The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

First carry

Post by Taypo »

I had to work today, so no chance at a Wally Walk. I promise to get that done ASAP ;-) I work in a small retail store, so I've had quite a few chances to get spotted and no comments yet.

In the meantime, I've been carrying a Springfield Range Officer (.45) in a Galco V-Hawk for about 9 hours or so. Here's some early impressions.

The holster works as advertised, but I definitely need a purpose built gunbelt. I'm wearing a thicker, all purpose belt that's sagging a bit too much. Britches have been sagging a little bit. Gunwise, I need to replace the stock grips as they're chafing a little bit, even through an undershirt. The adjustable rear sight is gonna have to go as well, it's snagging on my cover shirt occasionally

The weight of a full 1911 isnt as bad as I feared, definitely not going to be an issue once I've got a real belt.

Now, on to shopping for that new carry gun :)

mr1337
Posts in topic: 1

Re: First carry

Post by mr1337 »

Congrats! Soon you won't even realize it's there.

Just looked up your holster and wow that's pricey! I know it's quality leather. I guess I'm spoiled by the low cost of kydex.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

misterlarry

Post by misterlarry »

Congrats on carrying. You will quickly get used to it.
01/19/2013 CHL Class - 03/25/2013 CHL Arrived
NRA Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

Topic author
Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

mr1337 wrote:Congrats! Soon you won't even realize it's there.

Just looked up your holster and wow that's pricey! I know it's quality leather. I guess I'm spoiled by the low cost of kydex.
Yeah, it definitely wasn't a cheap holster but it's breaking in nicely and worth it. I'm not a kydex guy, but I'm not a plastic gun fan either. I'm not judging those of you who are though :)

Emtifre09

Post by Emtifre09 »

lol what is the wally walk?

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Emtifre09 wrote:lol what is the wally walk?
http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5204" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

rogersinsel

Post by rogersinsel »

Welcome and congrats on your carry.

Gander Mtn has some dress belts designed for holsters and while they're not as good as a custom belt I do think, they are far better than a standard belt.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/p ... t&i=437033" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you can afford to wait for delivery I found AG Custom's gun belts to be well made.

http://agcustomgunleather.com/store/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Topic author
Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

Thanks for the tips.

I asked Santa for leather, so we'll see how that pans out. 8f not, Beltman/Tucker/AG are on my short list for orders.

As a side note, I've been to one Gander Mountain (new one in Mesquite) and was thoroughly unimpressed. Is it just that store? Seemed a little half-assed

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

DaltechForce.com makes great gunbelts for reasonable cost.

Right now they are running a 15% off sale and free shipping with the correct coupon code. Don't remember the code from my phone, but call them and ask them.

Get the double thick (1/4") belt, not the single layer.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

drwatson

Post by drwatson »

I haven't had a "Wally Walk" yet, but have been to two restaurants. Not so sure I can do the time requirements for an official "Wally Walk". I'm to go in get what I need and get out kind of guy. :patriot:
Are you sure that's the way it goes?

Return to “New to CHL?”