Should I take a self defense class

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
gguess66
Posts in topic: 1

Should I take a self defense class

Post by gguess66 »

I just sent my paperwork off, I was wondering if I should also take a self defense class. Here in Ft. Worth shoot smart offers one for $60 for 3 hours. :txflag: :patriot:

JALLEN

Re: Should I take a self defense class

Post by JALLEN »

Not enough details to provide meaningful analysis.

Suppose you are like me, 67 years old, a bit heavier than my doctors would like, several health issues. Personal self defense is probably out of the question for me; I can't even run anymore. I did take Krav Maga a few years back when my health and vigor were not impaired, and it is probably better than nothing.

I was intrigued with Aikido, but when I investigated I learned it took years to get to the point of usefulness. I don't have years.

My wife is 3rd Dan black belt in Tang Soo Do, the Korean MA form. She can kill you. She is younger, in good health and already trained up to be dangerous. It took her maybe 5 years or so to get to that point.

My brother in law is a retired SEAL officer. I don't know what they call his training but you don't want to mess with him, or didn't years ago. One time a fellow was breaking into his house one night. BIL, an Ironman finisher who could run more or less indefinitely, chased him, just staying in range for many blocks until the perp wannabe collapsed on the street, whereupon he kicked and beat him into a helpless heap, and left him in the street. I bet that guy never broke into a house again, if he lived. All that training was really useful.

3 hours of training will not be. I found Krav Maga to be a fairly impressive program but it too involves much more than 3 hours of training. Figure at least a year, pretty intense, and this only if you are relatively young, in good health. Watch out for salesmen who are long on baloney and short of actual teaching skills. They are called McDojos in the MA world, completely worthless Japanese pajama dancing studios. Find a Jewish Community Center and ask around for real deal Krav Maga training, to avoid imitators.

If you are going to do this, be sure you understand that defending yourself like this is as serious as it gets. If you misunderestimate a situation, you are probably going to die.
Last edited by JALLEN on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

fickman

Post by fickman »

What kind? Advanced firearm tactics? Anything you do to become more proficient with your gun will only help you. Use, strategies, reloading under pressure... people do competitions like IDPA or just take a class to sharpen their skills.

Research the qualifications of the instructor, the subject matter of the course, the class size, and feedback from former students if possible. Or get recommendations here for quality instruction.
Native Texian

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

gguess66 wrote:I just sent my paperwork off, I was wondering if I should also take a self defense class. Here in Ft. Worth shoot smart offers one for $60 for 3 hours. :txflag: :patriot:
You need some additional training just having a gun and being able to shoot isn't enough. A three hour course won't get into much.

NRA has two personal protection courses they are personal protection in the home and personal protection outside the home. If you take both you are looking at three days of training that will get into more than shooting techniques. Throw in a refuse to be a victim class and you will be well ahead of the average Joe with a CHL. Go to http://www.nrainstructors.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and look for courses in your area.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

packa45

Post by packa45 »

Always continue to improve your ability to survive an attack.

My recommendation
Take some form of hand to hand combat that also teaches weapon retention
Some form of defensive handgun/rifle/shotgun( based on what you own)
Take an into to IDPA or other course focused on rapid/multiple targets shoot and move etc)
Continue to go to the range as often as you are able (based on ammo availability/ whatever other factors concern you.)
Chl class for me and wife=$225. Chl application fees =$280. Chl gear for 2=more $ the previous. Moving from sheep to sheepdog = priceless

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

JALLEN wrote:I was intrigued with Aikido, but when I investigated I learned it took years to get to the point of usefulness. I don't have years.
That sounds like you need an instructor who focuses on principles in plain English first. I've had about a class and a half, ten years apart, (and starting a class with a new instructor tonight because he explained more to me in the first ten minutes of a two hour class last night than the previous one did in three hours) and I feel like if I practiced just what I learned last night to the point of being able to apply it, it would add two straightforward techniques and who knows how many options for things I already know how to do. (There were a couple of times I spotted a wide-open kidney shot or kick to the knee during a demonstration. Maybe he had some other defense in mind that he wasn't using because I didn't take the shot, but I guess I'll find that out as I progress.) How much practice that would take is hard to say, but I'd expect to be able to apply at least a handful of techniques within a year of three-nights-a-week classes. (Which could be 2nd degree brown belt by this dojo's standards if I make it to every class, work hard and meet all requirements on time.)

An instructor who is willing to focus on what you're able to do effectively in spite of disabilities should have you learning relatively few techniques very well. That could speed advancement once you have the principles of movement and balance down.
JALLEN wrote:My brother in law is a retired SEAL officer. I don't know what they call his training but you don't want to mess with him, or didn't years ago. One time a fellow was breaking into his house one night. BIL, an Ironman finisher who could run more or less indefinitely, chased him, just staying in range for many blocks until the perp wannabe collapsed on the street, whereupon he kicked and beat him into a helpless heap, and left him in the street. I bet that guy never broke into a house again, if he lived. All that training was really useful.
Sounds like the offensive version of the best self defense advice I've ever gotten; "Run. Run a mile. If he's still chasing you, stop and beat the crap out of him before he catches his breath."

PaJ

Post by PaJ »

gguess66 wrote:I just sent my paperwork off, I was wondering if I should also take a self defense class. Here in Ft. Worth shoot smart offers one for $60 for 3 hours. :txflag: :patriot:
Since the class you mention is at shoot smart, I'm assuming you are talking about advanced self defense with a weapon training. Having just taken a "Beyond Concealed Carry" class from Modern Self Protection, I can say you should absolutely get additional training from somewhere. The CHL testing proves you can shoot a gun at a still, paper target and a reasonable degree of accuracy. Advanced training will discuss things like shooting in a real combat situation (think BG is 3 feet away), reloading, shooting on the move, using cover and more. We were there from 9 am to 6 pm, and trained through lunch. It was jam packed with info, and there is still more for me to learn. Honestly, 3 hrs is better than nothing, but you won't learn much in a 3 hour class. That may cover 2 or 3 important areas, but not much more than that.

My class was $200 for all day and only had 6 students. We got a lot of lecture time and a lot of shooting time. It was fun and very educational.

In addition, you can also use pod casts and videos to learn certain things that will help you. They are not a substitute for actually doing the training so you gain muscle memory, but they do help you sharpen your thoughts and ideas on other factors such as situational awareness, varieties of ways to carry, legal issues and more.

Train early and train often.

Checkout the class reviews section of the forum. Maybe you can get some other ideas.

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

"Should I take a self defense class?" What's the old saying? "If you have to ask you probably do." I know that's not the actual quote. When you say self defense I'm assuming you're talking with a handgun. I would ask what the class entails, and if you think you can use that training go for it. It's only $60 and you're bound to learn something. If nothing else you might have some fun, especially if you get to shoot your firearm.

Wes

Post by Wes »

As others have said, it's always good to get actual training with your firearm. I have done the one and two day versions of Combat focus Shooting (that's just the name as it's defensive in nature, not combat btw). It taught me a ton and I have lived around guns and used them for the better part of 20 years. I have also taken several AR classes and some short half day gun skill classes similar to what your 3 hour one probably is. While not everything you go over is new or useful, All have taught me something. So, do it. You might like it and want to do more. $60 is a cheap intro imo.
Alliance Arsenal - Firearms and transfers in north Ft. Worth

couzin

Post by couzin »

Yes - you should take a defensive firearms course. But you should also have verbal judo (de-escalating) skills as well as some critical disabling and open hand skills. Ears, eyelids, and noses are just vel-croed on, did ya know that? ;-)
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

couzin wrote:Yes - you should take a defensive firearms course. But you should also have verbal judo (de-escalating) skills as well as some critical disabling and open hand skills. Ears, eyelids, and noses are just vel-croed on, did ya know that? ;-)
Yep.

Almost no one thinks about protecting knees and shins in a fight. Hard soled boots or shoes (No Leather Soles, too Slick) are a great tertiary weapon in a tight situation.

Always carry an easy to open knife where it is easily accessible with your off hand, even if you are on the ground.

:evil2:
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

On a side note: For a very short time, I took a Korean martial art course.

The reason I didn't stick with it was what seemed to me to be an indoctrination in Asian philosophy with the bowing and scraping required by the Sensei.

I'm an American, not a wannabe disciple of eastern religion and it's ways...

Dr.Wayne

Post by Dr.Wayne »

Hey im still waiting for my CHL, just bought my first gun ever, glock 43. Have basically been sleeping with it like a stuffed animal at night. I want to take some advanced tactical type of classes. I'm in the Houston area, any recommendations? Any IDPA leagues around here, says there is only one in houston and its super far from me.
First time gun owner/CHL'er
Houston, TX
Children: Glock 43, Springfield XDS-45, and happily expecting an AR-15 self build

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

Dr.Wayne,

IDPA matches are conducted at Pearland Shooting Club, which by the way is closer to Friendswood vs Pearland.

Is it too far away?

On a side note: Given you want to take 'advanced tactical type' courses, I assume you have a good basic background in pistol shooting?

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

MoJo wrote:
You need some additional training just having a gun and being able to shoot isn't enough. A three hour course won't get into much.

NRA has two personal protection courses they are personal protection in the home and personal protection outside the home. If you take both you are looking at three days of training that will get into more than shooting techniques. Throw in a refuse to be a victim class and you will be well ahead of the average Joe with a CHL. Go to http://www.nrainstructors.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and look for courses in your area.
I have taken both of these NRA classes. They are both worthwhile. :thumbs2:
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “New to CHL?”