Carrying With One Loaded In Chamber (Question?)

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
kde71450
Posts in topic: 1

Carrying With One Loaded In Chamber (Question?)

Post by kde71450 »

New to guns and new to carry. Have just yesterday been comfortable enough to start carrying with a load in chamber. it has been said that these loads should be recycled (Separated from your regular carry ammo, and shot at range with your range ammo) BUT How long can i keep the load in the chamber (24 hours , couple of days, weeks, months?) I really don't know! :headscratch

daniel2002p

Re: Carrying With One Loaded In Chamber (Question?)

Post by daniel2002p »

What I think you have been reading is that the bullet should not be racked into the chamber more than a few times to prevent bullet setback which could be pretty dangerous. I am pretty sure you can leave it in there for every (mine has been in the chamber for about 3 months now), just make sure that you check it before racking it back in to make sure that the bullet has not settled into the casing more than the rest of the bullets.

--Daniel
"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."
1)Treat firearms as if they are loaded. 2)Point the muzzle away from non-targets.
3)Keep fingers off the trigger until ready to shoot. 4)Be sure of your target and backstop.

Zen

Post by Zen »

What Daniel said...

Also, if you're not comfortable with carrying a round in the chamber, I think it is best for you to get more range time and comfort with the pistol of choice. You must feel confident and competent in your pistol, but also in your ability to carry and deploy it.

If you have DAO or DA/SA pistol, that's fairly straightforward.

If you have a SAO, then you have a 5 options, but really only two choices when it comes to personal defense.

Condition 4: Chamber empty, no magazine, hammer down - Not recommended for personal defense
Condition 3: Chamber empty, full magazine in place, hammer down - Not recommended for personal defense
Condition 2: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer down
Condition 1: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety on
Condition 0: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety off - Not recommended safety reasons

I just recently bought my first SAO pistol. Though I have been around firearms for a very long time, I was new to this type of pistol. I practiced with snap caps, carrying, drawing, deploying (move safety off and firing), and decocking. Decocking the loaded pistol is not that difficult, but I believe should definitely be practiced and done with clear focus on the task.

Understanding how your safety (if any) works, will also give you some confidence.

couzin

Post by couzin »

daniel2002p wrote:What I think you have been reading is that the bullet should not be racked into the chamber more than a few times to prevent bullet setback which could be pretty dangerous. I am pretty sure you can leave it in there for every (mine has been in the chamber for about 3 months now), just make sure that you check it before racking it back in to make sure that the bullet has not settled into the casing more than the rest of the bullets.

--Daniel
Yep - this. Remember - an unloaded gun is just a rock...!
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

fickman

Post by fickman »

Zen wrote:What Daniel said...

Also, if you're not comfortable with carrying a round in the chamber, I think it is best for you to get more range time and comfort with the pistol of choice. You must feel confident and competent in your pistol, but also in your ability to carry and deploy it.

If you have a SAO, then you have a 5 options, but really only two choices when it comes to personal defense.

Condition 4: Chamber empty, no magazine, hammer down - Not recommended for personal defense
Condition 3: Chamber empty, full magazine in place, hammer down - Not recommended for personal defense
Condition 1: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety on
Condition 0: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety off - Not recommended safety reasons

I just recently bought my first SAO pistol. Though I have been around firearms for a very long time, I was new to this type of pistol. I practiced with snap caps, carrying, drawing, deploying (move safety off and firing), and decocking. Decocking the loaded pistol is not that difficult, but I believe should definitely be practiced and done with clear focus on the task.

Understanding how your safety (if any) works, will also give you some confidence.
IMO, not recommended because very few single actions have a de-cocker. . . and a LOT of things can go wrong manually de-cocking a chambered firearm.
Native Texian

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

I have carried chambered due to work for two plus decades. When I worked at a large dept they gave us new ammo every 6 months.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

texanjoker wrote:I have carried chambered due to work for two plus decades. When I worked at a large dept they gave us new ammo every 6 months.
They give my son is giving new duty ammo every month. They expect them to shoot "duty ammo" through their service pistol every month. They have to log in at the range monthly.

Dave2
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Dave2 »

fickman wrote:
Zen wrote:What Daniel said...

IMO, not recommended because very few single actions have a de-cocker. . . and a LOT of things can go wrong manually de-cocking a chambered firearm.
IIRC, some 1911s and some revolvers don't have a mechanism to prevent a dropped hammer from moving the firing pin, which in turn means the gun actually can go off by hitting it just right if the hammer is down and a round is chambered.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

carlson1 wrote:
texanjoker wrote:I have carried chambered due to work for two plus decades. When I worked at a large dept they gave us new ammo every 6 months.
They give my son is giving new duty ammo every month. They expect them to shoot "duty ammo" through their service pistol every month. They have to log in at the range monthly.

I wish... in CA we qualified quarterly. We did get practice ammo every month :thumbs2: I now work in TX and we qual yearly :smash: and get no practice ammo :nono:

I still shoot each month, but not all do.

Fawbis

Post by Fawbis »

kde71450 wrote:New to guns and new to carry. Have just yesterday been comfortable enough to start carrying with a load in chamber. it has been said that these loads should be recycled (Separated from your regular carry ammo, and shot at range with your range ammo) BUT How long can i keep the load in the chamber (24 hours , couple of days, weeks, months?) I really don't know! :headscratch
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
43 days mailbox to mailbox.
1-15-13 to 2-27-13
Glock 19

tacticool

Post by tacticool »

Zen wrote:Condition 2: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer down
At the risk of adding to the dog pile, this is not recommended for personal defense or any other reason with a traditional single action like a 1911 or BHP. As already mentioned, it's unnecessarily risky to put it into this state and it's no safer than cocked&locked if dropped, etc. When you need to put it into Condition 0 to shoot, there's a risk of ND when thumbing the hammer. Even worse, it's slower than racking the slide from Condition 3 for most shooters, because we have thousands (if not millions) of repetitions racking the slide with various handguns. Working the slide is also a gross motor skill, so it degrades less under stress.
When in doubt
Vote them out!

rockinar

Post by rockinar »

kde71450 wrote:New to guns and new to carry. Have just yesterday been comfortable enough to start carrying with a load in chamber. it has been said that these loads should be recycled (Separated from your regular carry ammo, and shot at range with your range ammo) BUT How long can i keep the load in the chamber (24 hours , couple of days, weeks, months?) I really don't know! :headscratch

If you don't feel comfortable with one in the chamber, that means you don't have experience with the gun. Get some more range time with it and you will get more comfortable.

To answer your question, I would take it out every couple days. But I think it could probably stay in there for weeks to months.

trobson

Post by trobson »

I am pretty new hence the question. what is "Bullet setback"?

Thanks!

Charlie

Return to “New to CHL?”