First carry experience

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Texas1999
Posts in topic: 1

First carry experience

Post by Texas1999 »

Received my plastic on Monday, July 29th. I didn't do a Wally Walk (or any other walk) immediately since I still wasn't fully confident in my ability to conceal (I only own a Glock 22 and it can be tough to avoid printing with it being a full size pistol). I have a Comp-Tac MTAC IWB holster for my G22 so I spent Monday and Tuesday tinkering around with carry positions, adjusting the cant, etc. until I felt I had it just right ("just right" turned out to be 3 o'clock carry position with a slight forward cant).

As it happens, tonight my wife mentioned that she needed some things from the local drug store, which happens to be about 4 blocks from where we live, in a decent urban neighborhood in Dallas but you still occasionally run across a homeless person or crack/meth head. So, of course, I volunteered to make the trip and pick up what we needed. I put on my gear and walked there.

I wasn't nervous at all, and didn't feel paranoid. I encountered a couple people during my walk, and at the entrance to the drug store there was, in fact, a homeless guy milling about asking for money. Now I know why they stressed in CHL class about situational awareness. Inside the store I went about my business and never worried anyone "knew" I was carrying.

As far as the holster and gun, it was very comfortable and never bothered me, even as I stooped down and bent down, considering it is not a compact weapon. So my confidence has multiplied.

I wore a Large Tall polo so there was never a chance of my shirt riding up. I was actually surprised at how well everything concealed. This just goes to show that I guess you don't necessarily need to buy a subcompact gun as a carry weapon.

Pics of tonight's carry with the Glock 22 in the Comp-Tac MTAC IWB holster (taken in a mirror so images are reversed)...

:txflag:
Glock 22 Gen 3

anomie

Re: First carry experience

Post by anomie »

The hybrid IWB holsters like that seem pretty good. I tried a couple different IWB and the first hybrid I tried just seemed the nicest, although I haven't tried all of them (I am carrying w/ a Galco King Tuk ... I didn't adjust it at all, I just put it at 'very slightly behind 3 o'clock' because of the cant it already had)

I tried a couple 'tall' sized shirts and they end up being too long for me, actually. Definitely no chance of the shirt riding up, but a relative PITA trying to get all that cloth out of the way to draw, and I think at least for me it's actually unnecessary. You might want to check that out too, although based on where the shirt is relative to your front pocket in the second pic you may not have that problem (I practice drawing completely unloaded, of course, when practicing drawing at home - the shirt I had that problem with covered my whole front pocket and a little more and it felt like I was moving a tent out of the way).

Sweet job concealing, and grats on your first public carry :)
Last edited by anomie on Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:08 am, edited 5 times in total.
You can have an attitude
or you can carry a gun
but you can't do both
-- unknown (If you have any information on the origination of this quote, please let me know)

Pecos
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pecos »

It looks perfectly concealed!!! I also carry a Glock 22 in a OWB holster with a slight forward cant. I carry on my left hip (Lefty) 9 oclock position.
I wear untucked shirts etc.... In your care your fine.
When I first got my CHL I was real parnoid too. You will find ways to conceal as you go. Might try size larger in T-shirts.
Looks good to me.
Sig AR 516 + Vortex PST Scope

johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

Congrats! :cheers2:

I found IWB carry to be generally uncomfortable and you have to buy new pants/shorts; I carry OWB about 95% of the time. If you're like most of us you will wind up with a drawer full of holsters.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

Pecos
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pecos »

johncanfield wrote:Congrats! :cheers2:

I found IWB carry to be generally uncomfortable and you have to buy new pants/shorts; I carry OWB about 95% of the time. If you're like most of us you will wind up with a drawer full of holsters.

:iagree: Isn't that the truth!!! I finally found 2 OWB holsters that work with my full size Glock great. There a LOT of holsters out there waiting for you!!! :thumbs2:
Sig AR 516 + Vortex PST Scope

JJVP

Post by JJVP »

johncanfield wrote:Congrats! :cheers2:

:iagree: Once I tried OWB I have not gone back to IWB. Been carrying OWB for a couple of years now, with no issues.
2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.
Alcohol, Tobacco , Firearms. Who's Bringing the Chips?
No Guns. No Freedom. Know Guns. Know Freedom.

Wodathunkit

Post by Wodathunkit »

:cheers2: congrats!

Looks good, glad it's comfy.
"Character is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking" - J.C. watts Jr.
CHL since Jan. 2013
53 days mailbox to mailbox.

Return to “New to CHL?”