The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Schooley
Posts in topic: 5

New to Texas, but not CHL.

Post by Schooley »

Howdy everyone,

After finishing my 6 year enlisted obligation in North Carolina I have moved back home to the great Republic of Texas :tiphat:

I was a licensed CHL holder in NC but took the course about 5 years ago and wanted to get properly introduced to everything CHL in Texas. I'm currently awaiting my CHL in the mail.

My daily carry in NC fluctuated from a XD Subcompact 9mm to a Taurus millennium to the current Taurus Judge Public Defender.

During my CHL class I rented a XD-S for qualification and was pleasantly surprised at how well it shot. I'm currently working on selling the public defender and moving towards the XD-s for an everyday carry. I am kind of on the fence between IWB (what I'm used to) and galcos ankle holster with calf strap for the XD. My line of work requires jeans everyday with steel toe boots. In the summers I wear light t-shirts in the summer and don't usually wear a jacket during the cold.

What do you guys think? I still have a couple months until my CHL comes so I'm trying to do my homework until then.

Topic author
Schooley

Re: New to Texas, but not CHL.

Post by Schooley »

A little caveat, my work requires a lot of bending/climbing ladders/ reaching overhead which is why I'm considering ankle holster.

joe817
Posts in topic: 1

Post by joe817 »

Welcome to the forum Schooley! Glad to have you with us! :tiphat:

There's a wealth of information on this forum and many great & knowledgeable people to help you.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Welcome home and thanks for your service.

I've never carried with an ankle holster, always IWB. However, I also do not do a lot of "bending/climbing ladders/reaching overhead", so I don't really have any useful advice. Just wanted to say welcome.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Topic author
Schooley

Post by Schooley »

Thanks y'all!

mcscanner

Post by mcscanner »

I ankle carry a Kahr PM9 80% of the time. If your steel toe boots go above your ankles then the holster will likely have to accommodate the boot & leg. So I am thinking that holster fit around the combination could be an issue or the fit inside the pant leg could too, because of larger overall diameter.

Just about any activity short of running works OK for me when ankle carrying. Get the pant diameter and inseam length right and you should be good to go. Not the best place to carry as it slow and awkward to get to as well as telegraphs your action. Better than under the seat in the car. :coolgleamA:

Mike
The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

Topic author
Schooley

Post by Schooley »

Mike,

Thanks for the response, getting in and out of my truck is one of the main concerns I have with IWB carry. It gets old having to ride with the pistol holstered and it's almost just as annoying having to disarm every time I get in my truck.

RKlenka

Post by RKlenka »

Schooley wrote:Mike,

Thanks for the response, getting in and out of my truck is one of the main concerns I have with IWB carry. It gets old having to ride with the pistol holstered and it's almost just as annoying having to disarm every time I get in my truck.
Maybe look into a better holster set up? I'm appendix carry here (M&Pc w/ RMR Dale Fricke holster) with leather belt loops and its easy to do some slight adjustments to get it pretty comfortable. I have never had any success nor have I seen anyone have any success with a ankle holster during any of our accessing classes, only thing else we found to be as bad are pocket holsters. I knew a very skilled guy who wore multiple holsters and would just switch handguns between positions depending on what he was doing, but then again he was a cop from South Africa.
Texas CHL Instructor - NRA Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Black powder rifle, Black powder pistol
Russian Martial Art Systema Instructor, American Ninjutsu Instructor, CTCTG Instructor/Facilitator
http://www.fortworthcombatives.com

Topic author
Schooley

Post by Schooley »

RKlenka wrote:
Maybe look into a better holster set up? I'm appendix carry here (M&Pc w/ RMR Dale Fricke holster) with leather belt loops and its easy to do some slight adjustments to get it pretty comfortable. I have never had any success nor have I seen anyone have any success with a ankle holster during any of our accessing classes, only thing else we found to be as bad are pocket holsters. I knew a very skilled guy who wore multiple holsters and would just switch handguns between positions depending on what he was doing, but then again he was a cop from South Africa.
I appreciate your input, and I understand the importance of a quick draw, however I would prefer not to "adjust" 10 times a day to be comfortable while traveling with the handgun IWB.

I could also see the ankle holster as accessible in a vehicle than any other IWB holster.

I think I have my mind made up on an ankle rig, I understand I will not draw as fast as the majority of other options. But I feel like this is the best way for me to stay armed at all times and not have to worry about printing or changing my wardrobe to fit the pistol.

Return to “New to CHL?”