Chl questions about my line of work

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
enforcerjwd
Posts in topic: 2

Chl questions about my line of work

Post by enforcerjwd »

So I went through my chl class and am waiting for my plastic now, my instructor couldn't really answer my question and said there would be a lot of people here who know the answer...

I do hotshot loads in my personal truck and personal trailer, now with my chl am I allowed to keep carrying my gun with me, or am I not allowed to because technically when loaded I'm considered a commercial vehicle, but after I drop the load off, I am un armed, what do I do, carry or not carry?

RetNavy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Chl questions about my line of work

Post by RetNavy »

This is just my opinion... as long as your truck does not have a DOT license number then its is not a commercial vehicle, I dont know if Texas has commercial plates or not....are just regular plates on your truck, do you have a CDL in order to haul your cargo?

just my opinion
"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward. Freedom will be defended!"
-President George W. Bush, September 11, 2001

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

My opinion is that two threads with the same basic subject matter is unnecessary duplication which wastes other people's time.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

mikeloc

Post by mikeloc »

enforcerjwd wrote:So I went through my chl class and am waiting for my plastic now, my instructor couldn't really answer my question and said there would be a lot of people here who know the answer...

I do hotshot loads in my personal truck and personal trailer, now with my chl am I allowed to keep carrying my gun with me, or am I not allowed to because technically when loaded I'm considered a commercial vehicle, but after I drop the load off, I am un armed, what do I do, carry or not carry?
You can carry in a commercial vehicle as long as the owner has no objections.

Topic author
enforcerjwd
Posts in topic: 2

Post by enforcerjwd »

I have my cdl, but I am the owner... I just go through a broker for my loads, and I don't have commercial plates

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

enforcerjwd wrote:I have my cdl, but I am the owner... I just go through a broker for my loads, and I don't have commercial plates
So you are simply running a pickup truck without a trailer? That is a non-regulated vehicle. If you are pulling a trailer, then the weight limit is going to make it a regulated vehicle and you would need commercial plates. Do you leave Texas? Do you keep logs?

Anyway, my answer to you in the other thread still applies regardless of vehicle type. (Why are there two threads?)
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

Jumping Frog wrote:
enforcerjwd wrote:I have my cdl, but I am the owner... I just go through a broker for my loads, and I don't have commercial plates
So you are simply running a pickup truck without a trailer? That is a non-regulated vehicle. If you are pulling a trailer, then the weight limit is going to make it a regulated vehicle and you would need commercial plates. Do you leave Texas? Do you keep logs?

Anyway, my answer to you in the other thread still applies regardless of vehicle type. (Why are there two threads?)
Because he really, really needs an answer. "rlol"
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

JKTex

Post by JKTex »

enforcerjwd wrote:So I went through my chl class and am waiting for my plastic now, my instructor couldn't really answer my question and said there would be a lot of people here who know the answer...

Allowed to keep carrying a gun with you? For 1, your CHL has nothing to do with carrying a gun in your truck. If you did before, you still do and can.

A question I have is about the notion that because a vehicle is a commercial vehicle, is there some law that prohibits a person from having a gun in the truck? I thought the only issue was whether an employer prohibited it or didn't. Either way, a CHL should have no baring either way.

Gunner4640

Post by Gunner4640 »

JKTex wrote:

Allowed to keep carrying a gun with you? For 1, your CHL has nothing to do with carrying a gun in your truck. If you did before, you still do and can.

A question I have is about the notion that because a vehicle is a commercial vehicle, is there some law that prohibits a person from having a gun in the truck? I thought the only issue was whether an employer prohibited it or didn't. Either way, a CHL should have no baring either way.
The haul drivers where I work carry all the time in co owned trucks > yep with commercial plates and 48 foot drop deck/lowboy trailers hauling permit loads inside the city of Houston and across the country. :fire
Dave & Wife NRA Members
Too many guns to list> :lol::

Return to “New to CHL?”