson AR15 pistol w/Aimpoint H1

08/04/2013 CHL class taken - plastic rec'd 08/26! Renewed 2018

bloodhound13

Post by bloodhound13 »

My wife had her CHL when I met her, and I never really thought I needed to get mine, until...

I was sitting at a stop sign after leaving Polytech High School in Ft Worth, two "gentlemen" were walking across the street in front of my vehicle, one stopped directly in front of my truck (spidey sense said "Get Gun out of console NOW" - which I did), while the other walked to the driver window, said "Get out of the car", and lifted his "wife beater" and showed me the butt of a poly pistol in his waistband, I shook my head and said "Mines already out", and proceeded to raise my weapon so he could see the .45 "tunnel", he turned and quickly advanced down the street, along with his associate. I went back to the school and called FWPD, gave descriptions, and filed a report.

I attended my CHL class the following weekend, and have been carrying since.

Return to “New to CHL?”