Carrying With One Loaded In Chamber (Question?)

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

User avatar

Topic author
kde71450
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:58 pm
Location: Richmond/Rosenberg, TX

Carrying With One Loaded In Chamber (Question?)

#1

Post by kde71450 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:19 am

New to guns and new to carry. Have just yesterday been comfortable enough to start carrying with a load in chamber. it has been said that these loads should be recycled (Separated from your regular carry ammo, and shot at range with your range ammo) BUT How long can i keep the load in the chamber (24 hours , couple of days, weeks, months?) I really don't know! :headscratch

User avatar

daniel2002p
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 225
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:19 pm
Location: DFW

Re: Carrying With One Loaded In Chamber (Question?)

#2

Post by daniel2002p » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:21 am

What I think you have been reading is that the bullet should not be racked into the chamber more than a few times to prevent bullet setback which could be pretty dangerous. I am pretty sure you can leave it in there for every (mine has been in the chamber for about 3 months now), just make sure that you check it before racking it back in to make sure that the bullet has not settled into the casing more than the rest of the bullets.

--Daniel
"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."
1)Treat firearms as if they are loaded. 2)Point the muzzle away from non-targets.
3)Keep fingers off the trigger until ready to shoot. 4)Be sure of your target and backstop.


Zen
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:46 am

Re: Carrying With One Loaded In Chamber (Question?)

#3

Post by Zen » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:32 am

What Daniel said...

Also, if you're not comfortable with carrying a round in the chamber, I think it is best for you to get more range time and comfort with the pistol of choice. You must feel confident and competent in your pistol, but also in your ability to carry and deploy it.

If you have DAO or DA/SA pistol, that's fairly straightforward.

If you have a SAO, then you have a 5 options, but really only two choices when it comes to personal defense.

Condition 4: Chamber empty, no magazine, hammer down - Not recommended for personal defense
Condition 3: Chamber empty, full magazine in place, hammer down - Not recommended for personal defense
Condition 2: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer down
Condition 1: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety on
Condition 0: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety off - Not recommended safety reasons

I just recently bought my first SAO pistol. Though I have been around firearms for a very long time, I was new to this type of pistol. I practiced with snap caps, carrying, drawing, deploying (move safety off and firing), and decocking. Decocking the loaded pistol is not that difficult, but I believe should definitely be practiced and done with clear focus on the task.

Understanding how your safety (if any) works, will also give you some confidence.


george
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1152
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:55 pm
Location: South Carolina

Re: Carrying With One Loaded In Chamber (Question?)

#4

Post by george » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:33 am

daniel2002p wrote:What I think you have been reading is that the bullet should not be racked into the chamber more than a few times to prevent bullet setback which could be pretty dangerous. I am pretty sure you can leave it in there for every (mine has been in the chamber for about 3 months now), just make sure that you check it before racking it back in to make sure that the bullet has not settled into the casing more than the rest of the bullets.

--Daniel
ditto that
... holding His hand.
NRA endowment member
TSRA life member

User avatar

couzin
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 962
Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 7:12 pm
Location: Terrell, Texas

Re: Carrying With One Loaded In Chamber (Question?)

#5

Post by couzin » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:26 pm

daniel2002p wrote:What I think you have been reading is that the bullet should not be racked into the chamber more than a few times to prevent bullet setback which could be pretty dangerous. I am pretty sure you can leave it in there for every (mine has been in the chamber for about 3 months now), just make sure that you check it before racking it back in to make sure that the bullet has not settled into the casing more than the rest of the bullets.

--Daniel
Yep - this. Remember - an unloaded gun is just a rock...!
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

User avatar

fickman
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1710
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:52 pm
Location: Fort Worth, Texas

Re: Carrying With One Loaded In Chamber (Question?)

#6

Post by fickman » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:40 pm

Zen wrote:What Daniel said...

Also, if you're not comfortable with carrying a round in the chamber, I think it is best for you to get more range time and comfort with the pistol of choice. You must feel confident and competent in your pistol, but also in your ability to carry and deploy it.

If you have DAO or DA/SA pistol, that's fairly straightforward.

If you have a SAO, then you have a 5 options, but really only two choices when it comes to personal defense.

Condition 4: Chamber empty, no magazine, hammer down - Not recommended for personal defense
Condition 3: Chamber empty, full magazine in place, hammer down - Not recommended for personal defense
Condition 2: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer down
Condition 1: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety on
Condition 0: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety off - Not recommended safety reasons

I just recently bought my first SAO pistol. Though I have been around firearms for a very long time, I was new to this type of pistol. I practiced with snap caps, carrying, drawing, deploying (move safety off and firing), and decocking. Decocking the loaded pistol is not that difficult, but I believe should definitely be practiced and done with clear focus on the task.

Understanding how your safety (if any) works, will also give you some confidence.
Condition 2: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer down
IMO, not recommended because very few single actions have a de-cocker. . . and a LOT of things can go wrong manually de-cocking a chambered firearm.
Native Texian

User avatar

texanjoker
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 2720
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:18 pm

Re: Carrying With One Loaded In Chamber (Question?)

#7

Post by texanjoker » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:24 pm

I have carried chambered due to work for two plus decades. When I worked at a large dept they gave us new ammo every 6 months.

User avatar

carlson1
Moderator
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 10241
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:11 am

Re: Carrying With One Loaded In Chamber (Question?)

#8

Post by carlson1 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:40 pm

texanjoker wrote:I have carried chambered due to work for two plus decades. When I worked at a large dept they gave us new ammo every 6 months.
They give my son is giving new duty ammo every month. They expect them to shoot "duty ammo" through their service pistol every month. They have to log in at the range monthly.
Image


Dave2
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 3146
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:39 am
Location: Bay Area, CA

Re: Carrying With One Loaded In Chamber (Question?)

#9

Post by Dave2 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:53 pm

fickman wrote:
Zen wrote:What Daniel said...

Also, if you're not comfortable with carrying a round in the chamber, I think it is best for you to get more range time and comfort with the pistol of choice. You must feel confident and competent in your pistol, but also in your ability to carry and deploy it.

If you have DAO or DA/SA pistol, that's fairly straightforward.

If you have a SAO, then you have a 5 options, but really only two choices when it comes to personal defense.

Condition 4: Chamber empty, no magazine, hammer down - Not recommended for personal defense
Condition 3: Chamber empty, full magazine in place, hammer down - Not recommended for personal defense
Condition 2: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer down
Condition 1: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety on
Condition 0: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety off - Not recommended safety reasons

I just recently bought my first SAO pistol. Though I have been around firearms for a very long time, I was new to this type of pistol. I practiced with snap caps, carrying, drawing, deploying (move safety off and firing), and decocking. Decocking the loaded pistol is not that difficult, but I believe should definitely be practiced and done with clear focus on the task.

Understanding how your safety (if any) works, will also give you some confidence.
Condition 2: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer down
IMO, not recommended because very few single actions have a de-cocker. . . and a LOT of things can go wrong manually de-cocking a chambered firearm.
IIRC, some 1911s and some revolvers don't have a mechanism to prevent a dropped hammer from moving the firing pin, which in turn means the gun actually can go off by hitting it just right if the hammer is down and a round is chambered.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

User avatar

texanjoker
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 2720
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:18 pm

Re: Carrying With One Loaded In Chamber (Question?)

#10

Post by texanjoker » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:14 pm

carlson1 wrote:
texanjoker wrote:I have carried chambered due to work for two plus decades. When I worked at a large dept they gave us new ammo every 6 months.
They give my son is giving new duty ammo every month. They expect them to shoot "duty ammo" through their service pistol every month. They have to log in at the range monthly.

I wish... in CA we qualified quarterly. We did get practice ammo every month :thumbs2: I now work in TX and we qual yearly :smash: and get no practice ammo :nono:

I still shoot each month, but not all do.


Fawbis
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:18 am
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: Carrying With One Loaded In Chamber (Question?)

#11

Post by Fawbis » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:59 pm

kde71450 wrote:New to guns and new to carry. Have just yesterday been comfortable enough to start carrying with a load in chamber. it has been said that these loads should be recycled (Separated from your regular carry ammo, and shot at range with your range ammo) BUT How long can i keep the load in the chamber (24 hours , couple of days, weeks, months?) I really don't know! :headscratch
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
43 days mailbox to mailbox.
1-15-13 to 2-27-13
Glock 19

User avatar

tacticool
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1486
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: Carrying With One Loaded In Chamber (Question?)

#12

Post by tacticool » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:33 pm

Zen wrote:Condition 2: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer down
At the risk of adding to the dog pile, this is not recommended for personal defense or any other reason with a traditional single action like a 1911 or BHP. As already mentioned, it's unnecessarily risky to put it into this state and it's no safer than cocked&locked if dropped, etc. When you need to put it into Condition 0 to shoot, there's a risk of ND when thumbing the hammer. Even worse, it's slower than racking the slide from Condition 3 for most shooters, because we have thousands (if not millions) of repetitions racking the slide with various handguns. Working the slide is also a gross motor skill, so it degrades less under stress.
When in doubt
Vote them out!


rockinar

Re: Carrying With One Loaded In Chamber (Question?)

#13

Post by rockinar » Thu May 02, 2013 2:09 pm

kde71450 wrote:New to guns and new to carry. Have just yesterday been comfortable enough to start carrying with a load in chamber. it has been said that these loads should be recycled (Separated from your regular carry ammo, and shot at range with your range ammo) BUT How long can i keep the load in the chamber (24 hours , couple of days, weeks, months?) I really don't know! :headscratch

If you don't feel comfortable with one in the chamber, that means you don't have experience with the gun. Get some more range time with it and you will get more comfortable.

To answer your question, I would take it out every couple days. But I think it could probably stay in there for weeks to months.


trobson
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 3:07 pm

Re: Carrying With One Loaded In Chamber (Question?)

#14

Post by trobson » Thu May 02, 2013 3:19 pm

I am pretty new hence the question. what is "Bullet setback"?

Thanks!

Charlie


george
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1152
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:55 pm
Location: South Carolina

Re: Carrying With One Loaded In Chamber (Question?)

#15

Post by george » Thu May 02, 2013 3:31 pm

On most pistols, as the slide begins coming forward, into battery, the lower face of the slide face pushes the back of the cartridge forward. At some point, the front of the cartride hits a feed ramp on the frame or barrel. So, the cartridge is being squeezed before it can enter the chamber. Depending upon the geometry of the pistol design, and the tension of the case on the bullet, the bullet can be pushed back into the case. When this happens, pressures rise. Most people try to minimize this by not putting the same cartridge through this procedure multiple times.
... holding His hand.
NRA endowment member
TSRA life member

Post Reply

Return to “New to CHL?”