Carry at work?

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Carry at work?

Post by treadlightly »

the entire Bill of Rights only applies to the government. At your place of employment, you have no right to free speech, no right to bear arms, and no right to reasonable searches or to remain silent. Your employer can infringe on any of these rights and terminate you if you don't comply.
Well, the Bill of Rights applies to the government as binding them as guarantor, doesn't it? I'm not a lawyer, but I believe there must be remnants of civil rights remaining at a workplace. I guess that means I have my rights, but my employer can always fire me. I can lawfully carry, I can't force my employer to do a happy dance. :fire :anamatedbanana

oohrah
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oohrah »

Texas is an "at will" work environment. Without a specific contract, you have the right to quit whenever you want, and the employer has a right to let you go whenever they want, no reasons required in either case.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

I would love to have an ambiguous policy. I work for a very large company headquartered out of state. Our local "weapons" policy says that they will follow state laws. The corporate policy in the " workplace violence" clause states that no firearms are allowed even if you have a chl. Thing that gets me is its in the workplace violence section when chl holders are not going to be the ones that commit workplace violence. I say to the OP, carry on.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

cbunt1

Post by cbunt1 »

Don't ask, don't tell, as others have said. Your written policy does not, in its current form does not meet the requirement of "notice" under sec 30.06, but any oral notification from management would.

Thus, if you don't ask the question, they never get the opportunity to give you such effective notice.

Of course, as others mention, I'm talking about legal trouble, not "keep your job" trouble.

Properly concealed, nobody will know.
American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

Eric Lamberson

Post by Eric Lamberson »

PROPERLY concealed, no one will know. Also the earlier admonition not to discuss the topic with anyone is a very good one. Many people are hung by their own words.
Massad Ayoob Group Staff Instructor, NRA Life Member, Pistol instructor, and RSO;
Texas LTC Instructor, IDPA 6-gun Master, Suarez International Affiliate

roboto65

Post by roboto65 »

I have studied this one and they have to have the 30.06 posted in the SOPs or company book as people have said. And yeah they can fire you but you would not have broken any laws.
Reason I studied is I work on a Tugboat and was wondering about it with all the Coast Guard rules and such.

Return to “New to CHL?”