Carry at church laws?

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Davfeathers
Posts in topic: 3

Carry at church laws?

Post by Davfeathers »

"Pc 40.035 PC §46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER. (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally fails to conceal the handgun.
(b) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed, on or about the license holder's person
(6) on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established place of religious worship."
So this part says don't carry right. But reading further below in
Pc 40.035 subsection I states "Subsections (b)(4), (b)(5), (b)(6), and (c) do not apply if the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06".
So does this mean you can carry unless there is proper signage or have been told by someone in apparent authority to not carry on premises? :txflag:

carlson1
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Carry at church laws?

Post by carlson1 »

Yes you may carry at Church.

Welcome to the Forum! You can do a search here on the Forum for this topic and there are many interesting threads covering this topic.

jmra
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmra »

What he said.

Welcome to the forum.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Davfeathers wrote: So does this mean you can carry unless there is proper signage or have been told by someone in apparent authority to not carry on premises? :txflag:
Yes, as the others have said, that is exactly what it means.

Welcome to the forum. :tiphat:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
Davfeathers

Post by Davfeathers »

Ok thanks for the replys that is how I was reading it just wanted to be sure since they word things so messed up.

rtschl

Post by rtschl »

Yes, you can carry in a church, hospital etc. as everyone else said so long as you have not been given proper notice.

I've had people including an instructor argue with me on this. So the best way I've found to explain it is that when amending laws they don't usually "erase" what has been changed. For example the 18th Amendment to the Constitution enacted Prohibition. The 21st Amendment repealed prohibition but the 18th is still in the Constitution (not erased) but it is no longer the law of the land. Same principle applies here.

Ron
Ron
NRA Member

Rrash

Post by Rrash »

A bit of advice: If you want to carry at church, don't ask a pastor or security guard permission. Just stay concealed and its none of their business. I work at a church, and I tell all that talk to me about guns the same thing. The less I know, the better.

Topic author
Davfeathers

Post by Davfeathers »

Yeah I didn't plan on asking anyone. I was carrying anyways just making sure that it was concealed anyways. But lately there have been a few others in bible study class talking chl laws and I have been reading up on them more and more. I still haven't let them know and don't plan on letting them know that I do carry. But there are six of us in bible study alone that have chl (none have stated weather or not they carry) and my wife is about to get hers once she gets finger printing done next week and papers sent out. Then it's the waiting game for her.
:txflag:

jmra

Post by jmra »

Rrash wrote:A bit of advice: If you want to carry at church, don't ask a pastor or security guard permission. Just stay concealed and its none of their business. I work at a church, and I tell all that talk to me about guns the same thing. The less I know, the better.
Yep. Loose lips sink ships.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I am fortunate enough to go to a church that the pastor believes in the 2A. We have discussed it many times and I reccommended a couple of places for him to take his class. He has had his CHL for a couple of years ago and just purchased a new Glock. We discussed going to the range together. He know that I as well as a few others carry and why I sit where I do (tactical reasons).
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Polecat

Post by Polecat »

My pastor is also one that is okay with conceal carry. I cleared it with him only because I wanted to make sure that if anything happened I could say that I'd done so - just in case anyone tried to make an issue of it. Also, we'd recently had an incident where someone who had been doing work on the building was caught with a handgun in his toolbox - and he didn't have a CHL. After some investigation, we found a lot more about him that had been misrepresented. For example, his "master electrician" certificate was a forgery. This was actually a factor in me getting my CHL when I did. We've not seen him since then, but that made a few people that knew about it nervous for a while. When I talked to the pastor about it, he actually seemed pleased.

Rrash

Post by Rrash »

My pastor is pro concealed carry as well. He works just a few offices down from me, and I see him every day. He still doesn't know whether or not I carry, and I'm content to keep it that way.

jb03

Post by jb03 »

My pastor carries himself as did a prior minister at our church. I haven't had a discussion with the current pastor, but have with several others. Needless to say, there are more than I knew at the time and probably more that I don't know about.

Return to “New to CHL?”