Carrying With One Loaded In Chamber (Question?)

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

RX8er
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Carrying With One Loaded In Chamber (Question?)

Post by RX8er »

trobson wrote:I am pretty new hence the question. what is "Bullet setback"?

Thanks!

Charlie
It's where the bullet is pushed further back in to the case. This can and does cause higher case pressures. This can result in pressures greater than the gun to withstand and come apart.
Final Shot offers Firearms / FFL Transfers / CHL Instruction. Please like our Facebook Page.
If guns kill people, do pens misspell words?
I like options: Sig Sauer | DPMS | Springfield Armory | Glock | Beretta

txcobra
Posts in topic: 2

Post by txcobra »

Which condition is recommended for an LCP, (no safety, no accessible hammer, long pull)? I currently carry one in the chamber with the trigger area fully covered by the pocket holster to prevent Anything snagging the trigger (even though it is a very long pull), and nothing else in that pocket.

olafpfj

Post by olafpfj »

txcobra wrote:Which condition is recommended for an LCP, (no safety, no accessible hammer, long pull)? I currently carry one in the chamber with the trigger area fully covered by the pocket holster to prevent Anything snagging the trigger (even though it is a very long pull), and nothing else in that pocket.
In other words...just like a carry revolver. So long as the trigger is completely covered you're GTG.

How come no one realizes or thinks about the fact that a loaded revolver is essentially "one in the chamber"? There's no safeties on a revolver and no one bats an eye about it but everyone gets weirded out over a semi-auto that is basically in the same condition.
"If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law." -Winston Churchill

txcobra

Post by txcobra »

Well said. That was my thinking too, but wanted to see what opinions I'd get here. Thanks for the reply.

surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

I've seen some people mark a line where the bullet enters the case. If the line is not visible, then the bullet has been set back. I use federal hst 40 as my carry load and its bullets have serrations which terminate at this location. It is very easy to tell with this load if there has been set back. I have a buddy who always keeps his magazine topped off with a Hornady critical defense round because it has been designed to prevent set back.

Surfer D
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

android

Post by android »

olafpfj wrote:
txcobra wrote:Which condition is recommended for an LCP, (no safety, no accessible hammer, long pull)? I currently carry one in the chamber with the trigger area fully covered by the pocket holster to prevent Anything snagging the trigger (even though it is a very long pull), and nothing else in that pocket.
In other words...just like a carry revolver. So long as the trigger is completely covered you're GTG.

How come no one realizes or thinks about the fact that a loaded revolver is essentially "one in the chamber"? There's no safeties on a revolver and no one bats an eye about it but everyone gets weirded out over a semi-auto that is basically in the same condition.

I'm not sure why people think it necessary to frequently load and unload the weapon. Just take it out of the holster so the holster can dry out, and set it in the safe or other safe place for the night if no kids are around. When you put it back in the holster, do a press check and make sure you see brass. If you not comfortable with a loaded gun not being in a holster, stick it in an cheap Uncle Mike's for the night and then put it back in your carry holster.

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

olafpfj wrote:

Actually, I think the semi-autos are better in this regard. Seems like a rapidly reciprocating slide is more likely catch on something and get gummed up while bouncing around in a pocket than a slowly revolving cylinder.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

jayinsat

Post by jayinsat »

android wrote:
olafpfj wrote:

I'm not sure why people think it necessary to frequently load and unload the weapon. Just take it out of the holster so the holster can dry out, and set it in the safe or other safe place for the night if no kids are around. When you put it back in the holster, do a press check and make sure you see brass. If you not comfortable with a loaded gun not being in a holster, stick it in an cheap Uncle Mike's for the night and then put it back in your carry holster.
There are a number of reasons we frequently load and unload:
1) I like to dry fire practice in-between range visits and IDPA matches. Don't want to do that with a round in the chamber. I wish I had more guns that I could use an alternative, empty weapon. ALAS I don't. Working on it.

2) I shoot my carry gun monthly either at the range or at IDPA. I don't want to shoot my JHP's so I unload them to load my FMJ's. Too expensive to replace JHP's, especially Hornady Critical Defense.

3) I NEVER, EVER, hand my loaded gun to another. I will ALWAYS unload it. I chat with a lot of 2A friends and we're always handling each others firearms.

Just a few reasons why we feel the need to load/unload ammo. If I take it off at night, I just place it in my Uncle Mikes, fully loaded, next to my bed.
Armed not dangerous but potentially lethal.
CHL Application mailed 10/2/12
Plastic in hand 11/16/12

Pecos

Post by Pecos »

Mt concern is I will be carring a Glock 17 Gen 4 left handed Hip holster. My leather belt holster covers the triger guard. Is it safe to carry with round on the tube?
I would hate to have unintended discharge. Or for ease of mind is ir better to carry unchambere? Thanks. :fire
Sig AR 516 + Vortex PST Scope

android

Post by android »

jayinsat wrote: There are a number of reasons we frequently load and unload:
1) I like to dry fire practice in-between range visits and IDPA matches. Don't want to do that with a round in the chamber. I wish I had more guns that I could use an alternative, empty weapon. ALAS I don't. Working on it.

2) I shoot my carry gun monthly either at the range or at IDPA. I don't want to shoot my JHP's so I unload them to load my FMJ's. Too expensive to replace JHP's, especially Hornady Critical Defense.

3) I NEVER, EVER, hand my loaded gun to another. I will ALWAYS unload it. I chat with a lot of 2A friends and we're always handling each others firearms.

Just a few reasons why we feel the need to load/unload ammo. If I take it off at night, I just place it in my Uncle Mikes, fully loaded, next to my bed.

I can see that there are good reasons to unload, but I don't think they'll result in setback if you use good ammo and you don't do them every day.

Setback seems to happen most when somebody unloads every day and chamber the same round every time. This is going to be 30 loads a month on the same round. If you mix up rounds in a 10 round mag and only unload twice a week, then it would take you around 3 years to load the same round 30 times and you should have replace that ammo by then anyway.

I may unload my carry gun once or twice a month and I always line up the rounds and check for any differences in length. New Speer 9mm usually has a variation of a few thousandths. I've never seen anything outside that range even on ammo that I have carried and re-chambered over a few months. I'm sure there is some variation based on feed ramp polish and other factors.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Pecos wrote:Mt concern is I will be carring a Glock 17 Gen 4 left handed Hip holster. My leather belt holster covers the triger guard. Is it safe to carry with round on the tube?
I would hate to have unintended discharge. Or for ease of mind is ir better to carry unchambere? Thanks. :fire
I see you are relatively new to the forum, so welcome.

I honestly don't believe there is anyone who can be considered experienced with daily firearm carry who would recommend carrying with an empty chamber.

Daily carry: best bet is a quality gun belt with a quality holster that fully covers the trigger.

If you are still skeptical, set your handgun in your holster on a shelf for a month and see how many times the gun jumps out of the holster and fires itself. :mrgreen:
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

dukalmighty

Post by dukalmighty »

They had an LEO that had a Failure to Fire on Duty ,he was able to chamber another round and stop the threat,they sent the Speer 40 Gold Dot back to the factory to find out why it no go boom.Over several months the LEO unloaded his gun at home and chambered the same round each time.The factory determined the repeated chamberings caused the priming compound to dislodge resulting in a dead primer.
It is said that if you line up all the cars in the world end-to-end, someone would be stupid enough to try to pass them

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

android wrote:I can see that there are good reasons to unload, but I don't think they'll result in setback if you use good ammo and you don't do them every day.
I have been able to see measurable bullet setback (0.025") in rounds I loaded as few as three times, when I tested repeated loadings on about 25 cartridges.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

RottenApple

Post by RottenApple »

I do a lot of dry fire practice and unload frequently. Not every day, but at least once a week. I've never seen any of my rounds set back. Of course, I also cycle my SD ammo once a year so....

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

I am in the camp, my carry pistol loaded all the time, hammer down and no safety. I would remove my holstered carry and drop it in a small safe, all the time. There is another pistol for home defense in the same safe for wife use if I am out of the house, holstered and loaded and no safety too. Both have Light/Laser.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Return to “New to CHL?”